IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oil problem Gearte Midget
8/4/22, 5:10 PM   #11
Phl80

The amount of the time it was on the dyno it didn't show any concerns, however I don't think the dyno time was equivalent to 25 laps which is when we find the loss of oil.

8/4/22, 5:23 PM   #12
RHR

Pickup location, baffle situation in pan?

8/4/22, 5:38 PM   #13
TQ29m

So, that was to be my next question, didn't notice anything about the oil pressure, no gauge hysterics, but still not pumping back to the tank, or it would seem that way, not doing as it should. I know it will be difficult, but can you remove the pump, leave the hoses hooked up, and remove the drain plug, and run the pump with a drill, and see how long before it stops running out of the drain, it should be able to almost keep it from running out the drain, hard to think and tap at the same time, you might have to set it off kilter if the drain is really low on the bottom.

1 member likes this post: RHR
8/4/22, 6:05 PM   #14
TQ29m

On 2nd thought, you could do it by not draining it out, but sticking the oil bag say every minute or so, mark it at the start and watch how much it changes 😀

8/4/22, 6:24 PM   #15
Phl80

It drives off the cam and the oil isn't foamy at all. Didn't seem to do it on the dyno.

8/4/22, 6:26 PM   #16
Phl80

Thanks, will give this a try.

8/4/22, 6:32 PM   #17
TQ29m

Here's what I was thinking, if you're pump had been set up for a crank drive, and some how got on your engine, running at half speed again, it would not be able to keep up, you know the old saying, if it's possible, it'll happen to me

1 member likes this post: Pitdad
8/4/22, 6:48 PM   #18
TQ29m

Another thought, does your tank have a vent that is through the cap, or elsewhere via a hose, check either, on the return side, it takes very little to effect the oil returning, remember the difference in the gear widths, and they may not have been hooked up on the dyno!

8/4/22, 7:10 PM   #19
TQ29m

The more you think about it, the easier it becomes, my motto has always been, "give a lazy man a hard job, and he'll find an easy way to do it ".

8/5/22, 8:08 AM   #20
Phl80

The general consensus is it appears to be a pump problem. Too much pressure, not enough suction. 80 lbs. Oil pressure at idle seems a bit high. It has good venting, new lines, plumbed correctly but ultimately cannot scavage enough oil out the pan during a whole race night. So, after reading all the feedback and a great conversation I had with Tim who PM'd me it seems like it boils down to the pump or a pickup problem in the pan. I also failed to mention in my original post that the Oil Filter, although always just hand tight when installed is nearly impossible to get off, like its sucked fast. So, a call to Barnes today to pick their brains is where I'm at today. Thanks for all the feedback.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oil problem Gearte Midget