IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You KFD
9/30/22, 1:20 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

This post may get removed, not sure of every exact type of rule on here, but I truly feel it needs said. I have mentioned other times on here about thanking first responders, especially ones that we see working at our beloved race tracks, trying to keep everyone safe. Their not perfect, their human, but they give it all they have. Before you say what does this have to do with OpenWheel, please read the whole post or just back out now. As usual, I'm not doing this for attention on myself and could care less about how many "likes" I get.

Most know, some dont, right next door to the South of our famed baddest bullring in the state and arguably the nation, Kokomo Speedway, is one of the largest grain operations in the Midwest, Kokomo Grain. I've seen people on here ask about the huge building in turns 3 & 4, that's Kokomo Grain. For some that dont know, some of KGs property is actually used during major events such as Smackdown and some others. The track and KG has a nice working relationship.

Last night, 9/29/22, around 10pm a motorist who helps on a couple local farms, has a farming background, but yet is a big race fan, was in the area of KS and KG and noticed a strange glow on the West side of KGs property, up in the air several hundred feet. Unsure of possible new lighting system, steam/smoke in the air could have been from the dryer's running this time of year, the motorist drove closer. As the motorist got closer it appeared more out of place then part of KGs operations. The motorist then stopped and pulled over taking a closer look to realize there was an active fire at KG and immediately called 911. Kokomo Fire Department responded extremely quickly, emptying out 4/6 of its fire stations, along with EMA which are volunteers.

For people who have never been around them, grain fires are extremely dangerous and difficult to put out. It's not a typical structure fire. It's hard to get to hot spots in the middle of grain not to mention no way of being in the grain without being engulfed in the grain and suffocated, usually resulting in death. On top of this, the fire was hundreds of feet up in the air, not a typical structure fire height, along with other things, the fire was so far off of the street and so far away from the nearest hydrant, that tankers were being used which is unusual for city fires.

KFD had the fire under control and out in about 3 hours give or take a little. This could have went horribly horribly wrong for everyone involved, from first responders, to local residents, to local businesses, including but not limited to OUR Kokomo Speedway!! Had the motorist not noticed something looked wrong and KFD responding so quickly and doing such an outstanding job, and/or the fire being the big building, tonight's race could have very well gotten cancelled as winds have changed directions and KFD would likely still be working the fire.

One member on here that is on KFD knows who he is, JS, thank you for doing what you do and putting your life on the line to help and save others. If you dont know any KFD, that's okay, but do yourselves and your family a favor and thank your local or nearby first responders. You never know when your going to need them or when someone or something you love and care about will need first responders. They are human just like all of us, sometimes a thank you means everything to them.

Now let's GYATK tonight for some flying fast action spectacular fall racing at Kokomo Speedway!!!! See you there!!!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 9/30/22 at 1:31 PM.

9/30/22, 5:26 PM   #2
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Thank you for posting this information.

9/30/22, 7:01 PM   #3
Blackduce

Amen!

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner
9/30/22, 8:36 PM   #4
RACrappieman

Wow. Lucky catch by the passing motorist. Glad they got it under control. Yes grain fires can be really bad. Thanks to those who helped contain the fire.

10/1/22, 6:36 PM   #5
GlobalSpeedway Tours

I’ve often wondered why the speedway end of that building has never been used for advertising. Or at the very least, a massive Kokomo Speedway sign painted there would look impressive. If the relationship between the track and the owners of Kokomo Grain is that good, then why not make it happen?
Last edited by GlobalSpeedway Tours; 10/1/22 at 6:37 PM.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You KFD