IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
PIT CART (Offline)
  #1 2/7/22 3:36 PM
Leaving north east Indiana Friday plan is Saturday, Monday, Tuesday Volusia and New Symerna Wednesday and back to Volusia Thursday. Then Ocala Friday and Saturday. Being my first time any suggestions on places to stay and eat? Any must see attractions? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
macngravy (Offline)
  #2 2/7/22 4:06 PM
Monday morning they have a good little car show at the church just south of daytona, always a great way to start the week off, some race cars there too. starts 9am i think. here is location: 3140 S Atlantic Ave, Daytona Beach Shores, FL 32118
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, PIT CART
macngravy (Offline)
  #3 2/7/22 4:35 PM
When your coming in to Ocala on Rt.40 their is a place called Mo-Jo's. good atmosphere, good music, good bar
PIT CART (Offline)
  #4 2/7/22 4:57 PM
Thank you also thinking about checking out the Daytona 500 museum 🏁🍺
ISF (Offline)
  #5 2/7/22 5:07 PM
Originally Posted by PIT CART:
Leaving north east Indiana Friday plan is Saturday, Monday, Tuesday Volusia and New Symerna Wednesday and back to Volusia Thursday. Then Ocala Friday and Saturday. Being my first time any suggestions on places to stay and eat? Any must see attractions? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
During the day be sure to go to Blue Springs State Park in Orange City, FL. As cold as it's been in Florida last month and into Feb. there should be a bunch of manatee's in the springs run. Orange City is between Deland and Deltona and the park is west of route 17. Get there early! All the times we've been there the crowd wasn't all that big but parking is limited.

Be sure and go to Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing off of I 75 just south of Ocala. It'll take you about 2 1/2 hours to see it all but it's worth every minute!!

If you enjoy fresh seafood there is a place called Harry's Seafood Bar & Grill in Ocala. Good food and service.

Another decent seafood restaurant is Castaways just west of the St. Johns river on Rt. 40 near Aster, FL. It's west of Volusia Speedway Park on Rt. 40 directly south of the Rt. 40 bridge over the St. Johns river. It's right on the river, good food and nice atmosphere.

If you have time and the inclination, go to the Ponce De Leon inlet light house. Ponce Inlet is south of Daytona on A1A. The lighthouse and the surrounding buildings have been completely restored and refurbished and it's a very cool experience. While you're in Ponce Inlet give Racing's North Turn (https://www.racingsnorthturn.com/) a try. The Lighthouse and The North Turn are only about 50 minutes from Volusia Speedway Park. The North Turn is a very cool racing themed restaurant and bar directly on the beach in the exact spot where the north turn of the old beach/road course was located when the stock cars and motorcycles raced on the beach. GREAT food and the beach and Atlantic Ocean make for a very cool place to have a meal and a beer or two.

In regards to places to stay that can be a crap shoot. February is peak snowbird time in Florida and things can be a bit tight, lodging-wise. However, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a place to stay. Most all of the major motel chains are in and around Ocala and most are decent places.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
7 Likes: EBookerFan, Grocery Guy, PIT CART, PJ Wright, TQ29m, Will Shunk, WinglessLovers
TQ29m (Online)
  #6 2/7/22 6:38 PM
That's the way I remember it, I was there in 1958, summer, last race was over, but I took in all the sites that were there that you mentioned. Thanks, Bob.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Andrew S. Quinn (Online)
  #7 2/7/22 6:54 PM
Originally Posted by macngravy:
Monday morning they have a good little car show at the church just south of daytona, always a great way to start the week off, some race cars there too. starts 9am i think. here is location: 3140 S Atlantic Ave, Daytona Beach Shores, FL 32118
Brent T Funk and I happened upon that car show when we went down together 9 years ago. Little did we know it would change our trip.

Have a look at https://livinglegendsofautoracing.com/ to see their calendar of events. We went to their museum in Daytona where we ran into "Dynamite" Dave Dion,whom I watched race when I was a kid/teenager etc. He told us about the museum's fundraiser,and we changed our plans for that night,and we went to the fundraiser. Had a great time there,and in later years Brent and his wife would stop in and chat with Dave and get photos with him when they were there. I see one of the things going on is "Coffee with Charactors" and Dave will be one of the charactors there.

Our adventures that year can be found here......https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=66641
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, PIT CART, PJ Wright
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #8 2/7/22 6:55 PM
College Road at I-75 in Ocala is the ticket. Done this a few times. Everything is w/i walking distance. Volusia is a 40 minute drive from there.

If you wind up in Deland, Tony's NY Pizza on, where else, New York Avenue is my tip.

Have fun.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #9 2/7/22 7:27 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
Brent T Funk and I happened upon that car show when we went down together 9 years ago. Little did we know it would change our trip.

Have a look at https://livinglegendsofautoracing.com/ to see their calendar of events. We went to their museum in Daytona where we ran into "Dynamite" Dave Dion,whom I watched race when I was a kid/teenager etc. He told us about the museum's fundraiser,and we changed our plans for that night,and we went to the fundraiser. Had a great time there,and in later years Brent and his wife would stop in and chat with Dave and get photos with him when they were there. I see one of the things going on is "Coffee with Charactors" and Dave will be one of the charactors there.

Our adventures that year can be found here......https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=66641
We had a great time. Asha and I went back a couple of years later. Dave Dion remembered talking to ASQ and I. He was a great guy who treated us great. Not too many people have asked me if I had met Bobby and Donnie Allison before. Then introduces us. When I went back, they both signed pictures from when they drove for Foyt and Penske at Indy.
Back to the topic. If you are at Daytona take time for a drive on the beach. Good seafood at The Oyster Bar on Seabreeze off of A1A.
3 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, PIT CART, WinglessLovers
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #10 2/7/22 7:35 PM
Some of the best seafood we’ve found is Golden Lion Cafe in Flagler Beach on A1A. As others have said, the Don Garlits Museum on the S edge of Ocala is absolutely worth the visit. The Daytona Speedway museum is very good also. Both are well worth your time. The Racings North Turn Cafe, which sets approximately at the N turn of the original Beach Course at 4511 S Atlantic Ave., Ponca Inlet, is a very interesting place to visit. Lots of interesting historical photos, artifacts and beautiful views.

The Holiday Inn Express in Delano offers discounts to those attending the races at Volusia, but it is likely full by now. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn at the same exit as the Garlits Museum in Ocala, and driven both ways…to Volusia and to Bubba Raceway. It is about an hour 15 minutes to Volusia from there and about 35 minutes to BRP.

Enjoy your trip!
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART