IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #21 6/6/22 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
As far as the wing shows at Kokomo recently, the track was rented to someone else. I was told by someone close to the promotional team, that the Outlaws didn't want to come back. Not sure why. As far the All Stars go, my guess is they were not profitable. My guess is they were probably a year away from being profitable, as the All Stars seemed to be on the rise.
Considering how much WoO used Lil Haud’s move in the dash for promotion, the irony of them not wanting to come back would be… well, rich.

As far as the fence being sub par. If it’s too dangerous, maybe they could make it an invitational only?
2 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #22 6/6/22 11:08 PM
I've been to maybe a half dozen winged shows at Kokomo, WoO, All Stars, SOD, GLOSS, and they have all been GREAT !

Personally, I would be very receptive to them, and the non-wing status quo does not have to suffer. Kokomo just needs a few more dates. They do not run weekly. It is up to Jim and the crew to stage the events.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, fish, tirespinner
sjracer26 (Offline)
  #23 6/7/22 6:26 AM
We, Indiana Racesavers, have a winged race at Kokomo October 15th for the Klash. Outlaws are badass at Kokomo for sure, and pretty much anywhere really. Obviously we can't hold a candle to the outlaws or all stars but we still turn faster laps then the nw 410 guys almost always and put on good shows. I'm biased of course. Either way hope you all check us out sometime.
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, fish, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #24 6/7/22 8:39 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Well the fence isn't good enough for one. Im not knocking it but seen a car go out and a axle come thru it landing near a handicap fan in a wheel chair.
You know that fence came from the IndyCar track that was in Chicago. It was built to the specs of the engineer. I do remember Hopkins clearing it in the turn, but don't remember an axle landing near someone in a wheelchair. When was this?
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #25 6/7/22 1:32 PM
You know that fence came from the IndyCar track that was in Chicago. It was built to the specs of the engineer. I do remember Hopkins clearing it in the turn, but don't remember an axle landing near someone in a wheelchair. When was this?
It was near the old pit grandstand. He was sitting off to the side of it and a axle landed right next him in is wheelchair. His name is Danny and is a former sprint racer I said I wasn't knocking it, I seen the same thing happen at atomic front stretch.

The front straight at Kokomo has good fence but what was over there was pasture square fencing. I also feel safe in the back stretch. I also remember Ballou or someone jumping thru the fence over there to get to a flip at a smackdown or something

Charles Nungester
  #26 6/7/22 1:43 PM
Originally Posted by The Prodigy:
Hey Chuck did they ever do anything with that old gun powder factory in your neck of the woods?

Condo's are in it and a brewery restaurant in the old power building. Building a new bridge down there and taking out all but one turn on the road considering ten times the traffic comes thru here than when I was a kid coming up to my cousins. It's well beyond time for that horse trail to be modernized

Charles Nungester
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #27 6/7/22 4:58 PM
It was near the old pit grandstand. He was sitting off to the side of it and a axle landed right next him in is wheelchair. His name is Danny and is a former sprint racer I said I wasn't knocking it, I seen the same thing happen at atomic front stretch.

The front straight at Kokomo has good fence but what was over there was pasture square fencing. I also feel safe in the back stretch. I also remember Ballou or someone jumping thru the fence over there to get to a flip at a smackdown or something
I have been to every smackdown except last year. Don't remember that. Which one were you at? Don't remember seeing you
4 Likes: Dirtfan, DirtTrackTherapy16J, fish, tirespinner
staggerman (Offline)
  #28 6/7/22 5:01 PM
I think the Woo have several tracks they like to visit every 3-4 years. They make it a super special event that they are there and then it is off the schedule again. I think Kokomo is one of them, Fremont, OH is another, along with a few others. Would love to see the Woo back at Bloomington.
3 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, PIT CART, tirespinner
  #29 6/7/22 6:16 PM
I have been to every smackdown except last year. Don't remember that. Which one were you at? Don't remember seeing you

Ask Danny Pollock, he posted the pic of the axle right next to him and his chair. I also said smackdown or something. It was a USAC show Im pretty sure that Ballou jumped thru the fence to get to a accident sceen.. No, I haven't been up there since I think 2018 for the Grand Prix.

Why the one-upmanship? And pointing out a safety issue is wrong? The solution doesn't necessarily cost much at all. (No standing or walking within10-25 feet of those areas) They've made vast improvements. I was not intending to diss Kokomo only pointed out one possible reason. Even WRG changed it's own fencing at Vollusia when cars exited the track.

Charles Nungester
fish (Offline)
  #30 6/7/22 6:36 PM
The solution doesn't necessarily cost much at all. (No standing or walking within10-25 feet of those areas)
The whole area you are talking about was blocked off to spectators at the 2022 opener.

Incite your heart to see beyond the view.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner