IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starts and Restarts
8/4/13, 6:10 PM   #1
Starts and Restarts
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Before I begin, I want to state that I am not specifically criticizing USAC. While I am moved to write by the terrible starts and restarts at Belleville this weekend, I believe this has been a problem since someone (who?) decided that the leader should start the race.

For the first 20 or 25 years of my involvement with racing, the starter started the race. That's why he's called the starter. Further, he did it near a point called the starting line. It seemed obvious to all interested parties.

If the field was not aligned properly, the starter did not wave the green flag. If it was simply a case of a driver passing too soon, he was penalized two finishing positions for each position advanced at the start.

The low point of starting practices occurred a few years ago when the WoO had restarts on the backstretch. At least they gave that up (I think; I haven't seen any WoO race except on TV for years).

I also don't like the double-file restarts or not keeping lapped cars in place. Following cars already get a huge advantage on a restart by making up any distance from the car in front; that's enough.

Going back to the old tried and true way would do away with the cone-on-a-rope, too.

8/4/13, 7:23 PM   #2
Re: Starts and Restarts
JstAbvVMC

I will say one word, safety. Racing both a wing sprint car and a midget, I can not recall ever seeing a green flag being waved. Unless I was starting on the front row and even then I wasn't focused on the flag man, just the light. Holding the green back for a bad start will cause problems. All drivers expect a green and focus on racing safely into the first corner instead of looking for the flag. A yellow light on the back stretch is good enough for me. Just my two cents.....

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: bpa94, fish
8/4/13, 7:38 PM   #3
double checkered

As much as I love being an "official starter" aka "flagman", I'm really surprised that the position is still in auto racing. So easy a monkey can do it. Race control in the tower could easily turn on lights and inform the drivers of on track dangers with raceivers. Oh, wait..... Some tracks already do that. I know that even though my first priority is driver safety, I am just part of the entertainment for the fans. Sometimes I think people pay admission to whoot and hollar at the monkey in the stand. Back to the original topic. I also remember when the starter actually started the race. They controlled the track. Often times they were on the racing surface directing traffic getting cars lined up or leaning in a driver's window giving home a few strong words of "advice". I know times have changed and different tracks/sanctions have different rules on starts. The biggest thing is to try to be as consistent as possible. I hate when drivers push the limit of the starting line. But rules are rules....you jump, you get put back.

Jeremy

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: fish, Kansasdirtfan
8/4/13, 7:46 PM   #4
Kansasdirtfan

I couldn't agree more regarding the quality of the starts at Belleville Thursday and Saturday. Once the initial start was waved off for cars being out of position, the second attempt was a guaranteed green, regardless of the position of anyone in the pack. Saw it happen more than once on both nights...with the midgets. The drivers competing with the United Rebel Sprint Series Saturday night had apparently been schooled by their sanctioning body on how to do 2-abreast starts. Every start was slow and in perfect alignment. So why was it so difficult in the midget events? I'm pretty sure all the drivers know how it's supposed to work, but the Nationals flagman (or whoever was talking in his ear) apparently didn't want to go past just one restart.
Last edited by Kansasdirtfan; 8/4/13 at 7:48 PM.

8/4/13, 9:06 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Unfortunately Dick, the position of starter went out of racing a number of years ago. Now you have some other person; (race director, infield official, cone keeper, etc.....) who is making the call whether the start is fair and legal. If not, they communicate back to the "flagman" that it needs to be brought back.

If one of the front row starters jumps the initial start and they do yellow flag it, almost always the second time around the other front row starter gets the jump and they allow it to continue. As a fan I don't want to be there all night but let's be realistic. Bring it back and put them both back 2 rows and let's see what happens. End the little game between the drivers and make it fair to all. I still personally like the chalk line that some series and tracks put down to show the drivers where the start line really is.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 8/4/13 at 9:07 PM.

5 members like this post: DaveP63, fish, mowerman, SprintManDave, Williams28
8/6/13, 12:09 AM   #6
jim goerge

In the MSCS the start and call is that of our flagman If its in his eyes a bad start he yellows on the backstretch

2 members like this post: koolaid89, Mud Packer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starts and Restarts