IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oil problem Gearte Midget
8/3/22, 8:20 AM   #1
Oil problem Gearte Midget
Phl80

We have a problem with the dry sump tank losing most of the oil during the race. I have never had an issue with any of the Sprint Cars I've had, but admit this is the first Midget Engine I've worked on. The engine ends up with 5 1/2 quarts in the pan and only like 2 in the tank. It acts like it's not scavaging enough out of the Engine. The pump, lines, tank are all new. There is no filters or blockage in the lines. It has (2) -12 lines from the pan to the pump and 1 -16 line back to the tank. We spoke to several competitors with the same type Engine and they said it's normal, really? I believe there will be a point where the Engine will starve for oil and do damage. I have attempted to call Gearte but never get an answer or call back. A local Engine builder told me to run (2) -12 lines back to the tank instead of 1 -16. Idk, but, I don't think this is normal and the Engine was built for one -16 back to the tank so, I'm at a loss. Any input would be appreciated.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
8/3/22, 9:26 AM   #2
team flying pig

Call Rick at Haisley Machine 765-948-3164
He worked for Gaerte until the closed.

8/3/22, 11:11 AM   #3
Re: Oil problem Gearte Midget
HDbill

Check the pan. It is normal to have SOME oil in the pan. But NOT 5 quarts. This sounds like you are pulling air out of the engine instead of oil. So, it sounds like there is a fault in the pick ups like a possible crack or break between the bottom of the pickups and the port outside the pan for the hoses taking the oil to the pump. Another weird possibility is that the return lines could collapse while the engine is running and cause the problem. How is the system venting? The tank is getting oil and air out of the engine. If there is a problem with that venting; the oil can't come out of the engine because it is being blocked. Try taking the cap off of the tank while the engine is idling. Crack the throttle a couple of times with you hand covering the tank. if you feel a lot of air coming out or there is suction; you are on your way to fixing it. There shouldn't be any suction or pressure at the tank.

3 members like this post: badcoupe, chrismattlin, jdull99
8/3/22, 11:54 AM   #4
TQ29m

Or, could be a flap on an oil line, slowing the flow one way, or clearances out of spec, internal galleries leak, and gear pumps are not infallible either, how long does it take for this condition to happen, just throwing out stuff to see if any thing sticks, I've had this before, you just have to ck all possibilities.or, it could be plumbed wrong, and can't keep up, should be a wide and a narrow gear in the pump, wide for volume, narrow for pressure 😉.
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/3/22 at 1:38 PM.

8/3/22, 9:52 PM   #5
Phl80

Venting seems fine as it vents nice off the tank. Since the hoses are all new I don't think they are sucking shut. It should be plumbed correctly as it came from the dyno in the same configuration.

8/3/22, 9:54 PM   #6
Phl80

I will check the oil pan for possible suction issues from the pick ups, thanks.

8/4/22, 6:26 AM   #7
Re: Oil problem Gearte Midget
Last Lap

Did it do it on the Dyno???????????

8/4/22, 8:29 AM   #8
TQ29m

Good question. Any foam in the oil. Nothing easy is it. Almost sounds like the pump is too slow, does it drive off the crank, or a cam.
Again, did it do it on the dyno? Something to question.

8/4/22, 12:03 PM   #9
snowdrift

Keep us informed on what you find learning everyday

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
8/4/22, 12:05 PM   #10
snowdrift

Keep us informed leaning something everyday

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oil problem Gearte Midget