IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Going on the Offense by Pat Sullivan
12/14/23, 2:31 PM   #1
Going on the Offense by Pat Sullivan
Vookie

https://dirtrackr.com/sliderissues/t..._dDX63AumdQBbQ

12/14/23, 5:20 PM   #2
Re: Going on the Offense by Pat Sullivan
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Very good Pat. Thank you. Another point to be made countless drivers from all over the nation and to a lesser degree other countrys have come to Indiana for decades specifically to drive racecars. The only other states that might make that claim are N. Car and Florida, Phhhtt tintops. Irue Hoosier products are race drivers and corn
Last edited by mc/rider; 12/15/23 at 6:48 AM.

3 members like this post: azsprintfan1, BrentTFunk, flagboy55
12/14/23, 6:26 PM   #3
Dale

Maybe Terre Haute should be last race of ISW.

4 members like this post: azsprintfan1, bighd0522, flagboy55, oppweld
12/15/23, 7:05 AM   #4
Hubie48

Things are just ebbed away as the automobile, and the niche of racing them, has become less and less important in the public eye.

USAC in the past had huge allies that sat on fair boards, business people in the community. This is exactly how we lost the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Tom Binford cast a huge shadow across the state, he had connections. Tony's death in '77 followed by the plane crash and then the split, along with the general malaise toward the automobile and we are where we are now.

I am very thankful that I live in Indiana and it is not lost on me had I not been born here I don't know if I would have been such a enthusiastic fan.
Last edited by Hubie48; 12/15/23 at 7:06 AM.

4 members like this post: azsprintfan1, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Rcar
12/15/23, 8:20 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Pat's about 85% right on all his writings and I appreciate that. Far higher percentage than me.

However. We've gone from days where basically every farm and gas (SERVICE) station had a race car they put together in the off season and weekends. The fact is, There's less cars. Also gone from a time as Don Smith said to me. (The indy guys raced THAT on Wed's and IMS on sunday) Same Stars, Same crowd. They made it easy for me to promote.

I still think a good show and word of mouth is the best advertisement you can have. I was told 20yrs before I ever made it to THAT that you have to see racing there. It's awesome! When I finally got there. I found it was AWESOME!

I believe the improvements with the Guardrails were huge in safety. Keep the dust down and it will grow I went about twelve times over six years and will go again when I can as much as possible. But that one super dusty race during sprint week about six or seven years ago made me realize how DA ran a ton of fans off.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/15/23 at 8:24 AM.

5 members like this post: azsprintfan1, DaveP63, flagboy55, oppweld, rimrider69
12/15/23, 10:13 AM   #6
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Pat's about 85% right on all his writings and I appreciate that. Far higher percentage than me.

However. We've gone from days where basically every farm and gas (SERVICE) station had a race car they put together in the off season and weekends. The fact is, There's less cars. Also gone from a time as Don Smith said to me. (The indy guys raced THAT on Wed's and IMS on sunday) Same Stars, Same crowd. They made it easy for me to promote.

I still think a good show and word of mouth is the best advertisement you can have. I was told 20yrs before I ever made it to THAT that you have to see racing there. It's awesome! When I finally got there. I found it was AWESOME!

I believe the improvements with the Guardrails were huge in safety. Keep the dust down and it will grow I went about twelve times over six years and will go again when I can as much as possible. But that one super dusty race during sprint week about six or seven years ago made me realize how DA ran a ton of fans off.
The Silver Crown race was worse than the sprint car race for dust.

2 members like this post: DaveP63, rimrider69
12/15/23, 10:21 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
The Silver Crown race was worse than the sprint car race for dust.

Haven't made one yet, I made mostly Hulmans and Smith classics. But a couple MSCS Spring Flings. Couple were drenched with storms after qualifying.

When Reece worked the track he stayed on top of the dust problem great!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/15/23 at 10:22 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld
12/15/23, 11:10 AM   #8
BrentTFunk

I was able to be the representative for Kokomo Speedway on the local convention and visitors board for 4 years. Most businesses were not aware of what went on at the track. Letting them know how many people traveled and stayed in town was a big surprised to them. We were able to get a Professor from IU Kokomo to have his class due an economic impact study as a class project. Once people become aware of the sport, most are excited about the possibilities it provides for their businesses. It takes work but community involvement is vital to a track.

12/15/23, 12:10 PM   #9
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Very good thoughts. It’s amazing how many people in suits know nothing about how a race track is good for their community. I have no other reason to visit any of these towns if it weren’t for the race track.

6 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Hubie48, mc/rider, oppweld, PIT CART
12/15/23, 12:16 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I was able to be the representative for Kokomo Speedway on the local convention and visitors board for 4 years. Most businesses were not aware of what went on at the track. Letting them know how many people traveled and stayed in town was a big surprised to them. We were able to get a Professor from IU Kokomo to have his class due an economic impact study as a class project. Once people become aware of the sport, most are excited about the possibilities it provides for their businesses. It takes work but community involvement is vital to a track.

80s90s- Lawrenceburg was being hit from every angle to close. Then Mel, Staab and others got local business to sit in on a couple town meetings and opened their eyes to where a lot of their weekend business was coming from. This was before the Casinio and any improvements.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Going on the Offense by Pat Sullivan