IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around
10/10/07, 10:30 AM   #11
Re: Favorite track that is no longer around
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Dave Despain asked the question "If you had $100 million dollars and could live out your racing fantasy what would it be? Someone emailed him and said they would buy back the stripmall and rebuild Little Springfield. I didn't catch the name but I was thankful to see that track still have that following after 20+ years of it not being around.

The late Len Calinoff had a lot of suggestions when he posted on another forum. One of them was to turn the tables and tear down a few strip malls and build race tracks in their place.:thumb:

10/10/07, 10:57 AM   #12
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Wow....I know I'll be leav'n some out,But heres just a few.... Old S.J. Spwy..Baylands Rwy Pk...Vallejo Spwy...W.Capitol...Clovis...Kearny Bowl...and mabe just the greatest of all time, "Ascot Park".....Whew!!....What memories they hold......

10/10/07, 11:18 AM   #13
mortboyz

I too miss Little Springfield. I still continue to stop and pee in the former parking lot every year after the Fairgrounds Champ Car race. Godfrey Speedway and St. Charles Speedway (another semi-high banked dirt 1/4 with the board walls) also come to mind...

10/10/07, 11:20 AM   #14
racefan20

16th St speedway!!
On the news last week they were talking about tearing it down. It would cost too much to get rid of all the lead based paint used there to make it cost effective to use it for another purpose. They had some pictures from inside and it looked like the grass had taken back over where the track used to be.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

10/10/07, 12:24 PM   #15
Mr. Happy

Lil' Springfield and Santa Fe. Maybe 16th Street....maybe. :eek:

10/10/07, 12:32 PM   #16
petey

Godfrey, Ill. Only made it there once.

10/10/07, 12:32 PM   #17
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

The track I miss the most is Penn National, but I'd have to add Reading and Flemington the dirt version to the list.

10/10/07, 1:12 PM   #18
Gasman fan 50

Ascot, West Capitol, Vallejo, and San Jose's three tracks. All California tracks. Ascot they sure used that place every night of the week, with a Slick track on their land!!! Polished Cement with baby powder on it. Man those were the days!!. To teach you how to back it in!! West coast racing.
West Capitol-one mile, half mile, and a quarter mile. all in one.:Steer

10/10/07, 2:03 PM   #19
chadsniffsmethanol

16th street speedway

via spring 2007

10/10/07, 2:16 PM   #20
bojo20

Raceway Park(Blue Island Ill)== Santa Fe Speedway===87th St Speedway===O'Hare Speedway===Mance Park Speedway

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around