IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Blueracer123 (Offline)
  #11 3/28/16 6:43 PM
That is what 3 of the builders told me it cost them to put their cars together. $7,500 in the engine, installed and mostly done. Then the rest in the chassis. There are some good sprint rollers that are not very expensive.
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #12 3/28/16 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Blueracer123:
Which had they paid attention to the press release they would have seen that in the first place. Though I know exactly who you are talking about. At least they built two and were able to sell to others for now.

Also to answer a question up above the total cost on this 602 is roughly $12,000-14,000. I have heard the racesavers sprints are going for $18,000-24,000. I could be off on the racesavers price though.
No so much pay attention because there was a Facebook post about middle of last summer that said $1,000 to win & possibly $175 / $200 to start. I can see why guys would be up in the air about it. $400 to win & $100 to start <> that $100 to start is a bit short of a new right rear. That's what some might be thinking of. Hope to see a decent field of them to start the season thought. Hope to see the class grow but it will be hard with the payout. It's cool to see something new and fresh from the same old stuff. Guess will see on Opening night. Heard some cool stuff about the track this weekend. If they get the track surface & prep figured out I think Plymouth has the chance to be a decent dirt track.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
trecraft (Offline)
  #13 3/29/16 12:20 AM
A bit short of a tire at $100 to start? Where do you buy your Hoosiers?
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #14 3/29/16 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by trecraft:
A bit short of a tire at $100 to start? Where do you buy your Hoosiers?
Well let me ask you this since I really don't know. What is the cost of a right rear sprint car tire from Hoosier?
The only reason I said that is I figured it would be more then are UMP Modified tires that are about $125 new.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #15 3/29/16 1:41 AM
I would like to have a positive attitude on this, but I just have a hard time seeing this being real successful(hopefully I am wrong). Why create another class and further divide the already dwindling car counts and on top of that why not make it a 305, so Bloomington racers can race? Finally, if these 602 motor are over 10k, then why would a startup team/kid/family not just bypass this and buy a fresh -12 and have the option to race at over 5 different places within 200 miles of indy. Same priced car, similar priced motor, 1/3 the payout. I wish them the best, and will try and be positive about this.
5 Likes: kcarm92, lukesmith, PAW, Speedsme61x, Tony74
latemodel55 (Offline)
  #16 3/29/16 7:38 AM
The Ira wingless sprints are by far the best crate sprint car class. In only its second year they will be flirting with the 20 car mark. Wish some other tracks would take suit.
Attachments:
image.jpg (97.5 KB)

98arpy (Offline)
  #17 3/29/16 8:03 AM
Originally Wilmot was going to run the 602 engine non winged but changed to the 604 with only a chassis dyno hp rating to control engines.
latemodel55 (Offline)
  #18 3/29/16 8:24 AM
The engine dyno deal has worked out great. Keeps cost down by not monopolizing the engine deal. The 604 engine kit can be done for under $7500 with all new parts.
98arpy (Offline)
  #19 3/29/16 8:27 AM
Here is the difference between the Pro Sprint engine and the Racesaver engines. The Pro Sprint 602 engines are only available from Pace Performance in Ohio.
They have the cam drilled and tapped to accommodate the fuel and Power steering pumps. Spec carb, headers, drive/balancer hub with yoke, carb spacer plate with throttle linkage and rev limiter with a 6,200 rpm chip.
The engines come with the GM seal bolts and Pace adds 6 numbered wire cable seals as well as their own wire cable seal that has a QR code on it that can be scanned with an I phone that has a web site you can go to to see the history of the engine. The base package is $5,179 and turn key, plug and play for $7,850.
There are other options like pulleys and belts and alternater with 5lb battery.
The Racesaver engine as I read them mandates minimum weight components like crankshaft and specs on other components like rods and heads.
To enforce rules the engines would have to be dissembled.
I recently read that they found that a company had built more than 50 illegal crankshafts tha had proper weight but had been modified.
Not saying there is anything wrong with the Racever program but we believe our program is more suited for true controlled cost and maintenance racing.
Larry Kemp
Speedsme61x (Offline)
  #20 3/29/16 9:27 AM
As I drive by this race track to go race with SOD, GLSS and MTS with 360 and 410 engines I will wave hello from US 31!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 Likes: nathans1012, PAW, trecraft