IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's your take on this Robert Ballou rant?
5/4/22, 9:12 PM   #11
Re: What's your take on this Robert Ballou rant?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

OK here goes pt 1. When am i going to get paid for any of my thoroughly thought out and sometimes non factual diatribes? I mean I sure hear about it when I'm wrong (Which I own up too when facts are presented) I've had readers from around the world and sometimes at sprint week or midget week will meet some of them. (Always glad too)

I mean I've given it fourteen years of good stuff (Or total crap) here! Not one dime, Not one go fund me cent. Sheesh.

Maybe because somewhere fourteen years ago, That's the terms I agreed too. No wait. Sixteen years because it was USACfans before the changeover. Well I have gotten a few things, A few beers, Some great friends (Some no longer with us) A lot of great racing tips and advice to tracks I had never been too. Pre race bench racing for hours before a race with friends and some frolics and after race gatherings afterwards, That's priceless in my book.

End of pt. 1, There can be no gripe because by booking the event under the contract you agreed too. The outcome is what it is.
Robert has every right to his opinion and I don't disagree with all of it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/4/22 at 9:20 PM.

3 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, nathans1012, PIT CART
5/4/22, 10:05 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Pt2. (Terre Haute)

There were several things, Mainly a Sunday night that could contribute to a lower than expected turnout. Champ Cars? Compared to sprints and midgets, just how well known are they? A track that had been let run down for years and some gave up on. A confusing cooler policy. No smoking. (Trust me I get it) But I think it's the only track in the state. and nostalgia, nothing was more nostalgic than a bunch of old race fans at the top of the main grandstand at THAT in bowler hats and smoking stogies)

Flo. I have no idea what they're paying per event. heck half the sports channels they carry are non paying sports so those subscribers keep the cost down for everyone. That being said. If I log into flo racing, There isn't any mention of any of the other sports they offer. They need to fix that. Like other sports, check out flo hockey and vice versa on flo hockey for flo racing.

What I have seen is tracks I had never visited that I now do want too. A rejuvenated Terre Haute that I now want to get back too after being dusted out six sprint weeks ago (Could only see cars in front of the bleachers by end of the race) I've seen races with no fans that paid big money. Ive seen races at biggest crowd we've had in ten years and a huge viewership. And Generally I've seen bigger than average crowds a all the tracks I've been to that Flo has covered with USAC and All Stars. There are exceptions. Iffy weather. school and work night etc.

Give it a chance, Im sure thousands seen Terre Haute for the first time and those that had been got to see it showcased with new white guardrails and well lit (You couldn't even see turn two before the new lights from the bleachers) Hardly a lick of dust that I could see, just rooster tails. I bet a lot will want to come back who wrote it off)

Some I've seen said it wasn't poorly attended, No not a big crowd. I went to a spring fling once and wondered where the normal THAT Crowd was. It too was a Sunday night.

Tshirt sales? Im sure thousands seen that race that never seen you before. Advertise the online store!

I think Flo could do several things better (Like advertising the next and other races during their broadcast instead of multi repeated commercials by sponsors (Which is needed too) They could spread it around a little more instead of just big LM races. I seen Brian Brown and others asking when we were going to get a FLORacing night in America for sprint cars. Have em in all top divisions.

Give it a chance. I sure appreciate the hard work that's been done, I also appreciate being able to see it when I can't get there in person.

End of Pt. 2
Nothing I've said here is a criticism and if taken so, meant to be constructive.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, cornerthree, Ken Bonnema, nathans1012, Oleman61x
5/4/22, 10:53 PM   #13
interpreter66

From my perspective I don’t live close enough to attend a lot of these events, however when they come to Florida I am at everyone of them live, and when I head north in a about two weeks I will be at every one of those live. I do not have flo but if I did it sure wouldn’t determine if I went to a show or not if it was near me, Live racing will always win out!

5/5/22, 12:14 AM   #14
flagboy55

Charles, you said a mouthful and I agree with most of it. Now I’m not the only one who has said it but I’ll reiterate. Flo and other streaming platforms give me access to race tracks and racing I’m never going to go to anyway as well as some, maybe geographically more friendly that I might now consider. Here’s something that is a fact and I think is some of what they’re selling to potential advertisers on Flo. They have the capability to show regional adds on their show. I’ll give you an example. The local independent supermarket chain in my neck of the woods is called Strack & VanTils. I actually saw an add for them on Flo last year. I already shop there most of the time, but seeing that ad on my favorite broadcast reminds me to go there more often. Another example of what’s good with Flo, is I’ve found out California wing racing is the next best thing to Indiana wingless. Usually gnarly cushions and elbows up. I would’ve never been able to know that without traveling from Indiana to California. Well I could watch YouTube on it but I don’t do that much. And guess what, I’ve seen sponsors on California cars that made me look them up to see if it’s something I might want shipped to me. So as everyone else has said, and I wholeheartedly agree, you don’t beat the at track experience, but the stream has opened a lot of eyes to things that some might never have seen.

5/5/22, 12:48 AM   #15
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Charles, you said a mouthful and I agree with most of it. Now I’m not the only one who has said it but I’ll reiterate. Flo and other streaming platforms give me access to race tracks and racing I’m never going to go to anyway as well as some, maybe geographically more friendly that I might now consider. Here’s something that is a fact and I think is some of what they’re selling to potential advertisers on Flo. They have the capability to show regional adds on their show. I’ll give you an example. The local independent supermarket chain in my neck of the woods is called Strack & VanTils. I actually saw an add for them on Flo last year. I already shop there most of the time, but seeing that ad on my favorite broadcast reminds me to go there more often. Another example of what’s good with Flo, is I’ve found out California wing racing is the next best thing to Indiana wingless. Usually gnarly cushions and elbows up. I would’ve never been able to know that without traveling from Indiana to California. Well I could watch YouTube on it but I don’t do that much. And guess what, I’ve seen sponsors on California cars that made me look them up to see if it’s something I might want shipped to me. So as everyone else has said, and I wholeheartedly agree, you don’t beat the at track experience, but the stream has opened a lot of eyes to things that some might never have seen.
I agree on the California races. Many times I have spent the evening at Lincoln Park and made it home in time to see most of the California races. And Late Models I would have never thought that I would enjoy watching them but it motivated me to go to Circle City last year when Hell Tour and WoO Late models were there. That being said I would imagine since Robert works for one of the new promoters of THAT he might be privy to how the transaction between streaming services and tracks works.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, nathans1012
5/5/22, 12:55 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Of course it was Kyle Larson racing, But a couple weeks ago, that track that had that flo night in americium had the roads all around the track backed up for hours to get in. Don't know if Flo, Dirt on Dirt, Kyle leased the track or what. but they had a huge crowd, huge purse and im sure the concessions alone were a huge take over the lease agreement.. Does their have to be some kinda celebrity involved to get this kinda events? Like were say in other post, Put on demo derbys and monster trucks you could sell out three times over.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
5/5/22, 2:05 AM   #17
flagboy55

I posted on another thread about the Larson race. The promoter was on a podcast and said Flo did everything they said they would do. If you enter into an agreement with someone and they live up to their agreement, you can’t blame them. Maybe I’m wrong?

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
5/5/22, 8:09 AM   #18
Augie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Of course it was Kyle Larson racing, But a couple weeks ago, that track that had that flo night in americium had the roads all around the track backed up for hours to get in. Don't know if Flo, Dirt on Dirt, Kyle leased the track or what. but they had a huge crowd, huge purse and im sure the concessions alone were a huge take over the lease agreement.. Does their have to be some kinda celebrity involved to get this kinda events? Like were say in other post, Put on demo derbys and monster trucks you could sell out three times over.

And the track(Bulls Gap) announced the next week they were shutting down because they lost money.

5/5/22, 9:03 AM   #19
opnwhlmnd

Flo, Dirtvision, etc are the 70s, 80s, 90s National Speed Sport News without waiting a week and looking at pictures from a race along with a reporters story. Chris Economaki must be turning over in his grave.

With the runaway inflation we are seeing and costs soring the streaming services will most likely halt a few Indiana trips for me. First time in years I haven't taken a few days off for midget week and am choosing to go back to Huset's instead of both like last year. I can pay my yearly subscriptions for Flo and Dirtvision for what I would spend going to midget week.

So to sum up yes the streaming services along with government decisions are keeping me home more instead of a race track most every weekend.

2 members like this post: Oleman61x, oppweld
5/5/22, 9:16 AM   #20
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
And the track(Bulls Gap) announced the next week they were shutting down because they lost money.
Did you listen to the podcast? Wasn't my take on it at all (That they lost money on the event) But that the track needed more $$$ than they have or are willing to put in to it. to bring everything up to code.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/5/22 at 9:30 AM.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, cornerthree, luckybuc97, oppweld, Will Shunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's your take on this Robert Ballou rant?