IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule
2/16/21, 2:46 PM   #1
Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule
LindaKMansfield

Seven Indiana Sprint Car Tracks
Unite to Modify Hoosier Tire Rule

HAUBSTADT, Ind., Feb. 16 – To discourage the need for the chemical altering of tires and to keep the competition as equal as possible, seven Indiana sprint car tracks have mutually agreed to modify their respective track tire rules for the 2021 season.

After careful consideration, the promoters agreed to allow an additional right-rear tire to be used by their 410 non-wing sprint car competitors. The tire choices will be the Hoosier 105/16.0-15 medium or the recently approved Hoosier H15 softer compound tire.

The group of dirt tracks includes Bloomington Speedway, Gas City I-69 Speedway, Kokomo Speedway, Lawrenceburg Speedway, Lincoln Park Speedway in Putnamville, Paragon Speedway, and Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt.

The Midwest Sprint Car Series (MSCS) will also adopt the same rule for 2021.

“We feel this is an opportunity for teams to choose a tire that is more suitable for the various track conditions they encounter throughout the season,” said Tom Helfrich, promoter of Tri-State Speedway and president of MSCS. “All seven tracks involved have a little different character to them in regards to track surfaces.”

Kokomo Speedway promoter Reece O’Connor said the group also considered the economic upside to adding the Hoosier H15 as an option.

“I strongly feel the addition of the H15 is a cost-effective alternative to adding or enhancing the current $3,000-to-$4,000 shock packages many teams are utilizing,” O’Connor said. “This gives the lower-budget teams a better opportunity to compete on a more level playing field. Bolting on a $200 right-rear tire is a lot cheaper than the further development and increased expense of shock technology, $1,600 tire bleeder systems, and other handling technology that’s taking place. I also think you’re going to see less dust, better track conditions, and a higher level of close, competitive racing that our fans deserve.”

Currently the USAC national midget series offers the same two tire compound choices, while the Hoosier H15 is common in World of Outlaws and All Star Circuit of Champions competition.

2/16/21, 4:18 PM   #2
wideopen24

“Currently the USAC national midget series offers the same two tire compound choices”

Not sure what USAC midgets tires have to do with local Sprintcar tire rules but USAC’s rules are the following, unless they have also changed?

-USAC Midgets-
D. National Midget Tires (LF- D12, D15) (RF-D12, D15, D20) (LR-D12, D20) (RR-SP2, SP3)

-USAC Sprintcars-
309 Tires
A. Hoosier 105/16-15 MEDIUM, 105/18- Hard and F-85A are the only approved right rear tires.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/16/21, 4:35 PM   #3
Re: Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule
TBarks

So they're saying high dollar shocks and bleeders won't be an advantage with an H15 RR. I guess someone should tell the wing guys they're wasting a lot of money on them....

2/16/21, 5:15 PM   #4
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaKMansfield View Post
[CENTER][B]

Kokomo Speedway promoter Reece O’Connor said the group also considered the economic upside to adding the Hoosier H15 as an option.

“I strongly feel the addition of the H15 is a cost-effective alternative to adding or enhancing the current $3,000-to-$4,000 shock packages many teams are utilizing,” O’Connor said. “This gives the lower-budget teams a better opportunity to compete on a more level playing field. Bolting on a $200 right-rear tire is a lot cheaper than the further development and increased expense of shock technology, $1,600 tire bleeder systems, and other handling technology that’s taking place. I also think you’re going to see less dust, better track conditions, and a higher level of close, competitive racing that our fans deserve.”
The big guys are not going to stop spending money, PERIOD! They are going to continue shock development. The big dogs put on a new tire every race. If you want to beat them the little guy has to do the same thing. NO MONEY SAVED. Now you have to buy an additional tire that wears out quicker. The only guy who wins is the tire guy (HOOSIER). They're still going to dope tires.

2/16/21, 6:12 PM   #5
Kendall2020

The article also says this will reduce the temptation of doping,lol. This article is full of contradictions. So whats the real reason? Although this tire cures all, including
track prep. I think I'll hold on to my CSI's and good bleeders.

2/16/21, 7:32 PM   #6
Spi-nex

When I was soaking tires in the Modifieds we never soaked a new tire, it was always to breath life into an old wore out tire to squeak by another week. It did wonders for hand-me-downs that had been a little over heated by their previous owners.

4 members like this post: 3R, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
2/16/21, 7:38 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Okay. I'll bite:

I understand what they are trying to accomplish. How does an open tire rule not accomplish the same thing?

2/16/21, 8:55 PM   #8
jim goerge

I don"t think this rule will stop the high dollar teams from spending money on shocks, or putting on new tires for every race. I think the big teams will still dope the tires and take the chance of not getting caught. I think the only winner with this rule will be Hoosier Tire.

2/16/21, 9:55 PM   #9
kbbodine

How about adding this rule "f" from the World of Outlaws rule book. The same rule applies to the All Star series. This would help level the playing field for non wing racing at all levels, my opinion.

f) During all race nights the same marked right rear tire used in qualifying must be used throughout the Heat(s)
and the A-Main.

2/17/21, 12:08 AM   #10
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbodine View Post
How about adding this rule "f" from the World of Outlaws rule book. The same rule applies to the All Star series. This would help level the playing field for non wing racing at all levels, my opinion.

f) During all race nights the same marked right rear tire used in qualifying must be used throughout the Heat(s)
and the A-Main.
The downfall of this rule is basically you have to buy a new tire every night. Agree top teams will buy new tires every night. A lot of budget guys are buying used tires and will run the best tires they have and maybe strap a new one on if starting up front.

I just don’t see how going to a softer tire helps at all. To bad you don’t see any of that Hoosier money going into the nightly purse.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule