IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: 16 ARCA Cars entered for Springfield
8/19/21, 5:48 AM   #1
OT: 16 ARCA Cars entered for Springfield
miledirt

I know this is off topic at IOW, but I would be interested to hear a lot of guys thoughts and ideas on this. And if the mods need to pull it, I get it

Some years back, ARCA would bring easily 35+ to DuQuoin and Springfield. There was a season when they were bringing a larger # of entries than the champ car division. Speaking of which, super thankful to see 40 entered for Saturday. But here's the question, if ARCA can't bring 20 cars to the dirt miles, what does Track Enterprises do? What other class or series of cars could make a great show at the Illinois state fairs on the dirt mile?
Last edited by miledirt; 8/19/21 at 5:49 AM. Reason: missed something

8/19/21, 12:32 PM   #2
Re: OT: 16 ARCA Cars entered for Springfield
Kinser11

NASCAR, has run the series into the ground. There use to be lots of, small teams for the short track races. They basically, are killing the series off. Have you watched any of the races? The Gibb Cars, are basically NASCAR teams. A few other, teams are nothing but young ride buyers. The days, of small teams having a car and run a couple races a year have disappeared.
The Silver Crown mess a few years ago, the truck series is not much better.

5 members like this post: 3R, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, PIT CART, racenut69
8/19/21, 12:41 PM   #3
chrismattlin

I'm no expert on stock car racing, although as a racing junkie, I follow it more than most people.

Anyways... I think it comes down to the fact that back when ARCA was drawing those huge fields to the dirt miles, all the cars were old, used NASCAR Cup cars. That formula enabled a large number of small business owners to field a car. Today, I don't believe the rules allow for that. I am sure that the current ARCA car differs from a Cup car in engines and bodywork, but not sure what else is incongruent. That takes the small-businessman out of the equation as the prep work for a car is more intensive and better suited to professional race teams.

All those small guys are in the K&N series these days, which is a shame, because those guys loved to one-off at places like Michigan and Pocono with drivers who never would've got the opportunity to run a superspeedway, otherwise.

2 members like this post: fish, Ken Bonnema
8/19/21, 3:03 PM   #4
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Time to replace ARCA. I would suggest any of the 3 top NASCAR series or SRX or WoO late models.

8/19/21, 3:22 PM   #5
PIT CART

SRX would be cool on a dirt mile 🏁🏁

8/19/21, 3:42 PM   #6
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
I'm no expert on stock car racing, although as a racing junkie, I follow it more than most people.

Anyways... I think it comes down to the fact that back when ARCA was drawing those huge fields to the dirt miles, all the cars were old, used NASCAR Cup cars. That formula enabled a large number of small business owners to field a car. Today, I don't believe the rules allow for that. I am sure that the current ARCA car differs from a Cup car in engines and bodywork, but not sure what else is incongruent. That takes the small-businessman out of the equation as the prep work for a car is more intensive and better suited to professional race teams.

All those small guys are in the K&N series these days, which is a shame, because those guys loved to one-off at places like Michigan and Pocono with drivers who never would've got the opportunity to run a superspeedway, otherwise.
I'm not a big modified fan but I think they would get a pretty big field and many fans, that makes promoters happy. The ARCA deal is a shame but there were always a couple of teams ahead of the rest. Late models would be interesting, not sure if I've heard of a dirt late model race on a mile recently but I bet it would get some attention. As long as the place stays open to auto racing
Sorry but this was supposed to be a reply to throwback racing and a nascar series involvement.
Last edited by jonboat15; 8/19/21 at 3:46 PM. Reason: mistake

8/19/21, 3:58 PM   #7
BrentTFunk

Don't think Springfield would fit in the SRX TV slot of Saturday night with no lights. Doubt if late models would draw a ton of cars either. The old ARCA dirt cars are used up, and there aren't really any hand me downs any more from NASCAR.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, fish
8/19/21, 9:21 PM   #8
miledirt

Yeah, it’s hard to think of another series that would work in the place of ARCA

Wish it could be the nascar trucks

8/19/21, 10:01 PM   #9
JakeCroxton

I posted a similar reply to a fb post...granted Bob Keselowski won the first one that I can remember...Mom and Dad have seen every show since 77...so we've seen the rise and the fall. Don't want it to go away for sentimental reasons. Know it's a deep and complex problem to fix it.

But the attitude by the "bloggers" was "how do you fix it" and "if you don't have an idea to fix it, then quit complaining."

They don't see a problem. And I was told that all the veterans that I named off that used to make the show...and give these young guys someone to go beat to show they actually had the pedigree to move up the ladder...meh...they're retired...yawn.

All true I guess...but if it continues on the current path...the ticket buyers will stop buying tickets.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99
8/19/21, 10:23 PM   #10
diversified

Only 20 cars entered for Michigan International Speedway tomorrow night (live on MAV TV at 6pm). Composite bodies and the Ilmor sealed engine makes up the current car on the old pre-"Car of Tomorrow" ex-Cup and Busch chassis. Pretty much spec cars, the top 4 or 5 teams all have Nascar ties/technology, the young drivers seem to be content to dump the guy ahead of them instead of passing them (granted, it's tough with essentially "spec" cars and limited horsepower). The mandatory cautions (like 5 minute yellow pit stops) twice a race really destroy any flow or stategy to the event. Used to be some great racing, pretty painful to watch these days...

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: 16 ARCA Cars entered for Springfield