IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RynoK1999 (Offline)
  #1 8/18/16 9:10 AM
Hi all,

Writing a piece about the Smackdown and Kokomo Speedway and am curious to the general take on Kokomo and what makes it what it is. I've visited there a few times myself, but am curious what makes it special to you guys, the race fans, drivers and people inside this great sport.

If you have any cool stories or questions/comments, feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!
4 Likes: gtownplowboy, i love dirt track racing, nathans1012, racegal
jjones752 (Offline)
  #2 8/18/16 10:24 AM
There's something about the track's configuration, surface and prep that combine to make for some of the most exciting Sprint Car racing in the country, and it feels like it's all happening right in your lap.
That, and the Grilled Pork Chop sandwiches...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
6 Likes: gtownplowboy, JarrettFarms73, Nate, nathans1012, racegal, WinglessLovers
racegal (Offline)
  #3 8/18/16 10:33 AM
I was born and raised there! And the O'Conner's make it awesome!!!

DD FAN-atic!! Susan St. Catherine
God bless America and our troops
3 Likes: gtownplowboy, JarrettFarms73, nathans1012
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #4 8/18/16 10:48 AM
It's the shape of the track, in relation to it's banking. And also, it has caretakers that know what the reputation of their track is and go to great lengths to groom their racing surface to continue to produce great racing events.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
6 Likes: gtownplowboy, Jbaldwin, jim goerge, jjones752, nathans1012, WinglessLovers
#1Brad Kuhn Fan (Offline)
  #5 8/18/16 10:56 AM
To me, it's the way the races can be raced. I can't tell you how many times I watched BC run the wall all the way around and the next Lap run the infield tires while never losing momentum and always passing. Kokomo in my opinion is the holy grail of dirt track racing. A grass root family, running,preping, a grass root race track for the best grass root fans in the nation. It's simple #gyatk
14 Likes: addictedtodirt, Backitin, gtownplowboy, Jbaldwin, jerrydt, jjones752, mike mcghee, nathans1012, oppweld, PAW, PIT CART, racefanindy, rapid robert, WinglessLovers
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #6 8/18/16 11:20 AM
I Agee w/ Jim and Susan.

Tradition: I'm 43 and like to say I've been going for 44 years. Mom and dad were already regulars w/ my older siblings before I was born. In fact my grandfather attended and worked on cars at Kokomo well before I was born. The longevity of it's history tied to being the Sunday night playground for some of the greatest drivers ever.

The track: When I heard it was being reconfigured I was against it... Until I watched a race on it. Fast, wide, multi lanes with walls! Rim ridin', 4 wheels in the fluff,diamond off 3, working the bottom, and sliders. And that's just one night, virtually every night. I wish I had the dates for you but 3 major pulse quickening racing moments stand out.
1. Chad Boespflug lap1 in a heat race, P3 (Smackdown 1?) gets a bite in turn 2 and wheelies through the gap into the lead down the backstretch. May have been ISW same year. 2. Kyle Larson/ Michael Pickens in a midget battle for 15 laps or so. Slider in 1, slider in 3, lap after lap. 3. 2013 Bob Darland Memorial. Wes Mac battling and ultimately beating my guy, DD, on the TOP!? It felt like Douglas v Tyson. Couldn't believe I witnessed it but couldn't be mad either. Was genuinely happy for the young gun. Nice kid too.
5 Likes: EBookerFan, gtownplowboy, Jbaldwin, nathans1012, racegal
mc/rider (Offline)
  #7 8/18/16 11:45 AM
That 410 screaming out of 4,front wheels up and rear tires eatin dirt faster than I eat one of those porkchop sandwichs.You get your moneys worth the first two heats and the rest is free

When in doubt Gas It
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #8 8/18/16 11:49 AM
You'll all probably be butthurt by what I have to say and I'll also say I haven't been there but about a dozen times.

But what makes it special? NOTHING! but there is a difference. Hold that thought.

The facilities are nothing special, Granted it has a bar now. But concessions are par, Restrooms below par, Fencing below par. Seating Below par at least for bigger races and the track. Well I've seen multi lead passes, Wins from the tail and rim riding daredevil runs on about every track in the state and photo finishes to boot. I've seen complete stomp the field blow out's on Kokomo as many times as I've seen close racing or multi lead changes.

HOWEVER the difference IMHO is Reece O'Conner 80% and track shape 20% If it wasn't prepped the way it is. The racing wouldn't be the way it is. And that's CONSISTENT and he'll rip the track just enough to keep it that way for the feature without tearing the whole thing up and making it to where nothing comes in till halfway.

When he's got it right, THERE IS NO CLEAR GROOVE, Oh they'll be guys running the wall and guys running the bottom, But there's guys that will go in on the wall and come off the bottom or just the opposite. Go in low and grab the cushion off of two. And about every time Im there I see stuff that drivers make work but in the back of my minds thinking shouldn't be possible, So even if someone has the field covered, You still see good racing and four or five wide on a track you don't think it's possible.

So, Really, I'd just say it's constancy a good track surface and drivers who get it, just let it eat and make what they can make work vs setting up for a certain line.

Sunday Night also makes it special and they work to get it done at a decent hour.

So there is some differences and like I said, I've seen great racing at every track. But Sunday Nights. #GYATK

Charles Nungester
5 Likes: Blitzman, JarrettFarms73, jim goerge, kcarm92, rclaridge
davidm (Offline)
  #9 8/18/16 12:23 PM
There are a few tracks you get close to and you can just feel it in the air. It's excitement and anticipation and history. You just know there's a really good chance your going to see some amazing race.
4 Likes: Backitin, gtownplowboy, jim goerge, WinglessLovers
jjones752 (Offline)
  #10 8/18/16 1:01 PM
No reason for anybody to get "butthurt" Charles; you nailed it. The facilities and concessions may be nothing to write home about (except the Pork Chops) but that doesn't seem to matter when you can witness sprinters 3 and 4 wide all the way around the track swapping sliders and crossovers at both ends and simultaneous wheelstanding drag races on the front and back straights. In hotlaps. Then come the Heats, the B and the Feature, when things really get serious.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
3 Likes: Backitin, jim goerge, PAW