IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules
10/28/07, 7:37 PM   #21
Re: Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Nevermind

10/28/07, 8:12 PM   #22
Mr. Happy

i'm done here.

10/28/07, 8:28 PM   #23
BrentTFunk

Its 2007 not 1950[/QUOTE]

Compare the crowds, racing 5 to 7 times a week. Everyone actually making money. Kokomo used to have seats everywhere but turns 1 and 2. 3 sets of bathrooms( even if they weren't flushies). Crowds of 4000 to 6000. We may never see those glory days again, but the sport continues to attract less fans. That is why promoters add more classes at the back gate to pay the purses.

10/28/07, 8:33 PM   #24
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Its 2007 not 1950
Compare the crowds, racing 5 to 7 times a week. Everyone actually making money. Kokomo used to have seats everywhere but turns 1 and 2. 3 sets of bathrooms( even if they weren't flushies). Crowds of 4000 to 6000. We may never see those glory days again, but the sport continues to attract less fans. That is why promoters add more classes at the back gate to pay the purses.[/QUOTE]Actually, Brent, it happened the other way. Promoters added classes extending the length of shows, and drove the fans away.

10/28/07, 11:01 PM   #25
Blackduce

Rex, after talking to Hoosier Reps they thought a 10in or 12in with a harder compound would make sense. They said they also make such a tire or have the molds already. Rear tires made the most sense, and leave the fronts alone. Several reasons were mentioned that the narrow harder tire would be a plus. Never was bicycling an issue. With the wider and softer tires we run today we can create a slick track very easy. Also it's harder to have a good cushion that will last. They thought every thing would be a plus and could not think of one negative. The engine would not be working as hard. Rex last Sundays Kokomo's grandstand looked like the one in your cool drag picture. Also are both those pictures the 12 inches you were talking about? Ha!

Lynn

10/28/07, 11:18 PM   #26
Sprint63122

The narrow tire is a great first choice to put some racing back in winged racing and the two other things I like would be to cut the size of the wing back like it was in the early 90's and make them bolt the real size sprint car tail tank back on these cars and have 40 lap features again.During the feature if you run out of gas or wear a tire down to the cords and it goes flat then you are done for the night not one to wait patiently for the lets work on it red flag deals here.And taking the cockpit adjustable shocks away is a great idea to it is about time to unhook the cars and let the drivers decide the racing outcome again.

10/28/07, 11:25 PM   #27
DJ Ott22

Leave it the way it is like someone said before if you put a narrower tire on the right rear of a sprint car you are going to cause more bicycling.. most of you have probably never had to repair or pay for the cost of one but if you bicycle the car hard its gonna cost you a lot to repair it.. the little guy is going to suffer even more also with the cost of wheels and tires... you figure $350 for a RR wheel plus another $200 or so for that tire and your going to need more than one of both of those... and what would you do with your old ones? throw them in a pile out back because you would no longer have any use for.

If you were to put the narrow tire on there though you would have to have it spaced out so far it just wouldnt be possible.. The wider tire is something for the car to lean on in the corner.. Take that away and your going to lose what sprint car racing is meant to be. Want the narrow tire? thats what a midget has right? problem solved.

As for adjusters in the cockpit I think some should be regulated.. maybe something like you can have 1 cockpit adjuster choose which one you want and better hope that is the one your gonna need..

10/29/07, 5:51 AM   #28
cecil98

I agree with Joe Snyder. The skinny tires will get too much side bite. Use the common width tires with a much harder compound if you're going to have a tire rule. Also, someone mentioned a "maximum" of 21.5 inches for spacing the RR. I would beg to differ and say make 21.5 a "MINIMUM" for spacing. Unless I'm doing something wrong, we move our RR "out" to loosen the car up.

10/29/07, 5:56 PM   #29
Tyler Shoemaker

I would say that they are making an effort to get the cost down. As some people have stated before, money will always come to the top. There is no way around it. We can slow it down for a while, then it catches back up with technology. I think the point Lynn is trying to make is that if you have a smaller tire, yes you may have more side bite or a harder time controlling the car, But that is the point. It will make a less of a need to have a $40,000 850 hp motor. You won't need it and couldn't use it. It would be entirely too fast to have it. That itself would keep the cost down. Then the motor builders would have to figure a way to still make money on machine work with a smaller motor which midget motors are still $40,000. A guy can put together a motor fairly cheap to run in almost any non-wing deal. Especially as much dry conditions we have had in the past few years. I enjoy running on the slick when you are still able to pass. Sure it is not as fast but there is more driver involved. The problem with slowing the cars or lowering the horsepower now, is that the fans may see it as a step backwards. Not as many wheel stands, although the racing may be better. Not taking away from anyone here, but we would see who was who.

I think it is a great idea. The intial cost would be more to replace with the smaller stuff, but the money you would save on the motor would surpass the wheel and tire bill.

Just a thought.

Tyler Shoemaker

www.tylershoemakerrracing.com

10/29/07, 6:08 PM   #30
Jerry Spencer

I say leave it as it is. J.M.O.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules