IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Sprint Nationals
8/4/13, 4:25 AM   #61
Re: Hoosier Sprint Nationals
racephoto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amontgomery View Post
Kyle was not taken out by a lapped car. It was miscommunication between kyle and Mattox. The two motioned back and forth that the 28 would go to the bottom to allow kyle by but unfortunatly it did go quite as planned.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd say the not quite as planned is one of the biggest understatements I've seen all year. The miscommunication almost got Stanbrough too. It was a damn good show, and KT and Chase battled to the end. Chase actually had the lead in 3 and 4, but he was under KT, and couldn't make the car stick enough on the bottom to seal the deal.

Also great decision by KT's crew to haul from Belville to Tri State. It paid off.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, Rpracing1
8/4/13, 10:11 AM   #62
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
I'd say the not quite as planned is one of the biggest understatements I've seen all year. The miscommunication almost got Stanbrough too. It was a damn good show, and KT and Chase battled to the end. Chase actually had the lead in 3 and 4, but he was under KT, and couldn't make the car stick enough on the bottom to seal the deal.

Also great decision by KT's crew to haul from Belville to Tri State. It paid off.
And it took Wes Mac out of contention, too. He had no choice but to stop. Otherwise he would have gotten collected, too. Him and Hunter battling each other, as they were coming back up through the field was fun to watch, though.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/4/13 at 10:14 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racephoto1
8/4/13, 2:36 PM   #63
Ch138

It was a great race I brought 3 little ones with me and I'll tell ya sprint car racing has 3 new fans and after the race we went in the pits and cought up with chase stockon what a class act he was great with the kids they even got to sit in his car lets just say he made 3 kids happy and we all got his shirts

Posted via Mobile Device

8/4/13, 4:09 PM   #64
miledirt

Curiously, what time did sprint feature start and end? Pevely WoO feature didn't even start til after midnight

Posted via Mobile Device

8/4/13, 4:15 PM   #65
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Curiously, what time did sprint feature start and end? Pevely WoO feature didn't even start til after midnight

Posted via Mobile Device
Sprint feat over at approx 9:30 local time

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
8/4/13, 5:52 PM   #66
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Sounds like we missed a good one. I just cant justify a 3 & 1/2 hour trip uncertain weather and fuel/lodging costs for 1 show.
The way they work & groom this track I wish they would do an un-conflicted double date. (hint .. hint)
This would work now in September since Bloomington is dark.
I always looked forward to the 2nd weekend in September & hitting the Friday MSCS show at Btown & then going on down for Saturday's $10 grand at TSS.

Posted via Mobile Device
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/4/13, 8:30 PM   #67
Morgan7m

I agree, the miscommunication between Mattox and Cummins is an “understatement”. Looks to me like Cummins was too nice and took for granted his communication on the yellow with Mattox was good enough. We all saw that it unfortunately wasn’t.

When Cummins thinks about it now, he probably regrets not giving a “hand signaling butt chewing” on the yellow, before getting knocked out by him. Because if we think about it, Mattox was running the low to middle groove on both ends of the track until about 3 laps before the yellow. Mattox gets the lay-over flag a few laps in a row (probably 3 laps or more) and KTjr and Stockon absolutely fly past him on the rim with Cummins in very close pursuit of Stockon. What happened?? Mattox decides to move up in the way and run the rim while getting the lay-over flag over and over holding up Cummins and putting him in a position to either risk his spot and car with a slide-job on Mattox or wait until Mattox makes a mistake which will happen.

The yellow comes out and I bet whoever was running the receiver communication to the drivers wished they would have reminded the drivers what the lay-over flag meant because Mattox sure wasn’t heeding to it.

In my opinion, Mattox was owed a personal tutoring class in communication after the race by Cummins and possibly Stanbrough and Wes Mac. When a lapped car knocks out a potential contender for the win because of poor race ethics, is sad and uncalled for. When you’re that much slower than the leaders and getting lapped before the halfway point, it’s time to stay out of their way instead of moving up in between them.

Another fantastic race night at haubstadt. Thanks again, Tommy and Team.

Just my opinion.
Ray Morgan

8/4/13, 11:11 PM   #68
racephoto1

Ray,

I talked to Kyle and Brandon after the race, while they were discussing the matter. They both knew what was going on,and had planned for Brandon to come down on the restart. The only problem was the Brandon didn't come down as soon as Kyle had expected. About the time Brandon started coming down, Kyle decided to dive under him. It truly was just one of those racing deals.

4 members like this post: amontgomery, gentry26x, jim goerge
8/5/13, 8:43 AM   #69
Morgan7m

I understand, but I have been a lapped driver and also lapped many drivers during my career as a driver. Mattox should know that if the decision was made (Cummins tells him to go low) that Mattox starts out lower than normal coming out of 4 on the restart and is only midway up the track going down the straightaway and then runs the infield tires all the way through 1 and 2 and run lower down the back straight. Mattox had no possibly way of improving his postition at this time so respect should have been given to allow the much faster guys a clear chance. Where mattox was running on the track before and when he was lapped by KTjr and Stockon were clear and clean passes then again, moving up into the fast lane while getting the lay-over flag over and over. We both have seen and can imaging if it were Jack Hewitt that was crashed out rather than Cummins.

8/5/13, 10:22 AM   #70
amontgomery

Just seems to me you would talk to one or more of the drivers involved in the situation before you go on with your know it all because you seen it from the stands attitude. I for one was standing there when kyle approached brandon after the race apologizing for the incident. Brandon asked kyle where he wanted him to go, kyle said low so he did. The two of them have no hard feelings and neither should you.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Sprint Nationals