IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #21 9/5/08 6:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan:
If you obey the laws, whether you agree with them or not, you are extremely unlikey to be bothered by law officers.

Is that simple enough?
So I can OBEY every law but they still have the right to stop me, question me, Run my Licence to check for warrents and search and body search both me and my car at a DUI checkpoint?

SORRY, There is no reasonable cause or suspision just because you are driving.

I've had this happen as well and because I was obeying every law and had no warrents or anything on me I was let go.

DON't say its not a bother. I was scarred and offended.
Chuck

Charles Nungester
bherzog513 (Offline)
  #22 9/5/08 6:10 PM
Originally Posted by Onlydirt:
Dont take this wrong, but I am on a bit of soap box today....We cant search your vehicle under seatbelt stops. Seatbelt stops you cant perform any type of Drug Interdiction actions on. You cant run a dog or anything on just a "Seatbelt" stop. Plain View does come into effect however, so hide your goods. And dont wear your seatbelt when you are carrying dope and try to obide by all the other 400(Just a guess, I want to say 293, but seems like there is more) and some traffic laws. :doh:

I apologize for being a little touchy today I am human.

What about any kind of suspicion? As in if the car reeks of alky, nothing can be searched as long as nothing is in view? What if the driver reeks or what if the driver doesn't and how does that law work?
Onlydirt (Offline)
  #23 9/5/08 6:12 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
So I can OBEY every law but they still have the right to stop me, question me, Run my Licence to check for warrents and search and body search both me and my car at a DUI checkpoint?

SORRY, There is no reasonable cause or suspision just because you are driving.

I've had this happen as well and because I was obeying every law and had no warrents or anything on me I was let go.

DON't say its not a bother. I was scarred and offended.
Chuck
Where was that? Indiana you can do checkpoints, but they have to be advertised, properly signed that one is ahead, and there has to be a way out of it...pretty stupid to have one, but they are effective. I dont know how you were searched....there has to be more to it. IF they get you out of the car they may pat you down to make sure you are not holding any weapons, for safety only. I cant answer much more we dont do them....ask Hamilton County they do them on every concert and arrest anyone and everyone they can.
  #24 9/5/08 6:54 PM
Originally Posted by Onlydirt:
Where was that? Indiana you can do checkpoints, but they have to be advertised, properly signed that one is ahead, and there has to be a way out of it...pretty stupid to have one, but they are effective. I dont know how you were searched....there has to be more to it. IF they get you out of the car they may pat you down to make sure you are not holding any weapons, for safety only. I cant answer much more we dont do them....ask Hamilton County they do them on every concert and arrest anyone and everyone they can.

Oh I had a box of shotgun shells on the backseat coming home from Outdoor World on a friday night. Seems the only advertisment they have about em in ohio is newspaper and radio announcments that you may or may not catch. I seen lights but thought nothing of it till I seen em checking when I got close enough. Actually I was manhandled pretty good to put me arms across hood and stuff while they yelled wheres the gun? Wheres the gun? Like I had it in my hands? Id didn't even have one.

Don't get me wrong, Nobody here is critizing you for doing your job and the way your told to do it. I have a problem with the targeting, Illegal search and seizures ect and I know its a very dangerous job. A simple traffic stop can be deadly in some cases and I know the domestics are nothing less than violent situations they stick you in.

In this case is race rigs they are targeting, Next week will be dump trucks, the next Semi's.

Chuck not saying busting law breakers is wrong but I see money grabs being the issue and not the public safety.

P.S. In Hamilton County Ohio, Cy leis dictates that if you pull em over they are getting a ticket for something. DOn't waist your time! Told to me by several deputies I know.

Charles Nungester
skids59 (Offline)
  #25 9/5/08 7:17 PM
Illinios is almost as bad if not worse.Recently I recived a seat belt ticket,and 2 warnings; 1 for windshield obstruction( minature sports helmet hanging from mirror) 2 ball hitch on bumper. The ticket I recieved had me listed in my truck, the warnings had me driving an 80 Chevy truck. Whats up with that? I went to pay my ticket 3 days later with $50 worth of pennies I had purchased from the bank, just as a harrasment to them as they were harrassing me, and they refused to accept them. Since when aren't coins a form of CASH ?
ThaBurgFan (Offline)
  #26 9/5/08 7:57 PM
I really wanted to stay out of this but since some people seem to be stretching the truth about the law, all I can say is get a box of Kleenex. Ty has only been trying to explain and some people have been jumping on him. I'll agree that some laws are petty but to say that those laws are there just so we can search is absolutely untrue. The DOT thing is ridiculous and seems overly picky.

At least this topic made for good spirited discussion.

Shane who thinks Chuck is ready to move into a cabin out in Idaho, grow a long beard and not pay anymore taxes to the tyrannic government. (just kiddin Chuck)

Shane
terrehautian (Offline)
  #27 9/5/08 8:02 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=man+p...e7&rlz=1I7SUNA

your not the first to try. I remember reading a story of guy who was sent a ticket with a picture from a red light camera, he sent in a picture of a cashiers check back to them, and they sent back a picture of handcuffs. I believe he paid the fine or he was arrested.

I know last weekend in Illinoise, they had a state police car posted every 10 miles on major highways. I think what police should do is stop buying Crown Vics. Why, what does everyone do when they see a crown vic, slow down. What do you do if you see a Chevy Malibu or some other common car? Nothing, seeing a crown vic only slows you until you are not anywhere near that car then you speed back up. I know this sounds like entrapment, but I believe only slwoing you down once only scares you temp. Not knowing what a cop is driving means you drive more cautious when driving.
  #28 9/5/08 8:06 PM
Originally Posted by ThaBurgFan:
I really wanted to stay out of this but since some people seem to be stretching the truth about the law, all I can say is get a box of Kleenex. Ty has only been trying to explain and some people have been jumping on him. I'll agree that some laws are petty but to say that those laws are there just so we can search is absolutely untrue. The DOT thing is ridiculous and seems overly picky.

At least this topic made for good spirited discussion.

Shane who thinks Chuck is ready to move into a cabin out in Idaho, grow a long beard and not pay anymore taxes to the tyrannic government. (just kiddin Chuck)

Shane
I never jumped on Ty one bit and said so and he agreed with me to a extent. As for taxes and pollitics. ALl I'll say is throw Jimmy Carter policies back into place and watch what happens 300 people lined up a McDonalds for four jobs.

Charles Nungester
Motormasher (Offline)
  #29 9/5/08 8:26 PM
Chuck you are exactly RIGHT ON EVERY POINT you have made here and are a perfect example of whats going wrong with the Law.
Seat Belt tickets are a JOKE!
What gets me is they give these cops $60,000 cars to go out and write $25.00 tickets, but your right, they just want to INVADE YOUR PRIVACY!
The beer in the parking lot story is a real "winner". . . unbeleivable!
CRA91 (Offline)
  #30 9/5/08 8:45 PM
Originally Posted by Motormasher:
Chuck you are exactly RIGHT ON EVERY POINT you have made here and are a perfect example of whats going wrong with the Law.
Seat Belt tickets are a JOKE!
What gets me is they give these cops $60,000 cars to go out and write $25.00 tickets, but your right, they just want to INVADE YOUR PRIVACY!
The beer in the parking lot story is a real "winner". . . unbeleivable!
What's Big Brother got up his sleeve next?
Having to have papers to cross state lines!:thumbsdown::kookoo:headbang:moon::censor:

Terry James Jr.