IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Meeting
3/2/14, 8:43 PM   #1
USAC Silver Crown Meeting
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Hey y'all, I wanted to write this and let you guys know what was said at the meeting yesterday and what perspired. First off, attendance was pretty good with not too many empty seats but not sure how the phone attendance was. The meeting was short and sweet. He emphasized that USAC used to be one of the biggest sanctioning bodies and he wants to see it get back to that point and wants every owner to be proud to have the USAC crest on their car. He said no rules will be changed for the first few races unless there is a safety issue. The goal is to get stability in the series and then work on going up from there. There has been a lot of things to burn teams and drivers out, but Andy wants to build a relationship and he is willing to talk to any drivers, owners, or anyone serious about going champ car racing. For those of you who have cars and haven't been contacted please don't think Andy is ignoring you or picking favorites. He does not have contact information for numerous teams and would greatly appreciate your info. The goal is to make everyone happier, full circle. It starts at USAC getting sponsors and title sponsors interested and they pay the purse and all the other numerous things they have to pay for to make it a great event, then teams interested in fielding cars and get all the big names there which in turn get fans in the stands, and then they have to put on a great race to make them happy. Fans don't want to see a race with just 6 cars finishing. It's a full circle to try and appease everyone and make everyone happy in turn. It is not going to be an easy turn around but the meeting was positive and Andy said if you have questions or complaints, not to go write them on the computer because the bashing does not resolve anything. Rather Andy said to contact him, by email. After the meeting I believe this series with a little help from Andy Hillenburg, USAC, teams, drivers, and fans we will see the champ cars back to a former glory. To close, I'd like to remind you all that the Sumar Classic will be at Terre Haute on April 6th. 100 lap feature too Hope to see you there!

3/3/14, 11:50 AM   #2
Re: USAC Silver Crown Meeting
mac miller

Here are a few realities, that nobody seems to want to face, about champcars/silvercrown and why they went into the dumpster.

* The real champ/silvercrown cars were built to run 100 mile races, nonstop, on one mile tracks.
not 50 lap races at Edora..not 100 lap races at Terra Haute and not 50 laps/stopforfuel/50laps at the Indiana State Fair.

* The real champcar/silvercrown cars had real Indycar engines like OFFYs and four cam Fords, not chevys, and they were driven by real INDY car drivers.

* The real champcar/silvercrown were beautiful to look at, not the current ugly square, wedge coupe top supermodifieds with the ridiculous cartoon size wheels and tires.

Certainly, what finished off silvercrown for good was the goofy usac/nascar super silvercrown safety spec racer of a few years ago.

If silvercrown can not find enough real mile tracks that will schedule them and must use half miles, then the "half mile" races should be 200 laps/100miles.

If they want to bring back silvercrown they need to start by reading this post!

mac miller in INDY

3 members like this post: DAD, dave, team3521
3/3/14, 12:24 PM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Or, you could call Andy, tell him yourself, as was suggested above...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 3/3/14 at 12:26 PM.

6 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, PJ Wright, racefan20, racephoto1, SETracing, Ty
3/3/14, 12:50 PM   #4
DAD

Mac

First thing off the bat, I don't think one of these new Indy Motors would have enough torque to pull one of them dinasour around a one mile dirt track. And I am almost for sure with a champ car transmission they could ever take off on their own without burning up the clutch.

Then You want a millionaire Indy driver with no dirt track experience to drive one of them beast's with the rear end hanging way out beside him through the turns. That would be quite a show.

The days of Foyt and the 4 cammers is over. RIP. We need to adjust and maybe work on one really big race for the BIG CARS that might entice some other big time for real open wheel drivers to compete in.

Why not find a track and run a 250 or 500 mile race with plenty of time for set up and adjusting for these things, Indy is water under the bridge, If we can put on a better race than Indy and that shouldn't be too hard the crowd will come.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/3/14 at 1:16 PM.

3/3/14, 4:53 PM   #5
DAD

Good flick could have used English subtitles.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/3/14 at 5:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: Robbie
3/3/14, 7:02 PM   #6
sc96

I hope Andy can get the division turned back around but after the beating all of the car owners took over the last few years its gonna be a up hill pull through 4 ft of snow for several seasons in my opinion he USAC needs to do some things to help the small teams out not just focus on the big unlimited money guys

3/3/14, 7:11 PM   #7
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
I hope Andy can get the division turned back around but after the beating all of the car owners took over the last few years its gonna be a up hill pull through 4 ft of snow for several seasons in my opinion he USAC needs to do some things to help the small teams out not just focus on the big unlimited money guys
Rodney,

I have no dog in this fight except I love watching the Silver Crown cars run from a fans perspective. What types of things do you feel that Andy/USAC need to do to help the small teams out? Are there car owners out there that are willing to work together to get their point across to Andy/USAC? Have you relayed your concerns to Andy/USAC? Again, I am only a fan hoping that this series can not only survive but sometime down the road thrive.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3/4/14, 4:24 PM   #8
dave

3/5/14, 9:23 AM   #9
sc96

In my case and others I'm sure USAC led us down a path we and others supported them by buying new cars ( yes it was our choice we did it in support of USAC) that cost was around 80k per car then USAC dumped it at 0 cost to them (USAC) wouldn't you think that the least they could do would be maybe call those teams up that supported them and say hey this isn't working were going back to the old cars we (USAC) you guys spent a lot of money so to help ease this sting were going to wave your entry fees for 10 races and give you free membership for say 2 yrs and yes this was all brought up to USAC Andy will have to do a lot of work to mend some of these fences and I wish him the best and I hope he is successful at getting the silver down div back on top.

5 members like this post: EBookerFan, IndyBound, interpreter66, mowerman, Mud Packer
3/5/14, 9:39 AM   #10
sc96

I should have also said from what I have herd about Andy if anyone can pull this thing back to greatness it will be him

4 members like this post: IndyBound, ISF, midget96, Mud Packer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Meeting