IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RynoK1999 (Offline)
  #1 11/7/16 11:26 AM
Anybody have any information on this track? Was apparently run in the 50's and had Sunday Afternoon racing. Read it was on Millhousen Rd.

Thanks for any clues. Hope to find this place soon...
martz32 (Offline)
  #2 11/7/16 9:22 PM
This racetrack was my introduction into racing. We lived on a farm near Clarksburg,In. My dad used to weld all the broken parts on the racers cars that lived in Clarksburg. They would bring their cars to the shop and I would sit in them for hours running 50 lappers. We would go to the track every Sunday and I would yell for Ellis Herbert one of the Clarksburg gang. I often think of those days at that racetrack. The thing I miss most in life is my dad. I think the second thing would be our times together at that old country racetrack. Larry Martz
18 Likes: addictedtodirt, BrentTFunk, drbracket, Eatin Dirt, fish, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, MEAT, Nate, racefan20, Racer_dude35, RynoK1999, scottyCbus, sprint18, tirespinner, trannyman, WinglessLovers
billw (Offline)
  #3 11/8/16 12:14 AM
Track is visible on historicaerials.com in the 1956 photo doesn't appear to be anything left in the newer photos
Nate (Offline)
  #4 11/8/16 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by martz32:
This racetrack was my introduction into racing. We lived on a farm near Clarksburg,In. My dad used to weld all the broken parts on the racers cars that lived in Clarksburg. They would bring their cars to the shop and I would sit in them for hours running 50 lappers. We would go to the track every Sunday and I would yell for Ellis Herbert one of the Clarksburg gang. I often think of those days at that racetrack. The thing I miss most in life is my dad. I think the second thing would be our times together at that old country racetrack. Larry Martz
Larry, how long was this track running? I read somewhere a few drivers got killed there and got the impression it wasn't active for too long.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
TQ29m (Offline)
  #5 11/8/16 10:36 AM
I googled the track yesterday, and the first thing that popped up was an obituary for a young driver who had raced there and not been so lucky. Surprised I hadn't heard of it, I grew up not all that far away, but we didn't travel then as we do now. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
RynoK1999 (Offline)
  #6 11/8/16 3:38 PM
I was able to find where the track is today and took a drive out that way. With some help from friends, I know who owns the property and such, but it's now a farm and without walking out there I don't think there is anything left of the track. It's obviously been used for a long time as farming ground, so likely nothing . Perhaps when I have more time one day I'll try to (legally) explore and see if anything stands out.
martz32 (Offline)
  #7 11/8/16 10:17 PM
Nate, I'm not really sure, but I would guess about 1957. I will try to find out as I am very interested,too. I never dreamed anyone else would be interested in this racetrack.
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #8 11/8/16 10:49 PM
I found this old newspaper article and was wondering if Dick Esters was the father of Dick Esters who raced TQ's in the mid 1980's? I don't think that Dick Esters would have been old enough to race stock cars in 1955.

LOCAL DRIVER WINS STOCK CAR FEATURE
Greensburg Daily News, August 10, 1955

Joe Tumilty, of Greensburg, was the winner of the feature stock car race at the Cedar Lake Speedway Saturday night. He also won one heat race and the trophy dash.

Other heat winners were Odell Eastridge, of Franklin, and Bobby Black, of Columbus.

In one race Dick Esters, of Shelbyville, turned over four times on the northwest turn, but he escaped uninjured.
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, oppweld
Unlucky#9 (Offline)
  #9 11/11/16 10:13 AM
I'd like to know where this track was as well, which part of Millhousen road? There's the section that runs from Millhousen to Napoleon, and then there's the section that runs from Millhousen to Greensburg. I grew up about 3 miles north east of Millhousen and my parents still live there.

Casey Meyer
RynoK1999 (Offline)
  #10 11/11/16 10:44 AM
Unlucky, sent you a PM.

For anyone else interested:

Coordinates: 39.310195, -85.470153
Visit Historicaerials.com and enter those coordinates, click on 1956 and you can see the track!