IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint
9/18/11, 3:11 AM   #1
any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint
Mulvaney

i ran 2nd there last night most the night but just couldn't quite get to first any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. i ran my car handled really good just a little tight in the middle of the turn, i ran 3 gear at 12,700 rpm. will to much stagger cause me to have to fight my car down the straights it want to go left all the time thanks guys

9/18/11, 7:39 AM   #2
Re: any tips for thunder valley for a mini sp
backitin

First off I'd have to say running in the top five anywhere is pretty darn good, congrats. Too much stagger can make the car strange on the straights. Just how much are you fighting the car in the straights ? If its literally a battle then something aint right, if it's just a feeling that the car wants to move to the left some I'd have to say maybe the car is ok. Some nights no matter how good your car and driver combo is, somebody is clicking and runs better. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions here. Personally I'd check to make sure the rear is squared and if it is I'd try less stagger. Also check the wheelbase on both sides, I believe we run our left side 1/2 inch less wheelbase. Forgot to mention about scaling your car you might have to jack some weight around.
Last edited by backitin; 9/18/11 at 9:53 AM.

9/18/11, 6:32 PM   #3
dirtracer74

Would like to know what bars/ springs you are running. The car should not be pulling left while under throttle.
Last edited by dirtracer74; 9/18/11 at 6:38 PM.

9/18/11, 9:56 PM   #4
Mulvaney

i am running rr 875 lr 900 rf 875 lf 850 4 psi lr 6 rr 10 lf 12 rf it is really bad under cautions not to bad racing the car i gues momentem pushes it to the outside this was only my second race so i'm still learning but i know since i re blocked the car to a manual i have it handles ten times better biggest prob was the tightness in the middle of the turns i just had to feather the throttle to much to get it to turn left to keep up my speed in the turn

9/18/11, 10:05 PM   #5
dirtracer74

OK, wing or non wing. I am guessing these are "upright" mini sprints with a 1000cc motors? Sorry for more questions, and no answers. Just do not want to lie to you is all.

9/18/11, 10:12 PM   #6
Mulvaney

yes winged upright

9/18/11, 10:43 PM   #7
thebus79h

If the car is tight in the center, add stagger.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/18/11, 10:51 PM   #8
Mulvaney

i have a crap load more than anyone else there checking the tires out on the cars in front of me in the shute

9/18/11, 10:55 PM   #9
thebus79h

From what I've learned in my years, if the car is tight in the center, it needs more stagger for the setup on the car.

Different strokes for different folks. I used to roll out in our car with 9-10 inches of stagger, while everybody else has 5-7. If it works for you, that's what's important.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/18/11, 10:59 PM   #10
Mulvaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
From what I've learned in my years, if the car is tight in the center, it needs more stagger for the setup on the car.

Different strokes for different folks. I used to roll out in our car with 9-10 inches of stagger, while everybody else has 5-7. If it works for you, that's what's important.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint