IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Arca Question
10/5/07, 8:07 PM   #1
Arca Question
FOR4

When I was very young back in 60's my dad and I went to a track in Danville Kentucky on most friday nights, a 1/4 paved track I think.The drivers that won most of the races were named Kimmel and the last night we went one of the Kimmels won the feature before he went to Vietnam. Is this the same family? If so has anybody did a book or something on this racing family, were talking about 30 years or more of racing here. I know this is not open wheel related but after last nights debate I guess we can talk about this a little bit. I welcome the change.

10/5/07, 8:46 PM   #2
Re: Arca Question
FOR4

OH ! I Forgot to say I think Bryon Clauson did a good job today I think they said he had oil pressure issues. I also noticed that when he went high nobody went with him and he lost several spots. I know that this will make all you ARCA fans mad but I still would rather watch a sprint or midget race:rolling:

10/5/07, 9:10 PM   #3
jmichels

Frank Kimmel's brother (and crew chief) Bill, used to race as did their father several years ago.

10/5/07, 9:34 PM   #4
Seadog

I remember going to Louisville Speedway back when USAC ran there (late 80's & 90's). IIRC Brian Tyler won his first USAC sprint feature there ('96?). They ran LMs as a support series and Bill and Frank Kimmel always ran. Seemed like one or the other was always track champion there.

Louisville speedway was a racy little 3/8 mile track. Then they put the dogleg in the backstretch to make it a 7/16 and screwed it up bad.

We can thank Jerry Carroll for buying it and closing it down. Thanks Jerry.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

10/5/07, 9:40 PM   #5
Danny Burton

Gregg, I go back further, I'm afraid.

I can easily recall the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway a 1/4 mile paved track just off I-65.

Frank's daddy Bill ran there, along with many others.

Looking for an open wheel/Indiana connection?

Sure, it's easy.

Bill also ran at Salem, home of many USAC sprint and midget races. :thumb:

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

10/7/07, 1:03 PM   #6
FOR4

Danny Burton I hope when you are done "doing the mail" that you will write a book about racing. I know I would buy it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Arca Question