IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
revjimk (Offline)
  #1 8/9/20 11:37 PM
I just watched the Silver Crown race on PPV, & it appeared from looking at the headers that Grant, Bacon & maybe some others were running some other engine than the usual "SBC style". Anyone know what they're running? Ford or Mopar "style"?
skids59 (Offline)
  #2 8/10/20 12:16 AM
i noticed as well I believe they are Fords. I believe Klatt has ran one for several years.

Jeff Skidmore
wallbanger II (Offline)
  #3 8/10/20 8:24 AM
some toyota
opnwhlmnd (Offline)
  #4 8/10/20 8:48 AM
The Chevy guys are running an SB2 or LS type cylinder heads. They do not have the center exhaust valves next to each other which is what most look at to determine the Chevy small block. The header on these heads make it look like a Ford.

Find a purpose in life ..... Be a bad example
8 Likes: davidm, dirtball, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, rick42, skids59, superstock30, wallbanger II
skids59 (Offline)
  #5 8/10/20 9:19 AM
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd:
The Chevy guys are running an SB2 or LS type cylinder heads. They do not have the center exhaust valves next to each other which is what most look at to determine the Chevy small block. The header on these heads make it look like a Ford.
I should've known that. With that being true, I can't help but wonder just how many are Ford powered.

Jeff Skidmore
ChetC (Offline)
  #6 8/10/20 10:04 AM
If you to to USAC's Twitter, they posted an entry list that includes engine info for each car. According to that, there were three Fords (Bacon, Welpott, Grant), one Toyota (Leary) and the rest were Chevy.
18 Likes: captrat, Chief Wahoo, chrismattlin, davidm, dirtball, EBookerFan, erich45, Hubie, Hustlin-Hoosier, i love dirt track racing, Indy1808, interpreter66, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, racenut69, rick42, skids59, spicoli
revjimk (Offline)
  #7 8/12/20 3:16 PM
Originally Posted by ChetC:
If you to to USAC's Twitter, they posted an entry list that includes engine info for each car. According to that, there were three Fords (Bacon, Welpott, Grant), one Toyota (Leary) and the rest were Chevy.
Does Toyota even sell V8 passenger cars?
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #8 8/12/20 4:57 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
Does Toyota even sell V8 passenger cars?
The Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser all come with a V8.
2 Likes: davidm, Ken Bonnema
revjimk (Offline)
  #9 8/13/20 1:03 AM
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids:
The Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser all come with a V8.
Thanks. Shows how much i know about Toyotas.....
Bill Angel (Offline)
  #10 8/13/20 10:16 AM
I know of a Mopar that runs occasionally