IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silly Bowl DQ
12/23/21, 9:58 PM   #31
Re: Silly Bowl DQ
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
If it’s still got a clutch and shifts then that’s why he’s DQ’d id venture to say. The tq’s here run a u joint right off the crank and don’t use the gearbox on the engine at all. On the old Hondas they cut the trans off and plated the side of the block. The newer engines are compact enough to leave alone just still have to be direct drive.
There is no rule disallowing gearboxes. Until they write a real rule book they shouldn't be allowed to ban anything. And I say that being in favor of not allowing gearboxes. The 10" wheel thing is ridiculous too. Many TQs out there run all 13" wheels with a 10" on the LR. What is to stop someone from doing that with a Midget at the Chili Bowl? Or just run a TQ with a bigger engine?? Write a rule book and you don't have these issues. I have a lot of one off Chili Bowl ideas I would love the explore. However, I'm afraid to put my money and effort into it to have it "banned" because one person at the Chili Bowl office decides they don't like it or some super team whines loud enough to have my car parked.

I still find it disturbing that they ran the V8 Aussies out of the building. Those were awesome cars that, at the time, were legal in Australia Midget racing. No different than Mel & Don Kenyon's V8 Suzuki from the mid-80s that ran in USAC. But because Hahn was scared of someone putting a 410 V8 in a Midget they told them not to come back? Write some rules and you don't have to worry about things like that.
Last edited by Ray3; 12/23/21 at 10:09 PM.

4 members like this post: jjones752, jonboat15, oppweld, Pitdad
12/23/21, 10:47 PM   #32
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
There is no rule disallowing gearboxes. Until they write a real rule book they shouldn't be allowed to ban anything. And I say that being in favor of not allowing gearboxes. The 10" wheel thing is ridiculous too. Many TQs out there run all 13" wheels with a 10" on the LR. What is to stop someone from doing that with a Midget at the Chili Bowl? Or just run a TQ with a bigger engine?? Write a rule book and you don't have these issues. I have a lot of one off Chili Bowl ideas I would love the explore. However, I'm afraid to put my money and effort into it to have it "banned" because one person at the Chili Bowl office decides they don't like it or some super team whines loud enough to have my car parked.

I still find it disturbing that they ran the V8 Aussies out of the building. Those were awesome cars that, at the time, were legal in Australia Midget racing. No different than Mel & Don Kenyon's V8 Suzuki from the mid-80s that ran in USAC. But because Hahn was scared of someone putting a 410 V8 in a Midget they told them not to come back? Write some rules and you don't have to worry about things like that.
A lot of rule books have a last line. Subject to change at the tracks discretion.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
12/23/21, 10:56 PM   #33
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
A lot of rule books have a last line. Subject to change at the tracks discretion.
Any track or racing organization worth their salt would limit in-season changes to safety or procedure rules only. Car and engine rules should always be locked for at least one season.

2 members like this post: oppweld, Pitdad
12/25/21, 5:24 PM   #34
Jim Gardner

It is my understanding they dqed the engine. Not the car. "Its not a midget engine" was the explanation. I suppose if he wanted (and had more than 3 weeks notice) to shove an Esslinger, Subaru, or Volkswagen in it they would have to make a new rule to dq him

1 member likes this post: oppweld
12/25/21, 5:49 PM   #35
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
It is my understanding they dqed the engine. Not the car. "Its not a midget engine" was the explanation. I suppose if he wanted (and had more than 3 weeks notice) to shove an Esslinger, Subaru, or Volkswagen in it they would have to make a new rule to dq him
Well now I’m curious to learn what “is” a midget engine?

Stock block? Stock head? Based on a stock block or head? Purposed build from scratch is okay, but can’t have come from a motorcycle?

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, oppweld, PIT CART, Ray3
12/25/21, 10:49 PM   #36
revjimk

I wonder why the CB officials or team haven't just come out with an explanation???
The Great Mystery.....

12/26/21, 10:08 AM   #37
popham

I was under the impression that car was powered by a Suzuki Hayabusa Eng. I seen it run out there for a couple of years, and on certain tracks it was very competitive. The Hayabusa was the fastest production motorcycle for years with top speeds of 312 mph! Check out the u tube video of a jet ski with a Hayabusa engine in it.

12/26/21, 11:15 AM   #38
55fan

Yeley only uses the other three.

12/26/21, 12:05 PM   #39
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
That would make zero sense. I can see making an argument against a car that is chain driven but they have no business disallowing a car based on the engine alone. Who cares if it is derived from a motorcycle? Engines in midgets have come from just about everything from tractors to boats and everything in-between! I would like to see something from the Chili Bowl office before I believe they made this call based on the engine.
Last edited by Ray3; 12/26/21 at 12:12 PM.

2 members like this post: Jim Gardner, jonboat15
12/26/21, 12:22 PM   #40
The Old Coyote

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silly Bowl DQ