IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As the dust settles
8/1/22, 9:47 AM   #11
Re: As the dust settles
BrentTFunk

I was able to attend every race except Lawrenceburg. Some really big crowds. The only one I thought was down a little was Kokomo. Tuesday rain date after losing Saturday, some people just can't make it. I thought the Putnamville track crew did good at recovering the track. It was quicker than expected, as it rained for quite a while. Car counts were a little higher than I expected. I don't ever remember a car count that high on the final night. All in all, a good week.

8/1/22, 7:12 PM   #12
JarrettFarms73

Only made it to the last 3 this year. Shouts outs go to Spiker and the LPS crew for immediately and continuously running in the track during the rain delay. Not sure i’ve ever watched that many consecutive green flag laps ran in an A main without someone gettin lapped. Insane speed front to back. Almost positive 5-14 were in the turns at the same time just about the whole race.

Shout out to Roa and Seavey at Bloomington. Roa made the A from the C and Seavey went thru the B working his way as high as 6th or 7th? before going over the banking bringing out a yellow. BTW, is Cummins ever NOT fast?! #daang

Living ~ 20 minutes from Kokomo, it’s always great getting down to Haubstadt as a reminder of how lucky we are here in Hoosierland to have both of these tracks in our back yards. My brother (Moreland76) and I tell people all the time they need to get down there sometime. It never makes a liar out of us. Double shoutout to Ballou for his dominance all night.

Not sure if we were more surprised to see two deer Friday morning roaming near campus in Bloomington (2nd & Park) or to look up at Haubstadt and see the Funkmiester himself! Great talking all things racing and music with you, Brent!

8/2/22, 1:19 PM   #13
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

I have said in the past that the first thing I was going to do when I retired, was to go to Indiana Sprint Week. Well, dang it I retired as a teacher in 2016, and I still have not gone out for the week. I have thought of going to the front half or the back half because of the "split" in the middle with nothing to do during that time. After following ISW here on my computer and watching video highlights this past year, this will be my racing trip next year. I figure there has to be some minor league baseball or something like that for the off days. How much does the state charge for an out of state weekly fishing license? There is a possible solution. I am old enough to remember sprint cars with out roll bars let alone roll cages so its time to watch real race cars, I can't wait!

8/2/22, 2:53 PM   #14
cmakin

This was my 16th Sprint Week since 2006 and my 15th with camera in hand. I have to feel that this year the event car count was higher on average. It usually tapers way off by Haubstadt, but was certainly NOT the case this year. For all of the outcry from the first night, I have to say that there was no shortage of fans at the Ballou trailer after the last night of racing. A special shout out to USAC for putting on this event, and the hard work of all of their staff that goes largely unnoticed most fans. At the start of these, I keep thinking that it is my last, but now I am looking forward to 2023. Thanks to everyone that makes me feel welcome up there. It really feels like a family reunion, only better since I don't speak to much of my family. . . . still working on the Haubstadt photos, and should have them posted to my website in the next few days. Feel free to visit my site and maybe even purchase a picture or two. . or three. . .

8/2/22, 3:23 PM   #15
TQ29m

Just punch in fishing license indiana, it will tell you everything you want, and were afraid to ask 😀.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/2/22, 4:23 PM   #16
nodramazone20

I am encouraged with how much better Circle City track was this year.....While not perfect, I have hopes its even better in 2023 and is on the ISW calendar for many years.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART, racefan20
8/2/22, 6:50 PM   #17
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramazone20 View Post
I am encouraged with how much better Circle City track was this year.....While not perfect, I have hopes its even better in 2023 and is on the ISW calendar for many years.
Non sanctioned sprint car show there this Sunday

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, mlamb
8/2/22, 9:55 PM   #18
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp6237 View Post
I have said in the past that the first thing I was going to do when I retired, was to go to Indiana Sprint Week. Well, dang it I retired as a teacher in 2016, and I still have not gone out for the week. I have thought of going to the front half or the back half because of the "split" in the middle with nothing to do during that time. After following ISW here on my computer and watching video highlights this past year, this will be my racing trip next year. I figure there has to be some minor league baseball or something like that for the off days. How much does the state charge for an out of state weekly fishing license? There is a possible solution. I am old enough to remember sprint cars with out roll bars let alone roll cages so its time to watch real race cars, I can't wait!
Your post got me curious so i had to go look it up.! Haha 7 day non resident fish license is $35. Special stamp required for salmon and trout which is $11. Take note that Bloomington Speedway is on Fairfax road which will also take you straight to Fairfax State Rec Area. Maybe 6 or 7 miles down the road.

I hope you make it because you won’t regret it. Something about the week has an energy of it’s own. The drama is high but the people are awesome!!!

8/3/22, 5:19 AM   #19
Hubie48

Started the week off with a heavy heart losing my long time buddy D.O. It was with him in mind I attended four of the events. Larryburg, Kokomo, Lincoln Park and Bloomington.

Excellent racing. I think this was a high water mark for USAC racing as even KTJ seemed to get his act together towards the last three races. What a field of competitive cars and drivers. Justin Grant deserved the victory IMO. I find Justin not only very talented but well spoken. The kind of guy you would want for a neighbor. Dalton Stevens proved he belongs on the USAC grid. He drove very, very well.

It was a very memorable time and got to see many friends. Crowds were huge and well behaved. I really, really love Indiana Sprint Week.

8/4/22, 4:47 PM   #20
Moreland76

I was lucky enough to get to GC,LPS,B- town &Tri state. As always I saw good racing and met tremendous people along the way. There may not have been as much star power as in the past but it is the continuined depth of the fields is really what makes it what it is. See everyone at Smackdown.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As the dust settles