IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jonr (Offline)
  #51 7/15/22 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ray3:
All I see there is excuses. The purse is abysmal for the Chili Bowl. He says several times that Bell and Larson don't call him. Only reason Hahn wants them to call is so he can make a side deal with those guys and continue paying everyone else peanuts.

Breakdown:
Entry Fees: $150X394 cars = $59,100
Pit Passes: 394X6 people per car = 2364X$375 (multi day pit pass) = $886,500 this is probably extremely low.

Just in those two revenue sources we are at $945,600.00. By his own admission it costs $1 million. We are almost there and we haven't sold a single ticket yet.

Let say he sells 10,000 tickets for the week. 10,000X$365 (week long ticket) = $4,380,000

So just rough numbers before any sponsorship, no TV rights and no fuel sales....

Total reveunue = $5,325,600.00-$1,000,000(costs) = $4,325,600.00 in NET PROFIT!
First off, I think that Emmitt makes a lot of money on the Chili Bowl. As far as I know, he he is still partners with the Ross family for this event. (Perhaps he bought out Lanny's portion from the Ross family when Lanny passed away)

As others stated, I think the million dollar number was a rhetorical number and that it costs more than a million to put it on.

Finally, your numbers are very suspect.

Entry Fees- No issues.
Pit Passes- Not every car brings 6 people. 6 is a very high number. Also not everyone is buying a multi day pit pass.
Ticket entrance 10,000 X 365 equals 3.65 million not the 4.3 million that you stated.

As you stated there are other revenue streams not stated, but those numbers would be even more suspect than the ones we have. (How much does streaming actually pay?)

Do I think that the Chili Bowl turns a handsome profit? yes. Do I think that the Chili Bowl in making over 4 million in profit? no
2 Likes: flagboy55, Pitdad
Ray3 (Offline)
  #52 7/15/22 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Im just sick of the everyone being jealous of someone else's success and demanding a piece of it. I mean come on, I wanted to win this since I was a little kid in the stands, To it's not that big of race?

It was brought out here that it probably helps ACSC as Knoxville basically supports keeping the track racing all summer while the rest of it's races Lose money . As does Sprint week and other specials keep Indiana tracks open.

Midgets lasted two years in the Gateway nationals. Could of been great and well paying. Not supported........ Believe what you want.
Totally agree that the race is a big deal and those guys are downplaying its significance. That is obviously by design to put pressure on Hahn to cough up the money. However, I don't think anyone is jealous. They're trying to help the racers with their star power. He makes a lot of money and paying more won't hurt him. The racers spend a week in Tulsa spending thousands on expenses and get paid virtually nothing. By comparison the Knoxville Nationals pays an almost $1million purse with less than half the cars and two less days of revenue? Come on, I was born at night but not last night.

I disagree that ASCS or Knoxville are using money from this to support that. That is bad business. They might break even from ASCS and Knoxville and make their real money elsewhere though.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, flagboy55
Ray3 (Offline)
  #53 7/15/22 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
First off, I think that Emmitt makes a lot of money on the Chili Bowl. As far as I know, he he is still partners with the Ross family for this event. (Perhaps he bought out Lanny's portion from the Ross family when Lanny passed away)

As others stated, I think the million dollar number was a rhetorical number and that it costs more than a million to put it on.

Finally, your numbers are very suspect.

Entry Fees- No issues.
Pit Passes- Not every car brings 6 people. 6 is a very high number. Also not everyone is buying a multi day pit pass.
Ticket entrance 10,000 X 365 equals 3.65 million not the 4.3 million that you stated.

As you stated there are other revenue streams not stated, but those numbers would be even more suspect than the ones we have. (How much does streaming actually pay?)

Do I think that the Chili Bowl turns a handsome profit? yes. Do I think that the Chili Bowl in making over 4 million in profit? no
I meant to put 12,000 not 10,000. My mistake. But like people have said the web site says the place holds 15,000 seats. I only went to 12,000 to give myself wiggle room. Add the other 3,000 and that's another $1 million in revenue for the week. The pit pass number is low. How many people buy a pit pass and never sit in the stands? Plenty!! You really don't think there are at least 2400 people in the pits all week? Really? Don't forget the ticket holders that also purchase a pit pass so they can go back and hang out with the teams. And the Mon/Tue where the pits aren't as full or stands has one or two open seats equates to very insignificant numbers. Me being as conservative as I've been more than makes up for that slush.

I disagree with everything else you stated. He is making over $4million. The numbers don't lie. And I was extremely conservative. I didn't even try to put the other numbers together because I agree, they are too variable and suspect. However, we more than paid for the event. His expenses could be double the $1million he said it costs and he is still making $3million in profit! If I'm off at all its only by a few hundred thousand either way not millions.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #54 7/15/22 1:40 PM
Never seen anyone win the indy 500 and six months later say, It's not that big of a race. BTW, Look what Indycar did to itself with just the same attitude. Indy's still around, CART is not.

Charles Nungester
  #55 7/15/22 1:42 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Never seen anyone win the indy 500 and six months later say, It's not that big of a race. BTW, Look what Indycar did to itself with just the same attitude. Indy's still around, CART is not.
Next year because Husets is paying 250k to win. The Kings Royal just ain't that big of a race anymore.......... SMH. If you could prove to me it's for the betterment of all racers. I'd see that point, But Now I kinda see it as a insult. Expecially when they'll jump in the micros/mini's etc spend almost as much to do it and race for a trophy.

Charles Nungester
chrismattlin (Offline)
  #56 7/15/22 2:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ray3:
I can't believe the people on here that take positions against the racers. For years when the Chili Bowl purse came up in conversation people would say "Until people stop going he won't raise the purse." Now some very influential people have stood up and said I'm not going until he raises the purse and everyone is against them. If this was a local Indiana track everyone would be chastising the promoter. The double standards people have is just ridiculous. I applaud Kyle for taking a stand. Takes a lot of character to stand up for what you believe in especially in the face of such scrutiny. He could have easily made a side deal with Hahn for appearance money, took it and nobody would be the wiser. He didn't do that and instead is trying to make it better for everyone.

I also just love how people flat ignore the financial numbers. Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. Hahn is making over $4million in profit and you guys are still against the racers getting a bigger piece of the pie?
Dude....
I can't take you too seriously when you over-simplify the way you did. The expenses are WAY OVER $1 million. Ever heard of insurance? Does the track build itself and disassemble itself? Are there yearly capital expenses? Does everyone work for free? Is there zero money spent on marketing? I could go on and on if I sat here and thought about it. You make it seem like they pay the Expo Center's rental fee and, POOF!, a race magically happens.

Like I've said before, I believe they probably could pay a bit more, but these highfalutin millennials are going about it all wrong. They haven't even spoken to the man who matters!

You know what? I believe that the county there are the ones who are coming out smelling like roses. Why don't these guys partner with the Hahns and maybe show up to a county commissioners meeting and try to shake some of that money out of THEIR pockets? It would be all over the local news there if CBell and Larson showed up to a meeting, and they all could end up looking like heroes. Governments will give out a million dollars all day everyday if they're getting back $15 million. But no one is even trying. Go get the Tourism and Visitors bureau to up the purse- it would be stupid if they resisted.

It seems to me that the people who should be sticking together are instead cutting off their noses despite their faces.
  #57 7/15/22 2:55 PM
Originally Posted by chrismattlin:
Dude....
I can't take you too seriously when you over-simplify the way you did. The expenses are WAY OVER $1 million. Ever heard of insurance? Does the track build itself and disassemble itself? Are there yearly capital expenses? Does everyone work for free? Is there zero money spent on marketing? I could go on and on if I sat here and thought about it. You make it seem like they pay the Expo Center's rental fee and, POOF!, a race magically happens.

Like I've said before, I believe they probably could pay a bit more, but these highfalutin millennials are going about it all wrong. They haven't even spoken to the man who matters!

You know what? I believe that the county there are the ones who are coming out smelling like roses. Why don't these guys partner with the Hahns and maybe show up to a county commissioners meeting and try to shake some of that money out of THEIR pockets? It would be all over the local news there if CBell and Larson showed up to a meeting, and they all could end up looking like heroes. Governments will give out a million dollars all day everyday if they're getting back $15 million. But no one is even trying. Go get the Tourism and Visitors bureau to up the purse- it would be stupid if they resisted.

It seems to me that the people who should be sticking together are instead cutting off their noses despite their faces.
There's a point, The City brings in 15m or whatever it was revinue. How about put 500k back into the purse?

Off topic but me and Dad took a trip 20yrs ago down to CASS WV where the whole old lumber town and steam RR were owned by the state. I think it was 25 bucks for a five hour train ride to the top of the mnt. and back. we stopped at the Engine shop early morning and one guy pointed out that new boiler over there made by a Submarine boiler maker cost a million. The engine cost two thousand in 1907 LOL

Anyway, we contimplated how the state justified doing it. Well we ate six times, Stayed two nights in motels and filled the tank twice plus a few souvineers. and all them places paid paytroll tax plus the workers paying taxes. So they made $ on it even if it looked to be a money pit.

Charles Nungester
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #58 7/15/22 2:56 PM
Just a curious couple questions for folks that are closer to the event and the area. Is the Expo Center in use all year round? Are there people standing in line to rent the whole place for 2 or 4 weeks at a time in January? My guess is no, but I could be wrong. I would say it is a financial boost for a good number of entities.
revjimk (Offline)
  #59 7/15/22 2:56 PM
Originally Posted by chrismattlin:
Dude....

Sorry to play the English teacher role, but I can't take it...
Its "to" spite their faces
mc/rider (Offline)
  #60 7/15/22 3:00 PM
Race drivers are my heroes, definitely including Larson and Bell. Of all the races Ive attended over the years I cant recall attending a race because of a specific driver. Not to say I havent focused on certain drivers during the race. Open wheel,stocks,dirt,pavement. To me its been about the track or type of car (or motorcycle).I went to the Chili Bowl,Kokomo,Talledega,Indy etc for the show. Fortunately Ive seen some of the best drivers and best races ever. My point is a majority race fans go to the Chili Bowl for the show,not certain drivers

When in doubt Gas It
5 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Blitzman, chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97