IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Big Screen
12/24/21, 12:37 PM   #1
The Big Screen
flagboy55

So on the wonderful Flo racing, Tyler and Blake get Kyle Larson on to watch and comment on last year’s Chili Bowl win. During the interview Kyle says without the Big Screen, Grant beats him and he’s like 3rd or 4th. Dad and I were discussing it this morning and wanted to hear your opinions on the subject. Should the monitors be blank, or show sponsors during live racing and only used for replays? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

12/24/21, 12:55 PM   #2
Pitdad

Larson wouldn't be the first winner to mention using the big screen as a rearview mirror. I too dislike the ability to use the turn 1 big screen, but as a spectator, I do find it necessary for viewing the race from some of the seats (particularly from the pit GA seats in turn 2).

12/24/21, 2:45 PM   #3
Re: The Big Screen
Will Shunk

Delay the live action on the big screen by 10 seconds (at least a full lap) and use for all replays. That should "disorient" the drivers enough to prevent them from using the big screen as a mirror/spotter. Most fans can see the racing in real time and all can glance up to see action they just missed, plus replays of significant events. OR don't mess with it at all if you prefer "defensive" racing.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, spankytoo, WinglessFAN
12/24/21, 2:45 PM   #4
jonboat15

Drivers use the score board to see what other drivers are doing during a race. The big screen adds another element, instead of just knowing who is behind you and coming through the field you might be able to see the lines they are running and use that to your advantage. It doesn't matter much to me as a fan, the only time I don't like the big screens is when they block the view of the fans.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, dirtnonwingfan, PIT CART
12/24/21, 3:33 PM   #5
badcoupe

I remember my brother and others commenting on using the screens at places like the dome races, way back then.

12/24/21, 3:35 PM   #6
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Watching TV at full throttle in a midget, have at it drivers. At least their not texting

12/24/21, 3:44 PM   #7
TQ29m

Orr, build in a delay, but that might not be a good idea, someone might stop to reorient themselves.

1 member likes this post: spankytoo
12/24/21, 4:36 PM   #8
hoscalecody

My vote is a a delay.

1 member likes this post: spankytoo
12/24/21, 4:45 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They do this at Eldora too and block accordingly. I think the actual at track video screen should show running position and replays only Interviews. that kinda thing.

Also mentioned, A delay would stop all that.

1 member likes this post: duel
12/24/21, 5:15 PM   #10
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

If a driver is talented enough to glance at the screen, all while paying attention to other cars, lapped traffic, the flagman and still able to hit their marks, then more power to them. I just wonder how many times a driver glanced at the screen only to miss his marks and end up losing positions or crashes. I doubt if anyone would admit to that. Anybody know if they’ve ever heard any driver confess to that?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Big Screen