IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shamrock Classic at DuQuoin Midget Updates
3/20/16, 12:44 AM   #41
kendirt

Thanks for the updates

2 members like this post: davidm, dirt_trackgurl006
3/20/16, 11:05 AM   #42
Re: Shamrock Classic at DuQuoin Midget Updates
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you for updating us!!

1 member likes this post: Throttlemom
3/20/16, 12:22 PM   #43
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Outlaw Karts still racing main event...

5 members like this post: racegal, rclaridge, ryan84, Tom23, wildman92
3/20/16, 1:50 PM   #44
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderndaydrifter View Post
outlaw karts still racing main event...

2 members like this post: jmichels, Steve Wendel
3/20/16, 4:36 PM   #45
BrentTFunk

I thought it was a pretty good show. I appreciate the hard work that Bryan and Lauren did to promote this. The attention to detail that they did was impressive. Thanks for all your effort. It was a very long night, but that always happens when you have a lot of cars. Big cars counts and quick shows are never used in the same sentence.

3/21/16, 4:36 AM   #46
DiehardRaceFan

Race Count Last Year: 72

There were some really neat aspects that were tried that didn't go off as planned, but are ones worth using again IMO, especially the driver intros tried in the beginning. Loved all of the openness and interactivity of the show, down to the open drivers meeting. Thanks Bryan, Lauren, Bernie, and everyone else responsible for putting on this show. For the bumps in the road that there were, it was a really fun evening and the racing, as usual, was good inside the Southern Illinois Center. It was a late night, but it all in the end was worth it.

3/21/16, 6:06 AM   #47
miledirt

Looked like BC, Lauren, and the whole crew were trying to go above and beyond to make the inaugural Shamrock Classic both successful and entertaining for the fans. They were working their tails off to try to get track right so that there was a top and bottom. Levi was working hard pit side to keep the show moving. Everyone handled the unfortunate illness of the gentleman in the stands professionally and respectfully. For me, the extra class racing just wasn't necessary. Hot laps at 4p, first heat at 5 and feature at midnight is long. But it was a good show; surprising how well the Southern Illinois Center as a venue works out for racing.
Attached Images
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 5.12.16 AM.png (463.7 KB, 75 views)
Last edited by miledirt; 3/21/16 at 6:14 AM.

2 members like this post: ISF, mc/rider
3/21/16, 10:11 AM   #48
ISF

We've attended all but just a couple of the midget events that have been held at The Southern Illinois Center.

8 1/2 hours from the beginning of hot laps to the conclusion of racing seems highly excessive timewise. I think we'd all agree that 8+ hours is a long time to complete a program. The medical emergency really only accounted for 15 or 20 minutes of that time.

The fumes were extremely pervasive almost from the first group hot lapping. We've never noticed the fumes to be as oppresive in the previous half doxen plus shows we've attended at Du Quoin. I'm absolutely sure all that could be done to attempt to alleviate the problem was done but the mystery is why was it so bad this time and not in the past.

For whatever reason the high racing groove wasn't as prevalent as in the past. We didn't see the big sliders and prolific passing the high groove has provided at past shows.

As far as the "super cross" atmoshere (the announcer actually used "super cross" in his intro of the music, etc.) that was attempted with the loud music and light shows, it's a shame all of that didn't come off as it was intended and in a timely fashion. Personally we're there to watch good racing and good racing is all that is needed to be a successful show but if it is an added attraction, especially for the kids, then we're all for it if it doesn't grossly interfere with the ebb and flow of the racing program.

I am more than a little bit apprehensive about posting some of the glitches we experienced Saturday night because of the perception of bashing. That is not the intent and averting that perception is of prime concern.

In our group we had 5 adults, one who traveled 9 hours one way and the rest coming over 4 hours one way and we stayed overnite Saturday night in the Du Quoin vacinity. We will gladly continue to make that type of monetary commitment to attend the indoor shows at Du Quoin. Especially given the quality of the entertaiment we've known to be the case in the past. I'm sure the promoters and USAC are well aware of the obvious and will strive to eliminate them, but 8+ hours is simply too long of a show.

We really hope that this show and the Christmas show remain on our list of "must see" events for decades to come and the effort put forth by the promoter's and their staff is to be commended and I'm sure the kinks will be worked out.

3/21/16, 1:10 PM   #49
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
We've attended all but just a couple of the midget events that have been held at The Southern Illinois Center.

8 1/2 hours from the beginning of hot laps to the conclusion of racing seems highly excessive timewise. I think we'd all agree that 8+ hours is a long time to complete a program. The medical emergency really only accounted for 15 or 20 minutes of that time.

The fumes were extremely pervasive almost from the first group hot lapping. We've never noticed the fumes to be as oppresive in the previous half doxen plus shows we've attended at Du Quoin. I'm absolutely sure all that could be done to attempt to alleviate the problem was done but the mystery is why was it so bad this time and not in the past.

For whatever reason the high racing groove wasn't as prevalent as in the past. We didn't see the big sliders and prolific passing the high groove has provided at past shows.

As far as the "super cross" atmoshere (the announcer actually used "super cross" in his intro of the music, etc.) that was attempted with the loud music and light shows, it's a shame all of that didn't come off as it was intended and in a timely fashion. Personally we're there to watch good racing and good racing is all that is needed to be a successful show but if it is an added attraction, especially for the kids, then we're all for it if it doesn't grossly interfere with the ebb and flow of the racing program.

I am more than a little bit apprehensive about posting some of the glitches we experienced Saturday night because of the perception of bashing. That is not the intent and averting that perception is of prime concern.

In our group we had 5 adults, one who traveled 9 hours one way and the rest coming over 4 hours one way and we stayed overnite Saturday night in the Du Quoin vacinity. We will gladly continue to make that type of monetary commitment to attend the indoor shows at Du Quoin. Especially given the quality of the entertaiment we've known to be the case in the past. I'm sure the promoters and USAC are well aware of the obvious and will strive to eliminate them, but 8+ hours is simply too long of a show.

We really hope that this show and the Christmas show remain on our list of "must see" events for decades to come and the effort put forth by the promoter's and their staff is to be commended and I'm sure the kinks will be worked out.
Your observations are spot on! I was bothered by the fumes more than anytime ever at this race. The air seemed to become hazy almost immediately. In regards the length of the program, it seems that all the races I've attended at this facility have been lengthy, but this one was even more so. Perhaps a start time of 1:00PM,or even noon, would get us out on the road at a more decent hour. I'm not bashing; but trying to make some constructive suggestions.
The crowd was of decent size, but not near as large as the December event. I wonder if some people might have seen scared away by all the comments about the event being a sellout and decided not to come, fearing they wouldn't have a seat. My friends who normally come with me weren't able to because of a recent death in the family, purchased the Pay Per View package and were very pleased. I wonder if some of the other non-attendees purchased this as well. If so that would help the promoter's bottom line. Thanks to Bryan and Lauren for all your work in staging this event. It was a good first effort.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, Kansasdirtfan, Rpracing1
3/21/16, 2:54 PM   #50
wandak

I think some missing people can be accounted for by the fact that local stock car racing initial weekend was happening at several tracks and the 'crossover' fans that are becoming interested in watching midgets were back at the stock car races. I know some rained out but not in time to make the trip to DQ.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Kellen Conover, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shamrock Classic at DuQuoin Midget Updates