IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It Ain’t Right
8/14/22, 11:32 AM   #1
It Ain’t Right
flagboy55

Pit stops or fuel breaks in Sprint Car racing is wrong! If you’re going to run a 50 lap race, make sure you can carry enough fuel to run it. I hate that break at the Knoxville Nationals.

8/14/22, 11:38 AM   #2
PIT CART

Looking at the size of the crowd I would not change anything. I could see a fuel only stop around half way, but the open red after the cars went 200 yards 🤔. Not trying to start a argument just my opinion.

8/14/22, 12:04 PM   #3
Re: It Ain’t Right
jdull99

Sounded like a great race and Winged sprint racing remains about as popular as its ever been. Pay out looked pretty good too...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, KSchudi, mlamb, PIT CART, WingedFan2019
8/14/22, 12:56 PM   #4
flagboy55

While I acknowledge the rules are the same for everyone. I just can’t help but wonder what would’ve happened if it would’ve been 40 with no break like it should be. Sunshine had an almost 2.5 second lead and they said he was 3 mph faster than Gravel when the caution came out. Pure speculation on what would’ve happened, and David knowing that a reset is imminent, maybe he was just riding. But they were about to hit traffic. I certainly like Tyler’s chances better if it were a properly run race instead of a gimmick

2 members like this post: captrat, ginblueearth
8/14/22, 1:38 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

I can live with the break since they actually invert the heats. I get tired of people complaining about racers having to race. If you can't pass unless the track is dry and slick, maybe the problem isn't the track, maybe it's the cars.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, Speedwrench, tamati, tirespinner
8/14/22, 2:30 PM   #6
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Half way should be 30 laps. JMO

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/14/22, 3:20 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

A regular feature at Knox is 20 laps now. They said with a few yellows they often ran out of fuel at 25 laps features

8/14/22, 3:24 PM   #8
dsc1600

Unless you were to change the rules for one race and make everyone run gigantic fuel tanks, you'd have to have a stop in a 40 lap race as well. Granted it wouldn't be a "planned" stop, but everyone would know it was coming. Fans are used to it by now and it has produced some excellent racing. I would have thought people would be complaining that the extra stop gave Schatz the time he needed to make adjustments given how slow he was in the first half, but I think people have started to appreciate it a bit.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
8/14/22, 3:30 PM   #9
Grocery Guy

I have no problem with the break. My time at Knoxville the time was strictly timed and enforced.

I'm sure I'll get crowned for this, but I never minded the break at the Hoosier 100. If you changed a tire, you went to the back. And you had to race your way back to the front. The strategy was interesting the few years they tried it seeing what drivers chose. Remember Bob Sargent telling me he was forced to go back to the original way.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, jdull99
8/14/22, 3:30 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Unless you were to change the rules for one race and make everyone run gigantic fuel tanks, you'd have to have a stop in a 40 lap race as well. Granted it wouldn't be a "planned" stop, but everyone would know it was coming. Fans are used to it by now and it has produced some excellent racing. I would have thought people would be complaining that the extra stop gave Schatz the time he needed to make adjustments given how slow he was in the first half, but I think people have started to appreciate it a bit.
Shatz all but admitted that without the caution, There's no way he'd of won.

It's sprint car racing. Hammer down from green to checker, Anything else is a gimmick. Not Run what you brung. But if you brung crap, You can change it mid race.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It Ain’t Right