IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
K-Dawg30 (Offline)
  #1 12/5/10 4:09 AM
I think with the midget base that Illinois is begining to have with the POWRi series getting bigger every year it would be cool to have an Illinois Midget week. I mean the tracks are here:

Belle-Claire
Macon
Tri-City
Highland
Shepps
Jacksonville
Brownstown

I am sure there were a couple that I missed as well. Just seems like this is something that could work. I mean they tried to have a sprint week and I don't think it had very good support if I remember right. I think this is because there isnt a big non wing sprint base like there is in Indiana. I believe Illinois has the midget base to pull it off.

What do you guys think?
  #2 12/5/10 7:51 PM
Sounds great to me, but I would drop Brownstown & Highland, and add Peoria, Spoon River, Granite City and Danville if it survives.
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #3 12/5/10 8:14 PM
Don't forget LaSalle. Great little track and close enough to Wisconsin to draw some of them. Lincoln is also a fun little track. Don't know about Quincy, but they have a lot of races over there.

I think it is a great idea. Anything that lets me sleep in my own bed after a race appeals to me. Not that I don't like being on the road, but home is much better.

Frank Daigh
3 Likes: Jerry Shaw, Jimmydiesel, mowerman
SDHill89 (Offline)
  #4 12/6/10 2:30 PM
Spoon River is another track that would be good.
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #5 12/6/10 3:08 PM
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan:
Don't forget LaSalle. Great little track and close enough to Wisconsin to draw some of them. Lincoln is also a fun little track. Don't know about Quincy, but they have a lot of races over there.

I think it is a great idea. Anything that lets me sleep in my own bed after a race appeals to me. Not that I don't like being on the road, but home is much better.
I have to second what Frank says. I just have to see midgets at this facility. LaSalle is configured like a slightly smaller Granite City. Midgets would kick ass on this track! Plus, this is a nice place and could handle a premier midget event.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
3 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, JEFFSTOY, mowerman
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #6 12/6/10 5:07 PM
If illinois were to run a midget week with sprints as the support class, you could give the fans a great open wheel show. indiana midget week is run that way and the reason it is well attended IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, nowingsjeff
ISF (Offline)
  #7 12/6/10 6:35 PM
Years ago they ran the midgets at Fairbury American Legion Speedway and they put on a great show but that is hard core dirt latemodel territory and those shows never drew crowds like they should have.

I've watched the midgets at La Salle many years ago and they put on a great show there as well. It would be really nice to incorporate a Bob Tattersall Memorial Race into a Midget week with La Salle being less than 20 miles from Tatt's home town of Streator. Something like that is way overdue and Bob's widow Dee, who is still in remarkably good health, would be very excited as well.

I also attended a Badger show up at the Winnebago County Fairgrounds 1/2 mile in Pecotonica, IL and they were outstanding to watch there. It is a shame a facility of it's caliber sets idle.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
groove grabber (Offline)
  #8 12/7/10 10:26 AM
I dont know if you have been to Highland and Brownstown or not but I can say that the show at Brownstown last season was one of the best races of the year, the track was supurb and everyone left there sayin, holy cow, what a show!. So after running the Powri series, it would be one of the 1st on my list. as for highland, we have been rained out twice there but if all the lm shows tell anything, i believe it will be a great midget track too. jmo
Kirk Spridgeon (Offline)
  #9 12/7/10 3:52 PM
USAC Midgets are slated for Friday, September 2nd at La Salle Speedway. Event name yet to be decided upon.
4 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, ISF, skids59, Vukie
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #10 12/7/10 7:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon:
USAC Midgets are slated for Friday, September 2nd at La Salle Speedway. Event name yet to be decided upon.
Thanks Spridge. That is great news! I don't have to recommend this to any of you who have been there, but I would highly recommend that any of you who haven't been to LaSalle Speedway put this race on your calendar right now. You won't be disappointed.

Frank Daigh