IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Motors
9/14/11, 5:12 PM   #1
Midget Motors
DAD

It seems when you get right down to it, talks about midgets always end up the same place "MOTOR" cost.
What would make a good Midget motor?
How many cylinders?
How many cid?
Do we take into account cylinder head type or leave it open?
Do we allow electronics?
Do we allow turbochargers?
Do we allow transmishions?
Do we allow chain drive again?
Do we specify stock block and head?
Do we allow hybrid motors from cycle top ends and special cranks and crankcase?
Do we make a claim rule?
Do we use a spec sealed engine?
What would be a good Midget motor ?? and why?

1 member likes this post: Hammer
9/14/11, 6:56 PM   #2
Re: Midget Motors
Roy Bleckert

My first shot across the Bow is ....................

Start with the current USAC # 1050 & engine rules so you do not obsolete current equipment & let stock production car head & block engines 2.5 liter max run @ 1000 # like the Volkswagen is allowed

Lightning Sprint Chassis chain drive 1200 cc stock engine or 1000 cc with allowing one to modify which will yield about 200 Rear Wheel HP.
By my rough calculations this car should weigh about 850# to be competitive with a USAC Midget

Allow the Esslinger/RRE etc. spec engines in at a weight in between that makes them competitive also

This will allow for some innovation & give peeps a option of what they can afford, back yard engineer, buy used equipment or buy parts off the shelf

Then throw the Green Flag & Let Er Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/14/11, 9:36 PM   #3
LocalYokel

Open up the rules to allow more current OEM based engines to be competetive within reason.
No transmissions and no chain drives. By defination a midget is direct drive with a rear end gear. Some very old timers will argue that a long time ago some midgets were chain driven, those days are gone.
No claimers and no spec engines. Innovation can reduce the cost of these motors...
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: buck2, team3521
9/14/11, 9:50 PM   #4
Bradleyracing86

Do they Allow the aluminum mercruiser engines.. ?
Posted via Mobile Device

9/14/11, 10:08 PM   #5
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post
Open up the rules to allow more current OEM based engines to be competetive within reason.
No transmissions and no chain drives. By defination a midget is direct drive with a rear end gear. Some very old timers will argue that a long time ago some midgets were chain driven, those days are gone.
No claimers and no spec engines. Innovation can reduce the cost of these motors...
Posted via Mobile Device
Why is it that the definition of a midget is direct drive with a rear end gear...do you think chains are crude? Midget because of engine cost has all but put them out of business. Why is it that Micro racing and Lightning Sprint racing is on a surge? Clearly it is engine cost...Look over in Aus. how they have revived the midgets...STOCK MOTORS cut the cost. Every person in the stands could careless if the midget is chain driven or gear driven. what they do care about is the racing and the care count. infact with the chain drives being self starting is a plus

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3 members like this post: DAD, koolaid89
9/15/11, 7:57 AM   #6
DAD

I'm old school, raced gokarts back in the 50's. I'll never forget getting on a dual engine kart and steeping on the gas the first time, that was a kick in the pants. Since a midget must have a rear end and drive shaft, because that is the way we define them now and history doesn't count and we can't think outside the box god forbid and use a chain drive. Here is what I would do, first get two high tec jap1000cc motors, find some old school 3/4 midget machinist to cut off the transmishions bolt them to a motorplate with a drive shaft in the middle driven by timeing belts from each motor, lay the left motor over and stand the right motor straight up and drive through a drive shaft to the quick change rear end. We currently are getting about 225-245 horse power with these enginines now, double that equals 450 horse power, with a 1150 car and driver that would be about 2.5 horsepower to the pound. The driver would have to take careful aim before depressing the go button. It would also probably be hard on right rear tires.
Last edited by DAD; 9/15/11 at 7:58 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
9/15/11, 9:26 AM   #7
buck2

Go get a new mid-price Esslinger @ $20K and race happily everafter. Take it to a USAC race where the rpm's are limited and be competitive with the best in the world. Take good care of it and race two seasons before you rebuild it. Problem solved!

3 members like this post: Kent 5K, opnwhlmnd, Racer1039
9/15/11, 9:39 AM   #8
DAD

My motors cost $4500.00 I can't afford $20,000.00. My motor's make more horsepower I can run for 5 or 6 years with my motors and then replace them with the newer and badder motor out of Japan. Eslinger is so low tec us kids don't get into low lec stuff. Do you drive to work in a Pinto?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Buck we do have an arm guard sponsorship open. Would you be interested? About $12500.00 per year.

9/15/11, 10:41 AM   #9
Bradleyracing86

Dad you should build a chili bowl special.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
9/15/11, 10:50 AM   #10
RacinFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
Why is it that the definition of a midget is direct drive with a rear end gear...do you think chains are crude? Midget because of engine cost has all but put them out of business. Why is it that Micro racing and Lightning Sprint racing is on a surge? Clearly it is engine cost...Look over in Aus. how they have revived the midgets...STOCK MOTORS cut the cost. Every person in the stands could careless if the midget is chain driven or gear driven. what they do care about is the racing and the care count. infact with the chain drives being self starting is a plus
IMHO A midget is direct drive, The other is a minisprint!
Maybe its time to shoot the hoarse.

2 members like this post: bsmith8, rmr6nm
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Motors