IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
12/8/10, 12:52 PM   #61
Re: USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
JCC

I think now you will see more guys run the whole USAC schedule. I bet guys like B Fitz, Short, Riggs, Grant and more will try it. They just didnt want to spend the money on the pavement stuff.

12/8/10, 2:15 PM   #62
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Just splitting pavement out without rules changes would do nothing. That's why I said you have to do it with cost control/decrease current costs. You split out with no changes, you will see 5-10 car fields because there were cars there just because of points....no doubt about that. What they are doing now isn't working so splitting out with changes might help. Maybe it becomes a part of the road to Indy. All parts of the ladder don't have to be rear engine cars. A driver learns in all types of cars. There seems to be more of a partnership on both sides of 16th street. Keeping it the same does nothing so they might as well dump them if they don't try something else.

There is plenty of equipment out there. A way needs to be figured out to get that equipment to the track. I'm sure there are guys that don't even look at the USAC pavement schedule because they know they can't afford to run it. Plus, they only get to run a few times a year. A "new" series has to have something in place to get "new" racers to want to come and participate. I assume some homework has been done if the move is going to be made....I hope anyway.

12/8/10, 10:32 PM   #63
Need For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
My question about the pavement only series is that the only reason they had 12-18 cars was because the guys running for the sprint title were forced to run the pavement for the points. With those guys now relieved of the expense of running a pavement program because they no longer award national points who is going to run this series? Some new cars will have to magically appear otherwise I can see 5-10 cars showing up.
According to prior posts in this thread, and several posts in older threads regarding car counts at pavement races: There are a boatload of pavement cars just sitting in people's shops and garages, not being run because of the cost of tires.........

So according to these 'authorities', if USAC changes the tire rules to align more with other pavement series, or does some kind of tire limit deal, there -might- (don't hold your breath) be enough cars show up, to cause USAC to run a B main.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011