IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
7/11/19, 4:32 PM   #11
Re: Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Let POWRi take their ball and go home. Who cares? Sweet Springs will still be a fantastic show without them.

It sure won't change my plans to attend.
Check out the guy with lots of cool old cars for sale, right off I-70 just West of Sweet Springs exit. I used to drive past there twice a year & look (until this summer) but never had the $$$ to buy anything....
He has half of a 1950s Olds or Buick on his front wall....

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/19, 5:04 PM   #12
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Check out the guy with lots of cool old cars for sale, right off I-70 just West of Sweet Springs exit. I used to drive past there twice a year & look (until this summer) but never had the $$$ to buy anything....
He has half of a 1950s Olds or Buick on his front wall....
He is no longer there. I don't know what happened to his operation, but the building/lot is now empty.

7/11/19, 5:55 PM   #13
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
This is slightly off topic - but for me, as a long time open wheel fan, I would love it if a sanctioning body (like Powri) would go to an engine package that would give the working man a chance. It used to be that way when Powri started. Now if a certain team shows up with their five cars and major $ backing from a large interntational company, basically the race is over. Usually one of those cars is going to win.

I'm not a real gear head but those that are would know how to make this work. Who cares if lap times go from 12.2 to 12.9. For instance, I go to little Belleville not because of the "names" that are there, nor because the lap times are near track record. I go because of the good racing. A more level playing field and car counts will go back up

Now this is NOTHING against the big boy teams. Let them and USAC do their thing. It's also nothing against the great young talent that drive for those big teams. It doesn't matter what you put Bell or Larson in, they are going to the front. So I love the big USAC shows and will definitely attend. But I for one would welcome a strong midwestern midget series that had some kind of engine limitation to balance the field. (Same goes for Powri WAR sprint series)
The working mans Midget Series is the Badger Midgets. Davey Ray started 15th and finished 9th at the Pepsi Nationals in Sun Prairie, WI against the POWRI regulars using a Badger legal 146 CID production based Honda Midget engine with a non ported OEM cyl head, OEM crankshaft and OEM block and no ti valves or connecting rods. Davey's fastest lap was a 15.4, Logan Sevey won it with a best lap of 15.0. Engine cost is a fraction of that of a Toyota, Esslinger or SR-11. He then used the same car to win the Badger Midget feature that night passing Justin Peck with two laps to go. It was a thrilling race and many fans stated it was just as good or better than any of the features run that night.

Badger also raised their minimum weight rule to 1100lbs with driver eliminating the advantage of using titanium and carbon fiber. Badger is the best thing going in Midget racing. Other working man Midget series should consider phasing out the expensive engines and go to the Badger rules to grow their organizations for the future. Check out a concise production based engine rule book at http://www.dohcmidgetracing.com

Check out the Badger Midget feature here: https://badgerracingtv.com/7-7-19-ba...-wi-davey-ray/
Last edited by Ray3; 7/11/19 at 6:54 PM.

7/11/19, 9:15 PM   #14
Ken Bonnema

Well the USAC apologists showed up like I knew they would. Folks......POWRI had NO CHOICE on the matter.
They DID NOT pull out, they were forced out because USAC ( who HAD to know the POWRI engine rules all along ) at the last minute would not allow the extra cubic inches. This looks like the same kinda garbage that I (we/BCRA) had to put up with back when I was on the board.

http://www.powri.com/downloads/get.aspx?i=428805

To answer miledirt's post,above are the POWRI D-2 Midget rules. They already have what you want to see as does Badger and many more groups including Wayne Davis's deal down south. It's a good thing and there's more coming.

Now if you're thinking about making this the National series think about this. What that would do is DEVALUE most of the motors out there now. We would be telling people with large investments to throw their stuff out and buy something else. That's not the answer.

It happened to me in the late 90's when I was racing USAC TQ's. Along came Ford with their money and we were out. My car went from a 9k piece to $4500.00 overnight. Fast forward to when Ford went away and Honda came in the same thing happened. Thanks for your participation and although you're legal to run you now have no chance. Of course that failed miserably. Most of us , i'm sure remember the gold crown fiasco when they told all their Silver Crown Owners to junk their equipment. WE know how THAT turned out.The one common thread here is USAC not caring about peoples investment.

There is no such thing as a working mans midget division.The person making $14 per hr could maybe afford a 4 banger unless the spouse is working and on board. All the D-2 midget divisions are a good thing. POWRI allows chain driven midgets and I know ,while not D-2 Montpieller does also. The guy ahead of the curve IMHO is Wayne Davis who allows (or did?) older national motors to run. If a person can go buy an ols Fontana or the like for around 6k that seems to make sense to me.

6 members like this post: Emd645e6, KMS2683, luckybuc97, skids59, tirespinner, trackprep
7/11/19, 9:52 PM   #15
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bonnema View Post
Well the USAC apologists showed up like I knew they would. Folks......POWRI had NO CHOICE on the matter.
They DID NOT pull out, they were forced out because USAC ( who HAD to know the POWRI engine rules all along ) at the last minute would not allow the extra cubic inches...….. .
So who in the POWRi top ten in points has one of these motors? Who in the top twenty have one of these motors? They walked away from the race because of maybe 3 or 4 cars that would not have been legal, and those are the same cars that we would have watched race in the B main and probably not transfer.

2 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
7/11/19, 10:45 PM   #16
duel

USAC is still the big dog after all these years. Not that hard to figure out. Powri would just as soon they went away. Well documented. usac formed by Tony Hulman in 1955 and still going. Racing ********. I have not always agreed with usac either but hey...

5 members like this post: flagboy55, opnwhlmnd, Pat O'Connor Fan, tamati, tirespinner
7/12/19, 12:30 AM   #17
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
So who in the POWRi top ten in points has one of these motors? Who in the top twenty have one of these motors? They walked away from the race because of maybe 3 or 4 cars that would not have been legal, and those are the same cars that we would have watched race in the B main and probably not transfer.
This whole thing has NOTHING to do with motors guys..

7/12/19, 12:34 AM   #18
Ken Bonnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Neither of us has a clue to the question as to how many cars are affected You say probably 3 or 4 cars affected but we don't know that. You say that they are likely b main cars but we don't know that now do we? It's obvious that you could care less about them. What you're saying is they just need to stay home.

How would YOU feel if after putting 10's of thousands of dollars into this sport and being told that YOUR motor is legal then because another sanction body deems it you can't run?? BET you would be screaming from the high heavens.......and I would not blame you a bit.

The back markers and B Main runners are THE HEART AND SOUL OF OUR SPORT!!!!!!
if they all go away you'll be left with very small fields. Feel free to check out some of the USAC shows on the west coast (both Midget and Sprint) regarding car counts. It could happen here...

One more time. USAC KNEW LONG AGO ABOUT POWRI ENGINE RULES BUT WAITED UNTIL 4 DAYS BEFORE THE RACE TO NOT ALLOW THEM TO COMPETE.

How in the world is that POWRI's fault??

Obytheway, if as you say that the only cars affected are b main cars....WHAT THE HELL IS USAC WORRIED ABOUT???? Can ya answer THAT one??

******** in racing and in life are the same. You can show people the truth and they will just spin it another way.

Here's some Monty Python for ya. Where art imitates life.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZw3...?v=vZw35VUBdzo

The parrot is not resting.................
Last edited by Ken Bonnema; 7/12/19 at 12:36 AM.

7/12/19, 6:45 AM   #19
Ken Bonnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
This whole thing has NOTHING to do with motors guys..
Not completely surprised. Lots of things go bump in the night with these deals.

7/12/19, 8:10 PM   #20
oldfan49

Have to say I am curious as to why the reason is then?

5 members like this post: erich45, jdull99, Ken Bonnema, PIT CART, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC