IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints VS. 305 Sprints
8/6/18, 1:53 PM   #1
Lightning Sprints VS. 305 Sprints
AaronD

After a while of going through reading a lot of old posts (4-5 years old) I wanted to get some updated opinions as things have progressed. I am very interested in getting into one of these types of sprint car racing. Can anybody provide input on this topic? Has anybody went from mini/Lightning sprints into a 305? Would you have done the 305 route first, (were you spending the same money in Lightning sprints as the 305 class)?? or feel the mini sprint is the way to go? I will be racing around Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. I am just looking for input and advice as to where money would be best spent. It seems as if the 305 is growing? I feel like you can buy into either one at somewhat close of cost but I figured what you'd get at the same money can put the lightning sprint towards the front and the 305 a turd. Can you race somewhat cost effectively and be competitive in the 305? Or just stick with the Lightning sprints?? Maybe Im wrong but that is why I am looking for information. Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope I posted this in the right forum. (this is my first post).

thanks again!

8/6/18, 2:46 PM   #2
Re: Lightning Sprints VS. 305 Sprints
Jim Gardner

Call Andy Bradley 812-345-3946 in Bloomington. Builds both, races both, sells cars and parts for both, owns the lighting sprint series in Indiana, Etc...

1 member likes this post: cmiracingvids
8/7/18, 2:18 PM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
Call Andy Bradley 812-345-3946 in Bloomington. Builds both, races both, sells cars and parts for both, owns the lighting sprint series in Indiana, Etc...
JMHO, but if I had it to do over again, and I don't I would go with my 2nd choice from back then, a decently priced, not wrung out, 410 sprint, and I'd probably go with a Ford, at the current costs vs payouts, any of the 3 choices are pretty much a wash, but, IMHO, at the end of a season, you'll probably spend about the same $$ on them all, if you go with the sprint car, and live somewhere close to the Central part, you can get a lot of seat time, and unless you have already gotten a lot of that, you'll need it. I think, from my personal experience, the Sprint car, 410, will allow you to pick up sponsors easier, used, good parts are very plentiful, and at the end of the day, if you don't have the urge to be a wins every race kinda guy, you will probably have more return on you investment, plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to explain to someone what kind of race car do you own, not, but try any of the other 2 choices!

4 members like this post: DAD, Leohr46, motorhead748, Speedmax3
8/7/18, 3:38 PM   #4
motorhead748

^i pretty much agree with TQ29 except for the ford part & I'm a ford guy. And I'd add, if you have zero to very little experience around race cars spend a summer going to the track with someone. You'll learn far more than you would on your own.

2 members like this post: erich45, Leohr46
8/7/18, 4:28 PM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
JMHO, but if I had it to do over again, and I don't I would go with my 2nd choice from back then, a decently priced, not wrung out, 410 sprint, and I'd probably go with a Ford, at the current costs vs payouts, any of the 3 choices are pretty much a wash, but, IMHO, at the end of a season, you'll probably spend about the same $$ on them all, if you go with the sprint car, and live somewhere close to the Central part, you can get a lot of seat time, and unless you have already gotten a lot of that, you'll need it. I think, from my personal experience, the Sprint car, 410, will allow you to pick up sponsors easier, used, good parts are very plentiful, and at the end of the day, if you don't have the urge to be a wins every race kinda guy, you will probably have more return on you investment, plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to explain to someone what kind of race car do you own, not, but try any of the other 2 choices!
Them old Sprint Cars are Thirsty Beasts even the little ones. Then you have to be honest with your self and ask yourself >>Can I come up with enough friends to move that thing around both at the track and back home. There arent many open wheel cars you can start up and drive to the track.

8/7/18, 4:32 PM   #6
DAD

One other thing I have noticed with the pay out the 305's and Mini Sprints and TQ's command it is now possible to attend an all Open Wheel Race Night.

8/8/18, 10:04 AM   #7
Quantrill

Depending on where you are located consider USAC D2s. 2.4 liter motors are inexpensive and this is a very affordable class. There are two main groups. One in Indiana http://www.midwestthundermidgets.com/ and one in IL. Look up IMRA on Facebook for more information on the IL group.
Last edited by Quantrill; 8/8/18 at 10:05 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints VS. 305 Sprints