IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must Watch
2/21/24, 1:48 PM   #11
Re: Must Watch
BrentTFunk

I watched it. What is his background? Does he go to races and meet with people, or does he base everything off of social media? Have seen his deal a few times, and never felt he had anything to say that couldn't have been found somewhere before.

4 members like this post: captrat, JJMooney, motorhead748, oppweld
2/21/24, 2:53 PM   #12
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I watched it. What is his background? Does he go to races and meet with people, or does he base everything off of social media? Have seen his deal a few times, and never felt he had anything to say that couldn't have been found somewhere before.
He worked at WRG in some capacity which may have been in part the Open Red podcast’s. I believe I’ve heard him say that he was a crew member on one of the nascar teams as well.
I’d agree that the majority of what he says can be found on social media. But he does a nice job of presenting it and since it’s a short broadcast it doesn’t exceed my attention span. What I’d like to know is how much these “content creators “ make. He mentioned a year or so ago when his subscribers < 15-18K that his income from it was in the low 5 figures, not a fortune but not a bad gig either and is the reason these creators are always trying to get more likes & subscribers.
Another guy I enjoy watching & has nothing to do with racing is “Pan the Organizer”. He covers all aspects of car detailing and from all appearances has done quite well for himself with over a million subscribers

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Grocery Guy
2/21/24, 3:31 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sometimes I long for the days of just showing up to a track, being surprised by who is or isn't there and seeing what 99% of the world didn't witness that day. Just knowing a driver from what I've seen of them racing, Not knowing his whole background. Could have been from Parts unknown for all I cared. Not knowing who the crew was or car owner. etc. etc. I learned some of it by going to a lot of races, walking the pits. chatting with a driver here and there.

Before Internet.

Then again, I don't miss driving two or three hours only to see haulers passing me going the other way from a cancelled for whatever reason show.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/21/24 at 3:34 PM.

2/21/24, 3:38 PM   #14
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Sometimes I long for the days of just showing up to a track, being surprised by who is or isn't there and seeing what 99% of the world didn't witness that day. Just knowing a driver from what I've seen of them racing, Not knowing his whole background. Could have been from Parts unknown for all I cared. Not knowing who the crew was or car owner. etc. etc. I learned some of it by going to a lot of races, walking the pits. chatting with a driver here and there.

Before Internet.

Then again, I don't miss driving two or three hours only to see haulers passing me going the other way from a cancelled for whatever reason show.
I always loved going to the first show at Eldora and seeing who was in what car. I think too much information is part of the reason that people complain about the sport so much.

2/21/24, 3:57 PM   #15
mlamb

Quote:
I always loved going to the first show at Eldora and seeing who was in what car. I think too much information is part of the reason that people complain about the sport so much.
Absolutely BTF! That first USAC sprint car opener at Eldora in late March early April years ago, those races were awesome.
I used to jump in the truck and just drive to Devils Bowl or Williams Grove without even thinking about the weather. I always enjoyed Williams Grove openers to see who would show up.
Now I analyze weather for a week to go to Bloomington UGH!
BTW the feeling of receiving my NSSN in the mailbox after work on Thursday’s is still sorely missed.

2/21/24, 8:20 PM   #16
oldfan49

Living in the land of wings (which thankfully is changing some). late models, and multiple classes of modifieds I am amazed that the majority of fans leaving couldn't tell you who won for various reasons. It sure seems those crowds go more for the party where non wing fans go for the racing.

It does make you smile when a track brings in non wing cars how amazed they are that there is racing where there are battles for position and not just running single file in the rubber. Maybe it's is working because WAR and MWRA are getting more races at more tracks each year and they seem to bring good crowds.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, flagboy55, oppweld, stp6237
2/21/24, 9:23 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:

Exactly, Id show up about 2pm, maybe earlier, Buy a Mid American and read who did what where as I watched each hauler come down the hill till they kicked us out for a half hour to check tickets.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, mlamb, motorhead748
2/21/24, 11:35 PM   #18
flagboy55

Every once in a while I’ll get to talking with someone at the race track that I haven’t met before and I’ll ask them if they go on IOW. More than once I’ve got the response that they have but think it’s too much like curmudgeonry for race fans. Sometimes I think they might be right. So I guess I have to explain why I posted this. First as 748 said Justin was indeed a Nascar tire changer. His Dad was also involved in Nascar. He’s been around racing a long time like many of us. And correctly as Motörhead points out he did work for WRG in content and was part of the Open Red podcast with Ross Weece for a pretty good period of time, not that he needs to be qualified, but if so there’s some of his credentials. He’s had a bunch of great interviews with Ross, and on his platform Dirtrackr. I don’t consider him to be the absolute authority, but he seems to be pretty well connected and I think he delivers great info in a tidy package. This particular episode seemed to hit pretty close to home I thought, when it sends a bit of a barometer of the popularity of my, and many of you, chosen style of racing. How many times over the last several years have we lamented the loss of our guy’s to wings? Also how many times are streaming users accused of ruining the sport? This episode addresses both. Before I go on, I don’t care which is more popular other than to answer the question why drivers leave and why we don’t run for the same purses as the wangers as Oppweld would say. It’s as simple as follow the money. Popularity drives investment, period. Also streaming is here to stay. Actually Brent was out in front of this a little bit in the conversations we’ve had about subscriptions and what not. I’m fortunate enough to be friends with a central Indiana track promoter and we’ve had discussions on the subject. I don’t want to put words in anyones mouth but we have agreed that maybe revenue distribution is more the problem than the stream itself. Which if you’re paying attention to the WOO VS HL contest you will see that’s a contributing factor in that battle. In case you haven’t noticed I really enjoy talking about the sport I love. I think that’s the purpose of a message board on the subject. If what I post upsets you please feel free to scroll on by, no offense taken.

2/21/24, 11:41 PM   #19
DJlives

Justin does a good job. Two rejoinders. First its basic numbers. There are more wing races and wing tracks than traditional sprint cars so by definition they have more fans. Two, this is a self fulfilling prophesy. He could be a place to elevate the profile of other forms of racing. But he gets caught because it is all about clicks. There is no denying however that wing racing is more popular. As Chet said popularity doesn't mean better. I would like Justin to pitch in.

Finally Chet as hillbilly is laughable. He's very intelligent, well read on a range of subjects, has a Masters degree and taught school for years where I have no doubt he was stellar.

2/22/24, 12:26 AM   #20
The55

Quote:
The reason that non wing is less popular is because wings and late models make better billlboards. Nascar is more popular than Indycar for the same reason. Formula one is by far the richest and most popular of all. It didn't do that much for me, even when I saw it in person. So since they are the most popular, does that make them the best racing?
Not sure that makes much sense. F1 has no billboard at all and is the richest and most popular racing in the world. I think this has to do with other factors like the series promotion. WoO promotes their series, USAC doesn’t promote right, it is just the sanctioning body and it is up to the tracks to promote. In any event, sprint car racing, especially non-wing, is and always will be a niche sport. As long as it survives I am OK with that.
Last edited by The55; 2/22/24 at 12:27 AM.

1 member likes this post: nodramazone20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must Watch