IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2
8/21/14, 10:01 PM   #61
Re: Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2
DAD

Ken

Here you go.

Duratec 30
The Ford Duratec 30 Engine in a Mercury Sable.

The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 3.8 L (230 cu in) Essex V6 in the up-market versions of the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable. It has 2,967 cc (181 cu in) of displacement and produces between 200 hp (150 kW) and 240 hp (180 kW). With an aluminum block and cylinder heads, it is the same basic engine used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda 6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 89 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford Motor Company's Cleveland Engine #2 plant in Cleveland, Ohio. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland #1 plant in 2004.

There are two key versions of the first-generation Duratec 30:

DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 rpm with 220 lb·ft (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.
RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 rpm with 207 lb·ft (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.

Variable Cam Timing

The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 using variable valve timing. The engine has an output of 221 hp (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 lb·ft (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.

The final major revision of the Duratec 30 was seen on the 2009 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner small SUVs. Cam-torque-actuated iVCT was introduced in this version along with better breathing heads. The result is a bump from the previous version's 223 bhp (166 kW; 226 PS) to 240 hp (180 kW) at 6550 rpm. The newly refreshed engine made its way into the redesigned Ford Fusion as the optional base V6, and the Mercury Milan as the only V6 for the 2010 model redesign.
Replacement

The 3.0L delivered ample power in the midsize sedan segment, however the Fusion later received the Duratec 35 V6 as a top-tier "Sport" option to remain competitive with larger V6 offerings in the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. The Duratec 30 remained as a step up from the base I4 in the Fusion, but the Milan kept the 3.0L as its sole V6 until it was discontinued for the 2011 model year. The 3.0L Has the potential to deliver more power, but it is believed to be nearing the end of its development; Ford will begin to phase it out in favor of newer engine lines. The Duratec 30 will be dropped as the higher-end powerplant in the 2013 Escape in favor of the 2.0L EcoBoost I4, which produces similar power, more torque, and better fuel economy. As shown in the 2013 Ford Fusion, the Duratec 30 will also be replaced by the EcoBoost 2.0L. It is unlikely that another revision of the engine will appear in any future Ford vehicles, and will be replaced by the EcoBoost 2.0L I4, and Cyclone 35 V6. The original version of the engine without iVCT is available as a crate engine from Ford Power Products, producing 232 bhp (173 kW; 235 PS).
Other applications

A Twin-turbocharged version of this engine is used in the Noble M400, a British sports car. The engine is rebuilt and tuned to a max power of 425 bhp (317 kW) at 6500 rpm, with a torque figure of 390 lb·ft (529 N·m) at 5000 rpm. Noble has used forged pistons, an oil cooler, a larger baffled oil sump and extra cooling ducts to maintain its durability. 29 L/100 km (8.1 mpg-US)

A racing version of this engine exists and is used on mini prototypes like the Juno SS3 V6. It is a 3.0-liter naturally aspirated non variable timing engines producing between 350 and 400 horsepower with a red line of around 8700 rpm. The engine has a 40 hour racing life span before it needs to be rebuilt with rings and bearings, and has proven very reliable and competitive. The engine has a Jaguar badge, and is branded as a Jaguar 3.0-liter V6 since it is built and mostly sold in the U.K

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/21/14 at 10:30 PM.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
8/22/14, 10:31 AM   #62
Ken Bonnema

Dad, Seems like some good base numbers. What are you gonna use for induction? Here's a little true story. Back about 1980 I was racing a Supermodified on the dirt at San Jose. Back then, you could run gas or Alky and I was on gas but needed more. My then Motor Builder the Late Don Canepa took an 850 double Pumper and converted it to run Alky as I couldn't afford injection. It was I'm sure one of the first efforts of that kind and the Motor was an L-T1 350 with about 11:1 Comp. We couldn't get it to run good so I pulled the jets and then, believe it or not both power valves,which turned it in to a toilet, Now we are too rich but Don knew an old school trick. He told me to advance the timing until it ran good. Sure enough it woke that ol' dog up and I became competive at the front of the semi main which is pretty good considering that it was a C race car before. The upshot is that when we checked the timing we found that we had cranked.....55 DEGREES (really) in. That's where I learned that more Fuel and advance = Cheap horsepower. Obviously, If I had more compression the thing would have blown itself apart. Just some food for thought............Ken
Last edited by Ken Bonnema; 8/22/14 at 10:32 AM.

8/22/14, 11:42 AM   #63
TQ29m

Ken, I've been doing some R&D testing with a couple of ignition builders, and you are correct, more fuel, more advance, one manufacturer I've been working with told me on the bench, he's seen as much as 65 degrees, and still no problems, but this requires a different advance, he has 4 programed in, I am now running in the 45-50 degree range, and the power follows it up, we've not been able to get out much this season, but I think you're right, the old "limits" on advance are being blown away, the one I'm working with now is a mechanical advance, and I have a starter on my motor, I am now at the point where I just advance it till it kicks back a little on the starter, then back it down a degree or 2, so it's in the 45-50 degree range, when the mechanical is all the way advanced, just waiting now for the weather to cut us some slack, and one of my drivers can make time to take a Sat off, but it is there, more then anxious to try it! Bob

8/22/14, 12:04 PM   #64
TQ29m

DAD, I have a 2008 Fusion, SEL, with the 3.0 V6, the 3.5 was available that year also, and I almost opted for it, but didn't. The 3.0 is plenty, and gets better mileage than the 4cyl. It is a nice engine, a stomp on the pedal at a stoplite only produces a lot of tire smoke, but with the 6spd automagic, just ease into it, till it collects 2nd gear, then step on it, it really likes to show off then, it is a really fun car to drive, tilt and telescope, black leather, just sit way back, and enjoy! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/22/14, 5:25 PM   #65
DAD

Bob and Ken

These would be conservative manufacture numbers with smog pumps, cat converters stock cast iron manifolds on reg pump gas with a little bitty throttle body. They talked about 400HP race motors and my guess is that they would still be in a pretty mild state of tune compared to a circle track motor.

How many races can you run in 40 hours of track time before you ring and bearing it?? They didn't say anything about valves and springs the week link in to-days Midget Motors. How much over 400 Horse Power would one of these motors need to be competitive against a Modern 50 year old Midget motor built today??

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/22/14 at 5:27 PM.

8/23/14, 6:14 AM   #66
Ken Bonnema

Bob and Dad, Thought you would appreciate this guy. He's another Mad Scientist and his name is Dan Bernard. He built some really fast motors BITD at San Jose, winning many races including the Johnny Key Memorial (Tony Ringo). He has perfected a system for OHV motors that eliminates rocker arms. It's a machined aluminum block that bolts where the rocker arm used to. There is a small oil pressure driven piston in the block right over the valve that opens it. No pushrods,lifters and I am assuming cam although he wouldn't tell me that but I would see no reason for one.The obvious trick was to get the valve timing right and he spent well over 20 years of his life doing so. With this system, it will be possible to run lifts/ratios that are impossible to do with rocker arms plus of course, far less friction. When I last saw Dan (2010) he had two running engines: an SBC and a Harley Davidson. I saw both of 'em run and with the valve covers off, it was a really strange sight. At that time, he was talking with multiple car mfg's about buying the patent. I'm sure the Cam Grinders won't like this but neither did the Buggy Whip guys like the Automobile. Coming soon to a Theater near you...........
Last edited by Ken Bonnema; 8/23/14 at 7:05 AM.

8/23/14, 7:43 AM   #67
DAD

Ken

Sounds intriguing. Kinda of hard to believe he can get hydraulics flowing enough volume to open and close them valves at high RPM's. I could envision a spool valves doing the job but just not fast enough. The Formula I guys are using Pneumatic valve springs to achieve their RPM's up close to 20,000 + on their little engines but require some very close machine work to accomplish the deed.

Bob mentions the 3500cc motor that was an option on his car. That is the same engine with a bigger bore. This little engines is designed with a split crankcase with main bearings in both sides of the crankcase (Girdle Design). These motors are also cast with permanent molds, that makes them both strong and light as opposed to the sand castings used on todays "modern" Midget Race Engine. They really should have the potential to make an economical and very competitive stock block Midget Motor.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/23/14 at 8:22 AM.

8/24/14, 6:55 PM   #68
sday27

i had thought about this idea about 4 or 5 years ago , people thought i was nuts (mainly my son), i was thinking on starting a series with 3.0 or 3.5 but also include all makes ford, hondas , mopar,and chevy , run the v6 as a class and have a 2.5 class with the same specs what mel kenyon had for his midget class .

8/24/14, 9:39 PM   #69
DAD

sday

It would be nice to come up with several people interested in building some of these motors. The big deal would be injectors because I don't think any are available now, and it would be a lot cheaper to order 4 or 5 the first order.

The other motors for the most part all use finger type valve lifters like the Esslinger does and to me these things are week links. Yeh I know BMW is using finger followers on their new 1000cc motorcycle motors but we ain't been beat by one of them things yet.

Honest Dad himself

8/25/14, 12:13 AM   #70
sday27

when i started looking into them (3.0 & 3.5) i believe there is a place overseas that has a injection manifold for 3.0 theres also a guy in canada he does a lot the 3.8 and older 3.0 ,but there is another place in the uk that has stuff for the duratecs 2.0 2.3 4 fly and 3.0 v6 but i forget what site it was , i have been wanting to get a pole barn built so i can get some cnc mills and a tig wielder so i can do somethings of my own.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2