IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Push Start
6/19/21, 8:17 AM   #1
Silver Crown Push Start
The Old Coyote

I noticed at Williams Grove last night they pushed off the feature. I thought Silver Crown cars were supposed to self start.
Can anyone clarify?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
6/19/21, 8:20 AM   #2
Jrp4554

Push starting them is just quicker. I think they wanted to get the show rolling with a late as it was.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/19/21, 8:41 AM   #3
Re: Silver Crown Push Start
tamale wagon

rain was in the area, and not 15 minutes after the checkered flag fell it poured

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, fish, jim goerge, oppweld, tirespinner
6/19/21, 8:50 AM   #4
Pitdad

My recollection on Champ cars is that they, like their distant cousins (Indy cars), used remote starters, but had clutches. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they’ve done away with that convention.

6/19/21, 9:31 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

Thank you.

6/19/21, 10:27 AM   #6
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
My recollection on Champ cars is that they, like their distant cousins (Indy cars), used remote starters, but had clutches. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they’ve done away with that convention.
They still have clutches.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, tirespinner
6/19/21, 10:28 AM   #7
DJlives

Was not done away with at the opener

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
6/19/21, 11:05 AM   #8
PIT CART

I thought at half mile tracks they push start and the mile tracks they had to be started on there own?

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, tirespinner
6/19/21, 1:04 PM   #9
grumpy racer

The cars still have to have clutches in them per the rule book. During qualifying the car must move on its own after starting or you are penalized for push starting, ( I believe 12 spots) so if your quick time you start 12th. At start of the feature car must self start and move, if it stalls after moving can be pushed started so you don’t have to plug starter back in. If push started must go to the back of field.
Now that being said USAC and Track can change this process for weather or track rules, and speed up the program. Last night they pitted cars off back straightaway so dragging starters to front straightaway to start them would take forever especially if rain coming. I’m not sure as I wasn’t there but it looked like possibly cars were started during qualifying, I didn’t see push trucks being used, but I wasn’t there in person.
Eldora does not allow us to use starters always push started in pits. About half the time on half miles they have pushed started cars for one reason or another. We have talked about taking clutches out of cars at rules meetings, they are getting difficult to find parts for the Tilton set up. But as it’s been brought up then they are just big sprint cars and loose some of the tradition of Champ cars.

6/19/21, 1:43 PM   #10
badcoupe

The gear required for the bigger tracks would make it very hard on the clutch to get the car going. Kinda like trying to take off in 3rd gear in your regular car

3 members like this post: Hubie48, jim goerge, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Push Start