IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Sunn burns dma midgets at albany-saratoga
8/14/22, 10:40 PM   #1
Usac: Sunn burns dma midgets at albany-saratoga
admin

8/14/22 10:33 PM SUNN BURNS DMA MIDGETS AT ALBANY-SARATOGA

More...

SUNN BURNS DMA MIDGETS AT ALBANY-SARATOGA

Malta, New York (August 12, 2022)………Josh Sunn (Quechee, Vt.) won his fourth feature of the season with the USAC-DMA midgets at Albany-Saratoga Speedway on Friday night.

Sunn led the final 12 laps to score a convincing victory in JR Mancini’s Spike chassis #76m.

Ralle Rookey took the lead at the start of the feature setting a fast pace at the front of the field looking like he might pull off his first win. While he was leading, Josh Sunn was motoring up from sixth starting spot and into second spot on lap five. On the ninth lap, Sunn was able to power around Rookey to take the lead.

Seals-It Racing teammates Seth Carlson and Matt Tanner also drove through the pack with Carlson getting by Rookey on lap eleven and Tanner following soon after. That was as far as they made it. Sunn stretched out his lead over the remaining laps to grab another win. Carlson finished second and Tanner third. Justin Sheridan and Manny Dias rounded out the top five.

After finishing second in the heat race, Sunn’s crew made a few adjustments to the shocks and bringing in the right rear. The changes worked to perfection as Sunn was fast from the start of the race.

“The car was a rocket, thanks to JR (car owner JR Mancini) for all his hard work,” Sunn remarked. “I’ve always wanted to win at Albany-Saratoga in a midget and it all worked out with a bad ass fast car.”

Empire Super Sprint driver Matt Tanner made his debut in Skip Matczak’s #2 and brought the car home third.

“I had a blast, it just took some time to figure out what I needed to do, the car was better than the driver,” Tanner said. “I made one mistake at the start of the A main, and Josh and Seth got by me but once I settled in behind them and saw what they were doing I felt like I could keep pace with Seth. I really appreciate the opportunity from Skip and hopefully can do some more races in the future.”

Ralle Rookey great race ended in disappointment as he dropped out of the feature with low oil pressure on the 13th lap. Still the first-year driver looked strong leading the first 8 laps of the feature.

Seth Carlson won the heat race over Sunn.

The USAC-DMA midgets are at Bear Ridge Speedway, Bradford, Vt. on August 27.

================

USAC DIRT MIDGET ASSOCIATION RACE RESULTS:* August 12, 2022 – Albany-Saratoga Speedway – Malta, New York

FIRST HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Seth Carlson (#4 Matczak), 2. Josh Sunn (#76 Mancini), 3. Ralle Rookey (#50 Matczak), 4. Justin Sheridan (#17 Shookus), 5. Brandon Piastka (#7 Miller), 6. Matt Tanner (#2c Matczak), 7. Manny Dias (#42 Dias), 8. Wayne Koehler (#91 Koehler), 9. Dan Piastka (#1 Miller), 10. Tom D’Angelo (#62 D’Angelo), 11. Nikki Ouellette (#14 Matczak).

FEATURE: (20 laps) 1. Josh Sunn, 2. Seth Carlson, 3. Matt Tanner, 4. Justin Sheridan, 5. Manny Dias, 6. Nikki Ouellette, 7. Ralle Rookey, 8. Brandon Piastka, 9. Wayne Koehler, 10. Dan Piastka, 11. Tom D’Angelo. NT

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-8 Ralle Rookey, Laps 9-20 Josh Sunn.

NEXT USAC DMA MIDGET RACE:* August 27, 2022 – Bear Ridge Speedway – Bradford, Vermont

USAC SPEED2 DIRT MIDGET ASSOCIATION POINTS: 1-Josh Sunn-503, 2-Seth Carlson-503, 3-Justin Sheridan-464, 4-Brandon Piastka-443, 5-Dan Piastka-433, 6-Ralle Rookey-323, 7-Manny Dias-291, 8-Todd Mable-219, 9-Mike Netishen-177, 10-Jeff Horn-169.

NEXT USAC DIRT MIDGET ASSOCIATION RACE:* August 27, 2022 – Bear Ridge Speedway – Bradford, Vermont

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Sunn burns dma midgets at albany-saratoga