IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #41 1/23/08 10:33 PM
Thank you Jerry for your info on the local scene. I sent an email to the mayor today at Mayor@terrehaute.in.gov
I said pretty much what we all are saying. I don't know if it will do any good, but I don't know how it could do harm.
hoosier sprinter (Offline)
  #42 1/23/08 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw:
All I know is that the developers (Thompson-Thrift and Greg Gibson) made quite an effort, yesterday, carrying out this media blitz. And that's just exactly what it was. IMO, if they thought the Fair Board was even close to being sold on this proposal, they wouldn't have done this. And from what I can tell, there will be more backlash from this deal, than a ground swell of support. The 4H (the Fairgrounds' main inhabitant) is already not happy bunch of campers. In fact, we just went through a mayoral ******** that saw a Democratic incumbent lose his job to a Republican challenger, becoming the first Republican elected mayor in Terre Haute, since 1968. And one of the major campaign points was that even though Mayor Burke had gotten a lot done, many of the projects ended up fattening the bank account of Gibson. With that said, considering the public backlash on the previous Mayor, I don't think Duke Bennett, the current Mayor, is in any hurry, to be accused of also being Greg Gibson's lap dog. And Bennett doesn't have to sign off on this, just that supporting it and/or helping push it through could have a high political price.

Not to bore everybody with local ********, just thought I would add a little background for perspective purposes. I don't know how this is going to end up, but the WVFA is a 501c3 Not-For-Profit, so personal profit for board members is not going to be a determining factor here. People go to prison for that kind of thing. The last time they voted on this (last year), it was a unanimous NO. And that was an offer that was almost as big as this one. Plus, anybody that's ever tried to get money out of a farmer knows that Thompson-Thrift and Gibson are unlikely to get this farmer-led Fair Board to sign what is a sweetheart deal, as far as the developers are concerned.

Just My Opinion,

Jerry

Hit the nail on the head my fellow Hautean. I'm surprised they didn't try to get this presented and signed before the ********. They probably weren't counting on the Republican winning the race. Sorry, but any partnership between these groups cannot be a good thing for race fans. The Action Track is last thing on their agenda. Hope the Fair Board respects the tradition and gives Mike King and his group a chance to succeed.
tonyj (Offline)
  #43 1/23/08 10:43 PM
Signed.....171 so far!!
Pushtruck (Offline)
  #44 1/23/08 11:18 PM
Signed...and forwarded to friends.

Count me in on showing up at the fair board meeting. Just post the time and place.:thumb:
Blackduce (Offline)
  #45 1/24/08 5:25 AM
Signed. If they don't want it, move it to Kokomo. We'll take all of them.

Lynn
nitroracer
  #46 1/24/08 6:48 AM
I've signed the petition, all the way from AUSTRALIA. I hope my vote counts, as I have been to the T.H.A.T about 10-15 times over the years, and I just love the place.( I haven't been there since the late 90's though).
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #47 1/24/08 6:54 AM
Originally Posted by SHORTBUS:
I WILL BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS.
DAN YOU ARE WELCOME IN THE GARAGE THAT HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED UP SINCE LAST RACING SEASON. :shout

I knew I was welcome

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #48 1/24/08 9:09 AM
MY FREIND AT THE LOCAL RADIO STATION POSTED THE LINK ON WWW.HI99.COM THE #1 COUNTRY STATION IN THE WABASH VALLEY AND WAS PASSING IT ON TO ALL OTHERS
sprinter7 (Offline)
  #49 1/24/08 10:41 AM
Signed. :checkered:
dirtfan24 (Offline)
  #50 1/24/08 10:59 AM
signed