IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > observation #2, a revolution?
5/4/18, 12:36 PM   #11
Chase Hightower

And that last post is not meant to be a “dig” at anyone or their likes or dislikes. I just like the older stuff.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
5/4/18, 1:06 PM   #12
cshuman

My point was, many of the body panels (not all) are there for a reason, and that reason is to help the drivers. Our sport, just like all the others are evolving, especially when it comes to safety. I agree that some of the cars back in the day looked badass. I think the same about some cars today as well. Sprint cars at one time had no roll cage, but that doesn’t mean we should do that now, just so a fan can see the drivers move their arms. Sprint car racing is more competitive then it has EVER been in my opinion. Doesn’t matter if it is local non wings, or the WoO there has never been such good racing. Go enjoy it 👍

5/4/18, 1:14 PM   #13
Chase Hightower

Don’t disagree with that at all. After reading my post, it came off kind of smart a** and it wasn’t intended that way.

5/4/18, 6:08 PM   #14
Re: observation #2, a revolution?
Backitin

A 70 chevelle might look better then a new Honda but pales in all ways compared to say a new 700 hp Challenger or Camaro or mustang. I love old cars and never thought I'd say it but I'd take a brand new muscle car compared to a 60's or 70's car. As far as race cars, they hit they're peak with the gurney eagle.

5/4/18, 6:46 PM   #15
chastaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
As I started off my 2018 racing season at LPS a couple weeks back, I noticed a trend that, in my opinion has gone too far. I believe it was the 6 car, Clouser's I believe, that looked from the grand stand to have only about 3 or 4 inches of visibility out the right side of the car due to the ever growing panels attached to the frame. If they had a square tank, it would look almost like the old supers that ran at Plymouth and South Bend that dad used to take to watch back in the early 70s. Now I know in sprint car's, the horse is way too far out of the barn to make a call for change, but I think we should call for a revolution for the silver crown cars that there's no body work above the driver's sight line over the hood. I'm not asking for cars to look like the Kurtz 30 or the Delrose 12, but let's keep it so us fans can at least see their helmets! Anyone else up for a revolt?
Coming from a former racer, trust me that those panels help a lot when the car in front of you spins a rock at you at 100mph plus. I have had some go completely through 2 panels and still bruise my arm.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Racer12, trackprep, trannyman
5/4/18, 9:58 PM   #16
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Looks matter. If all I cared about was good racing, I have two weekly stock car tracks in my hometown that provide that. Instead, I travel many hours to see sprint cars and like them because they look like sprint cars. Or, at least they used to. Don't go quite as much now and the look of the cars has a lot to do with that along with dusty tracks and the disappearance of most half mile racing.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, streetglider
5/4/18, 9:59 PM   #17
flagboy55

Some good response from all of you and of course Casey I certainly value your opinion as your still out there getting it done on numerous levels. But like you said they ran without cages at places like Langhorne, seems not an unreasonable request to have no panels above the drivers sight line. Like I said, there's too many sprints and midgets to think about changing it,but the Big Car's, a series that I think should perhaps try to straddle the line between past and present, I think it should be considered. I still love it all, but some food for thought

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
5/5/18, 7:41 AM   #18
david mitchell
Banned

The post about I just want to see just good hard racing, I don’t care what it is,has to be the most illogical statement ever made on these pages.if I go to the Indianapolis 500 I want to see Indy Cars,not mini stocks.When something ceases to be what it once was it is no longer that.Exhibit A,formula one cars with halo.Personally,I don’t mind the look of the Sprint cars and Midgets of today,but I know of many people who could care less because they bare lttle resemblance to the cars of the past.They are sprintcars in name only.One of only many reasons why this type of racing is dying.

5/5/18, 11:56 AM   #19
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
As I started off my 2018 racing season at LPS a couple weeks back, I noticed a trend that, in my opinion has gone too far. I believe it was the 6 car, Clouser's I believe, that looked from the grand stand to have only about 3 or 4 inches of visibility out the right side of the car due to the ever growing panels attached to the frame. If they had a square tank, it would look almost like the old supers that ran at Plymouth and South Bend that dad used to take to watch back in the early 70s. Now I know in sprint car's, the horse is way too far out of the barn to make a call for change, but I think we should call for a revolution for the silver crown cars that there's no body work above the driver's sight line over the hood. I'm not asking for cars to look like the Kurtz 30 or the Delrose 12, but let's keep it so us fans can at least see their helmets! Anyone else up for a revolt?
I agree with you. Some may argue for visibility, but thats kinda tongue and cheek, its about aero. The more surface area you can face into the wind, the faster you go. Simple as that. I like a cleaner look myself and being able to exit the car on the left side if need be.

5/5/18, 12:25 PM   #20
captrat

There is a delicate balance between safety and sports entertainment. I continue to be concerned about the spectator being able to connect with human element of the sport. IMHO this is one of the reasons that various forms of motorsport prosper while others are on the wane. No one wants to sacrifice safety, however, it would seem their should be reasonable compromise for fan enjoyment and competitor safety.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > observation #2, a revolution?