IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richie Tobias @ Syracuse
10/5/07, 2:54 PM   #11
Re: Richie Tobias @ Syracuse
nuclear

The Tobias win at DuQuoin was a victory on many levels. I used to help on that team for a couple years. A few weeks before his triumph at the Ted Horn, Rich was in a serious flip at Springfield. The chassis (his only one) was destroyed. That happened to be the year of the Mopar Million Sprint race at Eldora, and Rich had built a sprint car just for that race. With Duquoin only a few weeks away, he was forced to convert his new (home-made) sprint chassis into a Silver Crown chassis. Upon arrival at Duquoin, his practice was cut short by a part failure (steering gear, I think). Then he missed qualifications due to a transmission failure, and the team scrambled to replace it. They BARELY made the call to start the B-main. Some people say that USAC gave the B-main field a few extra warm-up laps, just so Rich could get out on the track in time for the start. He passes enough cars to make the show. Now keep in mind that he was driving a brand new (and home-made) chassis, without quals or practice, that was thrashed together. The he goes out there and tattoos the field from the rear. Wow. Truly an inspirational drive indeed. Unfortunately, I was not there to witness his very first USAC Silver Crown win. Hearing the story described to me the day after reminded me of his insane night at Indy, a few years earlier. Hoosier 100: He passes the ENTIRE field from the tail spot, and drives away with it... Only to have the power steering fail on him. DNF. This guy can shoe a race car.

10/6/07, 5:13 AM   #12
Midget82

a little off topic... but knowing his silver crown slinghot was a pretty wild, homemade, design... can anyone imagine what a slingshot "New-Age Silver Crown" would look like?:kookoo2:

or did the creators of the new "cars" copy the slingshot? hehe:emote20:

10/7/07, 9:24 AM   #13
Racinartist_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Speedchannel has carried that race in the past. Wonder if they, or anyone, will?
SPEED's schedule on their website has tape-delayed coverage listed for Saturday Oct. 28th at 5PM.

10/7/07, 6:27 PM   #14
delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
They can't even get a full field in Pa
They started 30 at linda's speedway in pa. last week feature.

10/7/07, 8:11 PM   #15
Racinartist_2

Just incase anyone cares, Richie finished 3rd in the modified race today. Not too shabby for a 'part-timer' against the best DIRT has to offer in the BB mods.

10/7/07, 8:38 PM   #16
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinartist_2 View Post
Just incase anyone cares, Richie finished 3rd in the modified race today. Not too shabby for a 'part-timer' against the best DIRT has to offer in the BB mods.
Good for Rich! I was also happy to see that Vic Coffey won the thing.:thumb:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richie Tobias @ Syracuse