IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Western World qualifying
10/30/22, 11:26 AM   #11
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Cap, you think it’s that bad? I don’t know I haven’t gone on the other sight in years. I just think we have some folks of strong opinions, and I don’t think any of it personal, but that’s just me. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I might have offended on this board, I assure you it’s not my intention. Now to qualifying. I don’t mind 2 cars but that’s my limit. I’ve said it before I think the efficiency could be very much improved at most places for single car qualifying.

Agree with you with this exception. Strong, well-supported opinions are fine, but personalized, denigrating comments are unnecessary to make a point. My comment is not directed at you or any particular person. Just a general observation.

10/30/22, 12:36 PM   #12
Re: Western World qualifying
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Is it just me or are some of the comments here becoming needlessly accusatory and abrasive. There is another racing site which seems of this orientation.
It seems like it is the same people over, and over.

10/30/22, 8:46 PM   #13
flagboy55

I’m not saying it holds up a show at all. Just saying in some cases it could be more efficient.

10/30/22, 9:52 PM   #14
openwheelfan1

My thoughts:

Since I’ve been around sprint car racing or over 60 years, I’m both old school AND old. Single car qualifying is what I’m used to. BUT, when I’ve taken our son’s friends with us to races (when he was a teen) or even when we’ve taken our friends who’ve never been to a sprint car race, they find single car qualifying boring. They usually prefer Hot Lap/Group Qualifying as at least they can compare relative speeds of the cars in the group.

I’m not saying USAC should go to group qualifying, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with qualifying two cars at a time.

10/31/22, 7:24 AM   #15
kb78

My opinion, for what it's worth, is what was advertised on time? If you advertised racing at 7:00 and single car qualifying is going to run you past that then by all means go with two at a time if the track layout works for it. I do like the idea of only 1 or 2 cars at a time as this is the best time to announce home town/ sponsors/ car and engine make and be able to hear it. With group qualifying sometimes it is hard to hear these things.

10/31/22, 8:08 AM   #16
Hubie48

I like the double qualifying but have seen some really close calls. Especially in 2022 season, Kokomo stands out. It has to be extremely well orchestrated. From what I remember the error was normally on the driver of the car in question. One almost got T-boned going out of the track and into the pit road and the other time I saw a close call was the driver took an extra lap.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/31/22, 8:51 AM   #17
JakeCroxton

I'll put the over/under at time saved for two-car qualifying at 8-minutes...for folks that are efficient with single-car qualifying, multiple car qualifying just usually makes people feel better...and isn't the drastic time-saver that everyone thinks it is...

10/31/22, 2:42 PM   #18
duel

I am not a fan of it unless it's something like the 4 crowns that have lots of cars to qualify. I think it takes some of the drama out of qualifying. It is hard to hear the pa with 2 cars out there. I like the focus on one car only.

10/31/22, 4:34 PM   #19
RHR

Us, With younger kids who race themselves at one level or another and bring friends with them to the races:

Unanimously the vote is always single car qualifying. There is nothing like watching each line and style intently, individually. Hearing who lifts, when, and who doesn't. When 3 inches of difference on the cushion means 3 tenths of a second.

Then seeing the kids listening to the lap, and guessing a time right before the scoreboard flashes a time. The excitement when their favorite tops the board, or a local knocks off the big name. All one at a time.

Don't dilute this. It's part of what makes a traveling series special.

10/31/22, 9:01 PM   #20
flagboy55

USAC racing is so good all we have to argue about is qualifying 😂😂😂

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Western World qualifying