IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is this the end of THAT?
9/22/22, 2:24 PM   #51
Re: Is this the end of THAT?
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Been going there since 1967 Hut 100 and witnessed a lot of drama.
Anyone remember Dave Allison?
Many of us would like to forget him

5 members like this post: Dirt Trackker, PIT CART, racefan20, ronmil, superstock30
9/22/22, 2:47 PM   #52
B99

This was as of 2019-these are not political appointees or elected officials. The WVFA is organized as a non profit organization.

WABASH VALLEY FAIR ASSOCIATION, INC.
2019 OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
President – Mike Morris
Vice President – Bill Bryan
Secretary – Gary Gottardi
Treasurer – Terry Hayhurst
Mark Bilyeu Anson Good James Holscher, DVM Doug Mahurin Chad Morgan
Andy Curry Kurt Hamilton John Klotz II Mike McKee Hannah Pruitt
Greg Ewing Dave Hartmann Ron Lamb Brady Meadors Larry Sample
John Fitzpatrick Sharon Hartmann Floyd Lee, DVM Jeff Michl Robert Thompson
Ex-Officio (Voting)
Kristi Whitacre – Purdue Extension
Aaron Loudermilk – County Counci

2 members like this post: oppweld, The Old Coyote
9/22/22, 3:11 PM   #53
DaleDuBois

I know Dave and I think he still owns a racetrack.

9/22/22, 3:14 PM   #54
TQ29m

Asking for a friend, just wondering if that John Klotz ll is any kin to the synthetic oil man John Klotz 🤔

9/22/22, 4:37 PM   #55
kdobson

Five Grand Per Night Rent? No chance at that price to race more than a few really big ones.

And that's one of the major problems facing the sport. We take up a fair amount of land to do our thing. Land has value. Facilities have value. Try to finance a good portion of that on a weather dependent operation that only holds 20ish events per year.

You either need to have some sort of quasi-public venue such as a Fairgrounds (like we do at Jacksonville) and a Fair Board that realizes that having ongoing operations on the premises outside of the week or two of the fair actually relieves them of expense and maintenance for part of the facility they would otherwise absorb - and thereby charge a reasonable rent in light of that which might not make great business sense for them on paper.

Or you need to have enough money to operate a privately owned track as a hobby expense - or have the major part of the capital expense out of the way from prior generations etc. I don't see where you confidently finance more than 500k for a nice facility for racing unless it has an incredible history or has multiple uses to generate other revenue.

The only other way I can see is to just have a very, very popular venue that can draw a really good crowd like clockwork. Five grand per event almost excludes anything from mathing-out after basic expenses and purses for any event that can't draw 1,200+ fans every single time. I know you guys draw good crowds in Indiana - but there's no wiggle room for clouds at 5 grand.

9/22/22, 4:39 PM   #56
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
I know Dave and I think he still owns a racetrack.
I think he owns North Vernon

9/22/22, 5:18 PM   #57
Andrew S. Quinn

Always enjoy it when you post here for a "behind the scenes" look on things.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
Five Grand Per Night Rent? No chance at that price to race more than a few really big ones.

And that's one of the major problems facing the sport. We take up a fair amount of land to do our thing. Land has value. Facilities have value. Try to finance a good portion of that on a weather dependent operation that only holds 20ish events per year.

You either need to have some sort of quasi-public venue such as a Fairgrounds (like we do at Jacksonville) and a Fair Board that realizes that having ongoing operations on the premises outside of the week or two of the fair actually relieves them of expense and maintenance for part of the facility they would otherwise absorb - and thereby charge a reasonable rent in light of that which might not make great business sense for them on paper.

Or you need to have enough money to operate a privately owned track as a hobby expense - or have the major part of the capital expense out of the way from prior generations etc. I don't see where you confidently finance more than 500k for a nice facility for racing unless it has an incredible history or has multiple uses to generate other revenue.

The only other way I can see is to just have a very, very popular venue that can draw a really good crowd like clockwork. Five grand per event almost excludes anything from mathing-out after basic expenses and purses for any event that can't draw 1,200+ fans every single time. I know you guys draw good crowds in Indiana - but there's no wiggle room for clouds at 5 grand.

9/22/22, 6:02 PM   #58
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Not sure, Might own the property. But the lease was by the Brownstown promoter who sub leased it to someone with a no compete clause (Meaning no racing against them) It don't appear to have worked out.

D.A was a piece of work Im glad LPS survived him.

2 members like this post: Rapid Rick, ronmil
9/22/22, 8:23 PM   #59
Rapid Rick

Being a special event facility, the Action Track needs good dates (and some help from mother nature). This season has provided neither. The Sumar was as good a race as I saw this year, but if I recall it was a Sunday night. They moved the Hulman Classic from its long held date the week of the 500 in favor of Circle City. The fall race has never been well attended and my guess is Sept. 30 would have been a small crowd again.

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
9/22/22, 11:00 PM   #60
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Tom’s Commercials LLC (Tom Wetherald) owns Twin Cities.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Ilovedirttrackracing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is this the end of THAT?