IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
11/28/22, 2:14 AM   #1
Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
jdull99

Could it happen on the day/night before a qualifying night?

What say the IoW forum users on this one?

I know he would have to forgo the LM event he is currently entered in that weekend...

(PS, I am a BIG Larson fan and I support whatever he decides in any manner...If I had my choice I'd prefer he starts running some rear engine stuff to get ready for an Indy 500 run, but I do not see that happening; so TNGP, Knoxville, & Tulsa are about as good as it gets otherwise...)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
11/28/22, 7:31 AM   #2
Re: Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Could it happen on the day/night before a qualifying night?

What say the IoW forum users on this one?
I say... anything can happen. However, I think the ship has sailed on this one. As he is already committed to the other race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
(If I had my choice I'd prefer he starts running some rear engine stuff to get ready for an Indy 500 run, but I do not see that happening; so TNGP, Knoxville, & Tulsa are about as good as it gets otherwise...)
Unless I am forgetting something (Which definitely could be the case.), I do not think there are any rear engine racing series out there. If so, what am I missing?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
11/28/22, 9:45 AM   #3
Duane Hancock

He is already entered in a big late model race that week and that was his plan the entire time even before his Chili Bowl rant

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
11/28/22, 10:54 AM   #4
Jonr

Since he was on the race poster, I would imagine that Vado is giving him some appearance money. I don't think there is any chance that he is at the Chili Bowl. Kyle never said that he was giving up midget racing. He just said he was giving up the Chili Bowl for a while.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, tirespinner
11/28/22, 11:59 AM   #5
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Since he was on the race poster, I would imagine that Vado is giving him some appearance money. I don't think there is any chance that he is at the Chili Bowl. Kyle never said that he was giving up midget racing. He just said he was giving up the Chili Bowl for a while.
No appearance money. Just something Kyle chose to do. Chris Kearns the new owner of Macon is the promoter of the Wild West Shootout at Vado Speedway Park. They do that for drivers who commit to being there for most of all of the 6 races in 9 days. Last year the races there where decent. I’ll be watching both races again this year.

2 members like this post: OnTheHammer, tirespinner
11/28/22, 2:51 PM   #6
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadrace_814 View Post
Unless I am forgetting something (Which definitely could be the case.), I do not think there are any rear engine racing series out there. If so, what am I missing?
There are actually way more than enough of these "rear engine racing series out there":

Indy Lights (now known as Indy NXT),
USF Pro 2000,
USF 2000,
USF Juniors (sanctioned by USAC),
FIA FR Americas (American Formula 3),
FIA Formula 4 (America),
SCCA F1600,
SCCA F2000,
Skip Barber Formula Race Series....

and I'm sure I missed a few. I long for the day when we see a few of our dirt track open wheel heroes dip their toes in to these waters, for then we may have real hope of seeing them compete in the Indianapolis 500. Instead, these days, we see people like CBell who simply say, "IndyCar teams don't want us (USAC guys)."; and to that, I say, "What have you done to show them that they should want you?". There's not a need for someone like CBell to run a whole series, but jump in one of these cars a couple times- if you're a serious talent, then you should run right at the front.

We used to see this some, not all that long ago. Kasey Kahne ran some of these before settling on NASCAR. Chad Boat and Davey Hamilton Jr. dabbled a bit chasing their father's footsteps. Chris Windom had a couple of cups of coffee, as did Jay Drake and a few others. Today, there's almost no one doing anything like this, except Brent Crews, who although he hasn't competitively raced a formula car yet, he has raced, and won, in the TransAm series.

[Sorry for the long post and potential highjacking of this thread, but the question posed hits a nerve for me.]

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, PIT CART, TNRustler, TQ29m
11/28/22, 4:00 PM   #7
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
There are actually way more than enough of these "rear engine racing series out there":

[Sorry for the long post and potential highjacking of this thread, but the question posed hits a nerve for me.]
First off, I apologize for hitting a nerve. There was no intention on that. Along with I did a terrible job trying to get my point across. As I know about the Indy Lights series. As on several occasions they provided the most exciting finishes at Indy during the month of May. Four wide coming for the checkered flag is something all of us Indy 500 fans would love to see happen at the end of the 500.

I will admit a couple of these other series I did not even know they existed.

Thanks

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
11/28/22, 11:33 PM   #8
kendirt

You think the Chili Bowl would allow him to enter a car and just let it sit in case Vado rains out or something? Considering there's a good chance he'd qualify straight to the A and then not come back for Saturday.

I wouldn't if I was the event promoter. It's a slap in the face to all the guys who are committed to running the Chili Bowl.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
11/29/22, 12:35 AM   #9
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
You think the Chili Bowl would allow him to enter a car and just let it sit in case Vado rains out or something? Considering there's a good chance he'd qualify straight to the A and then not come back for Saturday.

I wouldn't if I was the event promoter. It's a slap in the face to all the guys who are committed to running the Chili Bowl.
He can enter a car if he wants to, or someone could enter for him but if he doesnt run one of the prelim days he would start in the I main or something saturday morning. Plus when a car is entered it is assigned a prelim night so he couldnt just pick whatever night it rains in New Mexico. He could however run a prelim night and Saturday and run at Vados the other nights. The problem with that, and what this all comes down to, is Vados pays way more to win on Saturday than the CB.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART, tirespinner
11/29/22, 12:43 AM   #10
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
He can enter a car if he wants to, or someone could enter for him but if he doesnt run one of the prelim days he would start in the I main or something saturday morning. Plus when a car is entered it is assigned a prelim night so he couldnt just pick whatever night it rains in New Mexico. He could however run a prelim night and Saturday and run at Vados the other nights. The problem with that, and what this all comes down to, is Vados pays way more to win on Saturday than the CB.
It pays $25K to win the last race at Vado.
There is an incentive to race there.
If you win 4 of 6 races, it's a $25,000 bonus.
If you win 5 of 6 races, it's a $100,000 bonus.
If you can win all 6 it pays an extra $300,000 bonus.

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, PIT CART, tirespinner, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???