IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks T-Mez
2/19/22, 12:35 PM   #11
Re: Thanks T-Mez
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealether View Post
Volusia and Easy Bay are a rather short drive from Ocala, and Volusia is closer to the hub of Speedweeks activity in Daytona. Hell, Daytona has a 1/4 mile flat track on site
With Volusia now owned by World Racing Group (parent company of World of Outlaws and Xtreme Outlaw Series) it is highly unlikely they will schedule USAC. East Bay closes permanently after their 2023 races, so while USAC could run there next year, it would be a one and done deal.

Bubba Raceway Park is certainly not a 1st class facility. I pretty much agree with T-Mez’ statement on that. BUT it IS racing in February in more comfortable temperatures when most of the Midwest is shivering.

2/19/22, 12:47 PM   #12
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Seems to get some pretty good rides. Might have a little to do with his talent behind the wheel. Some people lately are into honesty instead of being fed a corporate line. Honesty/whining whatever you wish to call it. Let’s hope for no more rain and a decent surface for these guys. I did not watch the practice nite but guys were saying it was decent then so ��.
Last I saw the track was the same for everyone. A lot of people on here complain that races don't pay enough, does this help or hurt the cause? I only watched on TV, the track was heavy and hard to pass, but did I miss something. I watched an Outlaw race last year from Jacksonville. The track was the wettest, and roughest track I have ever seen them run on. Brad Sweet in an interview called it an old school wet rough short track. What exactly was wrong with the track, other than it was heavy? I like Thomas, and at times he is great on a mic. Last night was not one of them.
I remember a couple of years ago a guy won at Haubstadt and made a comment about the track. The same people praising last night, blasted him.

2/19/22, 1:03 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Not a fan of Ocala, wouldn't mind seeing them running at Milton Fl near Pensacola. Looks pretty racy from the videos i've seen.
I don't think it has the capacity to pay the purse, and make money. Especially a night like tonight that is paying $10,000 to win. Plus the Panhandle can be pretty cold this time of year, not that Ocala can't be. If you wait any longer we will be racing up here.

1 member likes this post: duel
2/19/22, 1:11 PM   #14
Therealether

WRG has owned Volusia since '05 and they do let the other series, such as the All Stars race there just before their own series. So its definitely doable. Hell, even co-sanction with the Xtreme Outlaw series.
If they're going to continue to run in Ocala I think they need to run the midgets and sprints on the same nights. Give more bang for the buck. I'd even throw in the Silver Crown cars at New Smyrna on the pavement and give all 3 series a February opening

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
2/19/22, 2:24 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Yeah, Tony Stewart and Lawrenceburg got butt hurt. Believe Kokomo as well over his Twitter remarks and rock collection.

Tmez tends to say whats on his mind and it's gotten in trouble. lost rides etc before. But also Love many of his interviews (Im twice as old as some of these kids, but look who won") type thing

Don't know what he said this time. I'll go thru flow and see it they have interviews.

The deal with Ballou was he was pretty much bashing promoters, Accusing them of trying to kill someone etc. Don't know if he deserved suspension but you keep doing that stuff that track is not going ot have that series come back after so many times of that. On top of that it was at tracks he podium ed from deep (So how bad was the track in reality when you passed ten cars) Robert is analogical. I get that. Love his determination and always the first guy to say hi in the pits.

Racing's been full of characters since long before I was around. Without some of them. I wouldn't say it would be boring, but certainly the love em, hate em or love to hate em aspect has a big roll in it and you get that this way.

Watched Steve and Karl flip off the boo birds off many times while holding the big check and they came back to watch em every time they ran.

3 members like this post: Blitzman, Boss Hogg, oppweld
2/19/22, 2:32 PM   #16
interpreter66

Funny how things change t-mez loved the track last week when he was running the midget lol

8 members like this post: 1021gpa, BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, duel, erich45, jonboat15, PIT CART, tirespinner
2/19/22, 4:37 PM   #17
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Not a fan of Ocala, wouldn't mind seeing them running at Milton Fl near Pensacola. Looks pretty racy from the videos i've seen.
Southern Raceway in Milton, FL. They were supposed to have a race last night but it was cancelled due to a power outage at the track. I’m sure that would have gone over well if they had a USAC race scheduled.

All Tech Raceway is just north of Ocala. It hosts the Lucas Oil Late Models and big block modifieds. Many in the late model world think All Tech will take some additional races to fill the void left by East Bay if it really does close. I don’t think All Tech hosted many national tours like the Lucas Oil Series until the last few years when the East Bay concerns started to grow.

North Florida Speedway is also just north of Ocala and only a few miles from All Tech. It has a better configuration than Bubba Raceway, but it would need some significant upgrades to host a national touring series. If they would make the investment in North Florida, there is definitely an opportunity to host bigger races and make some good money. Easier said than done, but if East Bay really does close the events are there for the taking.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
2/19/22, 5:27 PM   #18
revjimk

I couldn't help but laugh!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/19/22, 10:29 PM   #19
duel

Great racing tonight. Made the 1st one and the last 2 yrs. Kicking myself for not going this year. I like the place and like Tmez.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Chief Wahoo, oppweld, tirespinner
2/20/22, 1:52 AM   #20
captrat

Born and bred Hoosier who moved to FL in 1984. I can assure you that anything north of Tampa in February is dicey on winter temps. Too bad Punta Gorda is pavement.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks T-Mez