IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Sold Out
8/15/22, 5:49 PM   #31
Re: Knoxville Sold Out
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
So I wasnt going to comment on this since I have never been to Knoxville, but this has been a positive debate for the most part and fun to read. I will add a few things. If you dont like it, fine, your choice, but dont come at me with name calling, being immature, all that negative b.s. If you dont like it, then just ignore it and scroll on and act your age. Some is facts, some is opinions.

So Smackdown does get promoted in some ways, highly unlikely like Knoxville does. We have a radio station in Kokomo that has been promoting it for a few weeks or so. WWKI 100.5FM. Country radio station. Not everyone around here listens to country music, especially the newer country music. Also being a small business owner myself, it is not cheap to advertise and promote via radio. No social media is not a good way to solely depend on either. However as Funk said, there are other businesses that get behind it and support it and promote it and individuals like him, myself, one he mentioned, others in this town that do all they can, talk all they can, but yet again, probably not like Knoxville.

It's not a week long party. Only about half a week. No the town doesnt stop or shut down or have parades or festivals. Some people in this town hates the track and racing and noise and etc. Its how they are, their not race fans, their loss/choice. That also does not help. As another said, no most the hotels doesnt even know what Smackdown is. No welcome race fans or deals/discounts, anything like that.

One factor that I personally see and think is an issue, is age. Please noone on here take it the wrong way bc that's not what it's intended for. Around here, the younger crowd is very very light and small at the race tracks. Most businesses cant even get the younger crowd to work, as I'm sure alot of you in your respective towns and areas have the same problem. I know people in their 20s and even early 30s that wont leave their house unless they have to and it has nothing to do with Covid or the economy. It's sad. Most of what I see at the tracks are dye hards, race travelers, or families. Example was Saturday night at US24 Speedway. 60-75% of the people around us didnt even know who Daison Pursley was, much less his injury situation and comeback story. Had no idea why some were in happy tears, screaming in joy, clapping, etc. It was families or people looking for affordable entertainment. Not your typical race fan. The fan base is growing older, some even passing on, not too much of a younger crowd. The 2 primary groups I spend time with, I'm the youngest in both groups at 40. The one group even picks on me and laughs at me calling me the baby at 40.

Something I havent seen anyone really discuss or talk about either is property size, rules/laws, city/county ordinances. Kokomo does not have the property Knoxville or Eldora has. Also neither does Terre Haute. Has Mr. Ronk and the others done a great job with TH, IN MY OPINION yes!!!! However, it's on the Fairgrounds and that becomes a factor. Kokomo is "landlocked" in a round about way. KG is on one side and is never going anywhere, it's one of the biggest grain operations in the state and midwest, its a farming community whether anyone likes farmers or not, outside of the big 3 factories in Kokomo. Then you got Davis Road and the RR tracks. Neither are going anywhere. So that leaves the farm ground west and north, along with the trash company and building. Those are the only directions the track could go for more parking, more camping, bigger pits, etc. It is possible as the farm ground belongs to extended family of mine who I help with harvest, but it would take ALOT of money to buy the farm ground as is the same for the trash company/building. Even then would it be Knoxville, probably not. Would it be Eldora, probably not. Lots and lots of history with those 2 tracks, as I would call the tracks, owners, promoters, past and present, Legends!!

I am very biased on this subject, Kokomo is the best track in the state hands down, top 5 in the nation, IF you ask me and IN MY OPINION. I love the O'connor Family, always hugs and handshakes at every race, I respect the hell out of them and how hard they work to make Kokomo what it is. Also another good friend of mine with them in combination, they all got me back into racing after my accident at 13 yrs old. However, will it ever be Knoxville or Eldora, highly unlikely. Those of us that wish it was or wish Smackdown was, we can always dream, hope, and wish. As one said, IF I hit the lottery real big, I'd do everything I could to turn Kokomo into a Knoxville track or Eldora track!! In the mean time, great positive debate that I have enjoyed reading, good day to all, and enjoy what we/you have, while we/you still have it.

Intelligent post but my question is if they cant sellout smackdown how are more seats going to attract more fans? Getting young people interested in non-wing sprints is the most important thing that needs to occur to keep the sport alive. Also losing drivers to winged racing has hurt too. If you want to see 30 somethings at the races go to a dirt Late Model race thats where they are.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
8/15/22, 8:15 PM   #32
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

John, you make a good point about age. Younger fans seem to flock to dirt late models. I think they can identify with many of the younger drivers. This past Saturday I went to Florence Speedway for the North / South 100. There were so many fans at the track they had to put them in the infield of the track. Thats a good problem to have for the track at $45 a ticket. I also noticed that when attending the Kings Royal, there are more younger fans there. Younger fans seem attracted to the WoO and winged racing. Non wing racing seems to attract an older veteran crowd. Hope that can change in the future. Tracks need younger fans for sure.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, racefan20
8/15/22, 9:02 PM   #33
flagboy55

Tons of young drivers in open wheel. If people don’t know it, no one is promoting it

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/15/22, 9:11 PM   #34
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
John, you make a good point about age. Younger fans seem to flock to dirt late models. I think they can identify with many of the younger drivers. This past Saturday I went to Florence Speedway for the North / South 100. There were so many fans at the track they had to put them in the infield of the track. Thats a good problem to have for the track at $45 a ticket. I also noticed that when attending the Kings Royal, there are more younger fans there. Younger fans seem attracted to the WoO and winged racing. Non wing racing seems to attract an older veteran crowd. Hope that can change in the future. Tracks need younger fans for sure.
I don't go to late model races, so I am sure you guys are right. I went to Joker's Wild night at Eldora. I thought the age demographic was pretty close to what I normally see. Saw the Outlaws a few years ago at Plymouth, and were saying we felt young in that crowd.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, opnwhlmnd
8/15/22, 10:42 PM   #35
duel

The Smackdown is the Big sprint car race in the midwest. If Knoxville were within a 6 hr drive I may consider it. I drove out to the 1st cornhusker deal but will not drive that far for wings. I know the wings put on a good show there. Better than most tracks they run on. Fortunate to have been in a suite the first night for usac. After the wings most people left before the usac show. Wing sprints are a big draw. Fans are rabid like late model fans. I guess I have seen too much great racing over the years with usac. Again, I have been to 200plus wing shows and most disappoint me compared to usac racing. I'm half happy we don't have huge crowds most of the time. When they lost the 7 officials in that plane crash it was like the same time cart and woo were formed. Think about it. USAC is still here.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, mc/rider, tamati
8/15/22, 11:13 PM   #36
opnwhlmnd

Knoxville hasn't been the same for me since Karl Kinser doesn't show up anymore late at night to drive the bus. Best bus driver ever. Not sure if any here will know what I'm talking about but it was hilarious.

Kokomo is by far the best kept secret in dirt tracks. The O'Connor's are great people and work super hard and it shows. Every time I make the drive over I try to bring a new race fan with me. Haubstadt is closer for me to show a new fan non-wing USAC sprint cars but I don't want to bore and turn them off on the first night so I use Kokomo for the first timers.

Is it possible The Smackdown doesn't sell out anymore because way too may people in a small area for a few days and that turns people off? The landlocked response was spot on.

Quote:
The Smackdown is the Big sprint car race in the midwest.
People in the middle of the country don't consider eastern time zone places like Kokomo the mid-west.
Last edited by opnwhlmnd; 8/15/22 at 11:21 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/16/22, 8:25 AM   #37
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Knoxville hasn't been the same for me since Karl Kinser doesn't show up anymore late at night to drive the bus. Best bus driver ever. Not sure if any here will know what I'm talking about but it was hilarious.
Without a doubt. No bus ride was quite right unless Karl was the driver. Always loved those stops along the way in those small towns that prompted action by the bus riders....Those were some fun times for sure.
Last edited by Kart#51; 8/16/22 at 8:59 AM.

8/16/22, 9:36 AM   #38
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
16j. That’s part of the reason I started this thread is that the OConnor’s deserve a full house. As has been noted on many a post, their work ethic is among the best.
It’s also well documented the work the Spencer family has done for years to always help promote the track and events. What can we do to help fill it up?
Well sir, I do not have the answer to your question, last sentence. I wish I did. Yes there are several families including the one you mentioned that do alot for the track and racing. Some others I know as well. Racefan20, your also correct, if we cant sellout current Kokomo, how would we sellout 30,000. I definitely dont have all the answers, just some facts and opinions to add to alot of other facts and good positive opinions on this topic. Definitely been a good fun discussion. Thank you for the topic and start of this discussion Flagboy55. Just like the bus thing, hell I just got educated and got a laugh out of the deal haha. I can only imagine what it was like.

All I can say right now is the lights was on last night, work is being done for SMACKDOWN!!!! I'm pretty sure the new scoreboard will be ready and working. I will 100% be there and so will my line of push trucks haha!! Pretty kool when all 3 are lined up back to back to back!! I'm doing my best to get new people to give it a try!! Hoping for a sellout and packed house for everyone involved!! I actually came up with one hell of a kool idea at Sprint Week that would look awesome, be seen for miles away, seen from the air, and that would yet again make Kokomo Speedway standout over most tracks, but I gotta go through the right people to even have a chance of getting it approved. IF it happens, it will look amazing next year!! In the meantime, GYATK haha!!

3 members like this post: duel, flagboy55, mc/rider
8/16/22, 10:22 AM   #39
dsc1600

Rather than comparing Knoxville to Kokomo, I think the non-winged world should work on elevating the 4 Crown.

The best thing to do in my opinion is moving the weekend to the weekend before the Kings Royal and create a 10 days of Eldora like the 10 days of Knoxville.

I’m sure this will go over like a fart in church on here, but this would create a natural audience as there would be people who would want to camp there for the whole time and would allow USAC to have its own weekend to showcase the product.

3 members like this post: duel, PIT CART, TNRustler
8/16/22, 1:12 PM   #40
Pancho Stapp

Myself i would like to see the 4👑 and Smackdown highlighted and promoted as much as possible. With that being said I believe the state of Indiana should be showcased as a whole by heavily promoting IMW, ISW, BC39, and the Smackdown. If we as a state are going to proclaim ourselves as “The Racing Capital of the World” then it should be represented as such. Now how we get there I can’t answer that. FlagBoy i try to promote it as much as i can and my group will be doing our part. My group of 5 will be in section B as usual. Can’t wait~9 days.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, reeserx
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Sold Out