IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
7/13/19, 4:08 PM   #21
Re: Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
oldfan49

When this race was announced last year it was a huge win for midget fans and racers in this part of the country. many of us have been begging for midgets there for years. And it was a huge success the way the race went off it was a huge win for the track as well.
I am sure everyone was as excited as I was when it was announced the race was coming back for a 2nd year and even more excited to find out POWRI was coming on board. I am sure many have been planning for it all year.

The 4 days before the race the track made an announcement "So to clear up some confusion we will be having USAC midgets and 2 mil winged outlaw micros on Sunday July 14. The reason this race is not a co-sanction POWRi and USAC there is a difference in the midget motor package in their rules and was unable to come together on the rule package. I would like to thank both Kenny Brown with POWRi and Levi Jones with USAC and wish them the best of luck with the rest of the 2019 season."

A few hours later POWRI made an announcement "In lieu of POWRi being dropped from the program on Sunday, July 14 at Sweet Springs Motorsports Complex, the staff at Humboldt Speedway in Humboldt, Kansas has graciously extended a hand in giving both the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget League and the POWRi Lucas Oil West Midget League a place to round out their weekend on Sunday night.
“I’d like to personally thank Humboldt Speedway promoter Ryan Whitworth for extending the offer to run us on Sunday, July 14th,” commented POWRi owner, Kenny Brown. “After the news was released that we were dropped from the program at Sweet Springs, Ryan reached out and asked if we would like to run at Humboldt on Sunday to round out the weekend.”
"

We will probably never know what all happened. I haven't seen any more announcement from the track. Some POWRI Racers have posted they agree with the tracks version, Some associated with POWRI say that's not what happened. As far as I have found USAC hasn't even mentioned it, In the end the results is what matters.

Bottom line a race many had been planning for all year is now split. This races future is at the least very doubtful. Many fans and racers and possibly promoters and tracks probably have a sour taste in their mouth and it's probably a setback for midget racing in the area.

Bottom bottom line everyone looses no matter the details. And as the original posts says we just seem to keep repeating this story.

6 members like this post: bighd0522, erich45, Jonr, Ken Bonnema, PIT CART, WinglessLovers
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC