IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville 20k to win 2019
6/10/18, 8:13 PM   #31
Re: Knoxville 20k to win 2019
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Why do you seek Midgets at Knoxville? Not going to happen, they've given up the big half miles, Terre Haute, Perris, Belleville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
100% agree. After the death of Chad McDaniel, it seems that Knoxville does not want the midgets. The other issue is that for the midget show to work, it would have to draw POWRi racers who have historically stayed away from the big tracks. Having less than a full field of midgets would not look good for this event.

Also, please stop with the Silver Crown requests. They would not draw enough extra fans to warrant their purse. They barely can support themselves with their current venues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
It's fun to dream but I think everyone should be content with just sprint cars. They would lose money by having midgets or Crown. The whole point is to pay the sprints well. My guess would be 305's Friday and 360's Saturday. However, I would prefer USAC sprints only and a much heavier track than what they typically do for the winged cars. Proper track prep for non-wing cars will make all the difference and allow them to shine!
Also, I think it would be wise for USAC and WAR to offer show up points to help ensure car count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Spot on with your comments. I’ve been reading where there are not enough high paying premier events for non wing sprints. Finally a new one comes out and now we have to have midgets and crown cars. Really?? How about they run the first edition of it as announced and support a premier non wing sprint event. Btw the 4 crown still exists and it’s much closer to you Indiana folk and don’t remember the stands being too full for quite a few years.
The open sanction with cooperation from usac and war is a good thing. A chance more teams show up. Thanks to Knoxville for taking a chance on our kind of racing and maybe it can grow. I’ll be driving the 16 hours to see this premier sprint car event. The other cars should do their own thing and have a nationals of their own.

FFS! Did any of you bother to read what I said? Here it is again. Let’s start with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
It looks like it could be a good event.
Positive feeling about the event that is actually going to take place next year.

Quote:
I’m not the promoter, a series director, or anyone that has money on the line with this event, but one thing I would like to see is a 3 race event with midgets Friday, sprints Saturday, and silver crown Sunday afternoon.
Nowhere in this do I say anything about wanting this race to be changed before it even starts. I even said “one thing I would like to see,” not “There’s no way that will work, it should be...” or “It would be so much better if it was...” All I said was what I would like to see. Never criticized the show that will be. Never said anything about the practicality of what I wanted to see, or the realistic chances of it coming into existence. I said what I would like to see. I was under the impression that part of the fun and part of the passion of being a racing fan is loving what you see, and that often inspires you to want to see more. I was merely sharing what that “more” I would like to see, is. Not in any way intending to be critical of what has been planned already. One thing this board is guilty of is being in such a hurry to respond (and in most cases, refute or criticize) that people don’t even take the time to read what someone actually says.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 6/10/18 at 8:48 PM.

4 members like this post: dirt330, PIT CART, progressive22, Speedwrench
6/10/18, 9:21 PM   #32
duel

Retire 6-30-19...Going!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, i love dirt track racing, smith19
6/10/18, 9:33 PM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
FFS! Did any of you bother to read what I said? Here it is again. Let’s start with this:

Positive feeling about the event that is actually going to take place next year.

Nowhere in this do I say anything about wanting this race to be changed before it even starts. I even said “one thing I would like to see,” not “There’s no way that will work, it should be...” or “It would be so much better if it was...” All I said was what I would like to see. Never criticized the show that will be. Never said anything about the practicality of what I wanted to see, or the realistic chances of it coming into existence. I said what I would like to see. I was under the impression that part of the fun and part of the passion of being a racing fan is loving what you see, and that often inspires you to want to see more. I was merely sharing what that “more” I would like to see, is. Not in any way intending to be critical of what has been planned already. One thing this board is guilty of is being in such a hurry to respond (and in most cases, refute or criticize) that people don’t even take the time to read what someone actually says.

Your not the only one who mentioned midgets, One thing this board is guilty of is taking things personally. I may have quoted your post to respond too But your not the only one I was responding too even if it seemed that way.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/10/18 at 9:35 PM.

6/10/18, 10:10 PM   #34
revjimk

Quote:

I think we'd all like to see that too, but lets not get the cart before the horse. Make this event a success & see what happens....

6/10/18, 10:16 PM   #35
revjimk

Terrific news!
My only SLIGHT issue would be the date....how bout a week before or after winged Nationals so it could be a 2 for 1? (OK, I know some IOW guys hate wings...I don't)
Knoxville seems to have enough clout with big purse & international reputation to run their own, unsanctioned show & get cooperation from sanctioning organizations... good for them!

1 member likes this post: oppweld
6/11/18, 9:20 PM   #36
captrat

Leave the current proposed event as is. As someone posted earlier we have been hoping for more premier non-wing events. Don't much it up with all sorts of ancillary issues. We could now have this event, Smackdown, Oval Nationals, Sprint Week, and hopefully a truly big show at L'burg. Non-wing need this. I just came back from Knoxville, good receptive crowd. Build on that.

6/12/18, 8:48 AM   #37
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

We are excited to go to Knoxville for our first time! Anyone that's been there before have an opinion of the Red Carpet Inn up the road from the track? Guess I should have asked before booking lol. I know you get what you pay for, but as long at it is clean we'll make a go of it.

6/12/18, 11:36 AM   #38
Dirteater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly View Post
We are excited to go to Knoxville for our first time! Anyone that's been there before have an opinion of the Red Carpet Inn up the road from the track? Guess I should have asked before booking lol. I know you get what you pay for, but as long at it is clean we'll make a go of it.
What was the rate my I ask? I had reservations back in 2012 or so for 410 nationals & rate was $135 a night (6 night Min) for 1 queen bed. I knew KKR, Kinsers,Roth, and some other teams were staying there that year from the e-mail that was sent. I knew it wasn’t fancy from being at nationals before, but never stayed there. But with short walking distance from track & Dingus thought it was worth the extra cost. . Lol. I had to cancel unfortunately. Hopefully that helps.

6/12/18, 11:43 AM   #39
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirteater View Post
What was the rate my I ask? I had reservations back in 2012 or so for 410 nationals & rate was $135 a night (6 night Min) for 1 queen bed. I knew KKR, Kinsers,Roth, and some other teams were staying there that year from the e-mail that was sent. I knew it wasn’t fancy from being at nationals before, but never stayed there. But with short walking distance from track & Dingus thought it was worth the extra cost. . Lol. I had to cancel unfortunately. Hopefully that helps.
It is $211.58 for one queen bed for three nights. My guess is the owners didn't hear the event announcement yet, therefore haven't gouged their prices yet.

2 members like this post: Dirteater, PIT CART
6/12/18, 1:56 PM   #40
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly View Post
It is $211.58 for one queen bed for three nights. My guess is the owners didn't hear the event announcement yet, therefore haven't gouged their prices yet.
Sounds like you got an OK deal. They jack up prices big time for Winged Nationals. For that, I stay at cheapo Motel 6 in Des Moines (Near airport), easy 35 minute drive
Plus you can stop in open farm areas for a great view of Perseid meteor showers in early August. No light pollution

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville 20k to win 2019