IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > #71 Hoffman Car
3/23/08, 11:45 PM   #1
#71 Hoffman Car
Al Consoli

Rob - This isn't such a great photo, but so far it is the only one I can find for you. I'll keep looking.
Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon at Williams Grove

3/24/08, 5:03 AM   #2
Re: #71 Hoffman Car
bluerocket20n

The front bumper look's like a snow blade.. That's wild..........

3/24/08, 6:18 AM   #3
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Oil Cooler!

3/24/08, 6:21 AM   #4
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Shaker Screen Or Mud Screen! How Little You Know!

3/24/08, 8:23 AM   #5
Racerrob

Thanks for the memories Al!!

I remember that car well (even though I was only 7 at the time). Those trips to PA got me used to making long car trips to go racing. Glad with Diesel at $4.00+ per gallon USAC is bring back those long trips. :headbang

Hope to see you on the PA swing.

Rob Hoffman

3/24/08, 8:28 AM   #6
cecil98

Can't remember the year but, my dad and I were up at Salem when Larry Cannon had a "PROBLEM" in the Hoffman car. Was it this car or, did the car he crashed have a #59 on it? I'm pretty sure it was the same color as the car in the above pic.

3/24/08, 9:13 AM   #7
RichH

Boom-Booms "BIG" crash came at Winchester, in the Hoffman car. I couldn't believe he survived that one, but he did and raced for a number of years thereafter. Rob and/or Richard could give details.
:hoffman:

3/24/08, 12:30 PM   #8
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Boom-Booms "BIG" crash came at Winchester, in the Hoffman car. I couldn't believe he survived that one, but he did and raced for a number of years thereafter. Rob and/or Richard could give details.
:hoffman:
Remember that well. Thought Boom Boom was going to get into the pedestrian bridge that crossed over the track at that time. I recall reading that the Hoffman team took the pieces back to the shop, had a memorial service and wake complete with large quantities of adult beverages, then went to work putting it back together and had it ready for the next race (I'm thinking Tri-County Speedway in WestChester). Could have any or all details wrong. Again, Rob or Dick could clarify.

3/24/08, 12:39 PM   #9
1955indy

good looking car

3/24/08, 1:06 PM   #10
RichH

BTW, Hoffmans have sequence photos of that crash that are remarkable. Some of those who attended the Fish Fry may have seen them. Fish is correct, he went end over end down the front stretch, barely cleared the walkway that then crossed over the track going into turn1 and ended up at the bottom of the trck between 1 & 2.
I sure hope Rob/Richard jump on for more detail, especially given the relatively happy ending!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > #71 Hoffman Car