God Bless You Dale!
I couldn’t agree more

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
8/15/22, 11:07 AM   #22
Re: Knoxville Sold Out
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Openwheelfan1 You’re in some way taking me where I’m hoping to go. I understand completely that there is no comparison in the size and commitment to the event. But I’m trying to keep it “in class”. We’ve gotten a little off track, no pun intended. ISW is different in that it travels to different tracks 4 crown is different with 3 classes. The purpose of the comparison is twofold. First, the size and popularity I think is a great gauge on the overall comparison of W vs NW. We talk about guys leaving wingless for wings. It’s very clear there’s a much bigger demand for wings except here in Indiana. Secondly, 30,000 filled up the Marion County Fairgrounds Saturday night, and I’m wondering if we can fill Kokomo Speedway in a week and a half from now in the state that’s the undisputed bastion of non wing racing. All of it seems to me to be a very accurate study on the supply/demand of sprint car racing.
I’m very proud to be a diehard Hoosier state sprint car fan. I want Indiana to continue to be the paragon of wingless, and continuing to make Smackdown a premier event will help keep up our reputation

This is one of the better debates I have seen on here in a long time. There is reality and discernment, which means people are seeing a macro picture of sprint car racing vs. the micro of what I like to watch.

There are couple things at play here:

-Promotion. This is a big problem and many of you on the board know it. Knoxville promotes the Nationals 365 days a year. We are two weeks out from Smackdown and there is barely any mention of it except in the racing circles here in Indiana. How do you draw in new people? Where does it come from? KNIA the radio station in IA does the races weekly and reaches alot of listeners who may or may not attend. They're reaching more demographics too. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of diversity I saw this week. This leads into my next point

-Maketing $'s. How many people can I reach and what is my cost to obtain a new customer. If NOS spent $250K to be the title sponsor last week they spent probably $2.50 per head over the 4 nights of racing. I figured total attendance for the week was roughly 100K. The preliminary nights had better attendance than I had seen in years. Does that fit their model on what it cost to obtain a new customer plus they provided free product all week long. What did Casey's spend to be an associate sponsor? I stop at one when I get a chance and support them so its working. People want to sign up and spend their Marketing $'s there because its clearly getting them a return on their money. The place was wrapped with banners and signage top to bottom around the facility. That's a lot of eyes on your brand. Someone will be a customer because of it. Both sponsors already have cars.

These are the things that is really missing with the stuff in Indiana. Not saying its going to change things overnight, but if you want to grow the sport/event you need to promote and market it as a destination event. Time will tell if it truly becomes a destination event and if the things needed to make it occur take shape.

8/15/22, 11:45 AM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Too be honest, If not for IOW I wouldn't of known these three MSCS races existed. Nothing on FB. Haven't been on Twitter since Musk pulled out.

Yeah, Im out here Cincy way but go if and when I can and if I know about it.

Burg advertises sprint week, usac, woo.
But I don't hear or see anything on Florence or Moler Raceway either and they are roughly same distance for me.

Advertising alone doesn't do it. People have been going to the nationals for decades, It's a established event they go home and tell friends about. Return as often as they can. Sprint week's reached that status. But still probably best crowd is less than half Knox.

Midget week, Well, Quite frankly it's not supported. Id don't know if it's the rev limiter rule or what. But powri and a lot of independents . Where are they?

What does Grandview hold? I've seen that place packed for Eastern Storm.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/15/22, 12:25 PM   #24
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Too be honest, If not for IOW I wouldn't of known these three MSCS races existed. Nothing on FB.
Chuck,

Not sure which FB you are looking at , but yes these events have and were always promoted on FB and on MSCS schedule for a long time. Facts please.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 8/15/22 at 12:52 PM.

5 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, fish, racenut69, TBONE, yeleyfan76
8/15/22, 1:14 PM   #25
The55

Except for the first year or two, it doesn’t seem Smackdown is near a sell out. The first two nights always have a lot of open seats. Saturday is typically fairly full but usually quite a few empty seats around me. I was shocked at the poor attendance for Kokomo sprint week. Yes, I realize it was a weeknight but still surprising. It is frustrating that folks always clamor for big paying shows but don’t fill the stands for one of the best events in sprint car racing.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/15/22, 1:25 PM   #26
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Chuck,

Not sure which FB you are looking at , but yes these events have and were always promoted on FB and on MSCS schedule for a long time. Facts please.
Facebook and other social media outlets are only a part of the equation, solely relying on them to get your message out is a huge miss.

Sadly real race promotion is no longer the norm. You have to have a hook to get people in the front gate, the party at Knoxville is as much a draw as anything else. Much like the Indianapolis 500, where attendance at the 500 doesn't necessarily translate into attendance at other events.

Also, at Knoxville you get their regulars vs the WoO travelers. Local fans want to see their regulars do well against the travelers, and they want to see the WoO regulars they don't get to see on a regular basis. If I am an Indiana sprint car fan I can see most everyone at Smackdown at any of the other Indiana tracks, just about any time.

I love Kokomo and think the world of the O'Connor family, but I don't see Smackdown taking on a life similar to Knoxville.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/15/22, 3:11 PM   #27
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The city of Kokomo is more aware of the track than it used to be. For years there was no involvement. When the Smackdown first started, I went out to local businesses, and let them know about what was going on. We sat up driver appearances in several restaurants. Although the population isn't 60,000, there is more for people do in Kokomo than a place like Knoxville. Our local daily paper downsized in 2020 to 5 days a week. With it we lost a weekly racing column, that didn't help. Josh Spencer has been active trying to boost community involvement, and does a good job. Let me know if you are coming, and I would be more than happy to try to steer you in the right direction.
A reporter for the Kokomo paper stopped me and interviewed me at the first Smackdown. He was surprised I came that far to a dirt track race. Brent or Asha (Brent's wife) sent me my picture from the paper and the article. I told him these three girls drove further and pointed to Brooke who is now Mrs. Casey Shuman and her two friends Julie Wright and always forget the others name.

That was also the first time we had a stripper pole at The Frolic. LOL Aussie Wayne was the best on it I have pictures and a video to prove it.

8/15/22, 3:45 PM   #28
DirtTrackTherapy16J

So I wasnt going to comment on this since I have never been to Knoxville, but this has been a positive debate for the most part and fun to read. I will add a few things. If you dont like it, fine, your choice, but dont come at me with name calling, being immature, all that negative b.s. If you dont like it, then just ignore it and scroll on and act your age. Some is facts, some is opinions.

So Smackdown does get promoted in some ways, highly unlikely like Knoxville does. We have a radio station in Kokomo that has been promoting it for a few weeks or so. WWKI 100.5FM. Country radio station. Not everyone around here listens to country music, especially the newer country music. Also being a small business owner myself, it is not cheap to advertise and promote via radio. No social media is not a good way to solely depend on either. However as Funk said, there are other businesses that get behind it and support it and promote it and individuals like him, myself, one he mentioned, others in this town that do all they can, talk all they can, but yet again, probably not like Knoxville.

It's not a week long party. Only about half a week. No the town doesnt stop or shut down or have parades or festivals. Some people in this town hates the track and racing and noise and etc. Its how they are, their not race fans, their loss/choice. That also does not help. As another said, no most the hotels doesnt even know what Smackdown is. No welcome race fans or deals/discounts, anything like that.

One factor that I personally see and think is an issue, is age. Please noone on here take it the wrong way bc that's not what it's intended for. Around here, the younger crowd is very very light and small at the race tracks. Most businesses cant even get the younger crowd to work, as I'm sure alot of you in your respective towns and areas have the same problem. I know people in their 20s and even early 30s that wont leave their house unless they have to and it has nothing to do with Covid or the economy. It's sad. Most of what I see at the tracks are dye hards, race travelers, or families. Example was Saturday night at US24 Speedway. 60-75% of the people around us didnt even know who Daison Pursley was, much less his injury situation and comeback story. Had no idea why some were in happy tears, screaming in joy, clapping, etc. It was families or people looking for affordable entertainment. Not your typical race fan. The fan base is growing older, some even passing on, not too much of a younger crowd. The 2 primary groups I spend time with, I'm the youngest in both groups at 40. The one group even picks on me and laughs at me calling me the baby at 40.

Something I havent seen anyone really discuss or talk about either is property size, rules/laws, city/county ordinances. Kokomo does not have the property Knoxville or Eldora has. Also neither does Terre Haute. Has Mr. Ronk and the others done a great job with TH, IN MY OPINION yes!!!! However, it's on the Fairgrounds and that becomes a factor. Kokomo is "landlocked" in a round about way. KG is on one side and is never going anywhere, it's one of the biggest grain operations in the state and midwest, its a farming community whether anyone likes farmers or not, outside of the big 3 factories in Kokomo. Then you got Davis Road and the RR tracks. Neither are going anywhere. So that leaves the farm ground west and north, along with the trash company and building. Those are the only directions the track could go for more parking, more camping, bigger pits, etc. It is possible as the farm ground belongs to extended family of mine who I help with harvest, but it would take ALOT of money to buy the farm ground as is the same for the trash company/building. Even then would it be Knoxville, probably not. Would it be Eldora, probably not. Lots and lots of history with those 2 tracks, as I would call the tracks, owners, promoters, past and present, Legends!!

I am very biased on this subject, Kokomo is the best track in the state hands down, top 5 in the nation, IF you ask me and IN MY OPINION. I love the O'connor Family, always hugs and handshakes at every race, I respect the hell out of them and how hard they work to make Kokomo what it is. Also another good friend of mine with them in combination, they all got me back into racing after my accident at 13 yrs old. However, will it ever be Knoxville or Eldora, highly unlikely. Those of us that wish it was or wish Smackdown was, we can always dream, hope, and wish. As one said, IF I hit the lottery real big, I'd do everything I could to turn Kokomo into a Knoxville track or Eldora track!! In the mean time, great positive debate that I have enjoyed reading, good day to all, and enjoy what we/you have, while we/you still have it.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 8/15/22 at 3:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
8/15/22, 4:50 PM   #29
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
So I wasnt going to comment on this since I have never been to Knoxville, but this has been a positive debate for the most part and fun to read. I will add a few things. If you dont like it, fine, your choice, but dont come at me with name calling, being immature, all that negative b.s. If you dont like it, then just ignore it and scroll on and act your age. Some is facts, some is opinions.

So Smackdown does get promoted in some ways, highly unlikely like Knoxville does. We have a radio station in Kokomo that has been promoting it for a few weeks or so. WWKI 100.5FM. Country radio station. Not everyone around here listens to country music, especially the newer country music. Also being a small business owner myself, it is not cheap to advertise and promote via radio. No social media is not a good way to solely depend on either. However as Funk said, there are other businesses that get behind it and support it and promote it and individuals like him, myself, one he mentioned, others in this town that do all they can, talk all they can, but yet again, probably not like Knoxville.

It's not a week long party. Only about half a week. No the town doesnt stop or shut down or have parades or festivals. Some people in this town hates the track and racing and noise and etc. Its how they are, their not race fans, their loss/choice. That also does not help. As another said, no most the hotels doesnt even know what Smackdown is. No welcome race fans or deals/discounts, anything like that.

One factor that I personally see and think is an issue, is age. Please noone on here take it the wrong way bc that's not what it's intended for. Around here, the younger crowd is very very light and small at the race tracks. Most businesses cant even get the younger crowd to work, as I'm sure alot of you in your respective towns and areas have the same problem. I know people in their 20s and even early 30s that wont leave their house unless they have to and it has nothing to do with Covid or the economy. It's sad. Most of what I see at the tracks are dye hards, race travelers, or families. Example was Saturday night at US24 Speedway. 60-75% of the people around us didnt even know who Daison Pursley was, much less his injury situation and comeback story. Had no idea why some were in happy tears, screaming in joy, clapping, etc. It was families or people looking for affordable entertainment. Not your typical race fan. The fan base is growing older, some even passing on, not too much of a younger crowd. The 2 primary groups I spend time with, I'm the youngest in both groups at 40. The one group even picks on me and laughs at me calling me the baby at 40.

Something I havent seen anyone really discuss or talk about either is property size, rules/laws, city/county ordinances. Kokomo does not have the property Knoxville or Eldora has. Also neither does Terre Haute. Has Mr. Ronk and the others done a great job with TH, IN MY OPINION yes!!!! However, it's on the Fairgrounds and that becomes a factor. Kokomo is "landlocked" in a round about way. KG is on one side and is never going anywhere, it's one of the biggest grain operations in the state and midwest, its a farming community whether anyone likes farmers or not, outside of the big 3 factories in Kokomo. Then you got Davis Road and the RR tracks. Neither are going anywhere. So that leaves the farm ground west and north, along with the trash company and building. Those are the only directions the track could go for more parking, more camping, bigger pits, etc. It is possible as the farm ground belongs to extended family of mine who I help with harvest, but it would take ALOT of money to buy the farm ground as is the same for the trash company/building. Even then would it be Knoxville, probably not. Would it be Eldora, probably not. Lots and lots of history with those 2 tracks, as I would call the tracks, owners, promoters, past and present, Legends!!

I am very biased on this subject, Kokomo is the best track in the state hands down, top 5 in the nation, IF you ask me and IN MY OPINION. I love the O'connor Family, always hugs and handshakes at every race, I respect the hell out of them and how hard they work to make Kokomo what it is. Also another good friend of mine with them in combination, they all got me back into racing after my accident at 13 yrs old. However, will it ever be Knoxville or Eldora, highly unlikely. Those of us that wish it was or wish Smackdown was, we can always dream, hope, and wish. As one said, IF I hit the lottery real big, I'd do everything I could to turn Kokomo into a Knoxville track or Eldora track!! In the mean time, great positive debate that I have enjoyed reading, good day to all, and enjoy what we/you have, while we/you still have it.
Good points at Knoxville it is right in town. (Though it wasn't in the beginning) Residents use their yards for parking and camping. Almost impossible at Knoxville to camp at the fairgrounds. They built a campground north of the track about a 1/4 of a mile. Having residents profiting from their yards and renting rooms at houses gets the community involved. When I have been to the Nationals, which has been when it was much smaller, we would have to drive 45 minutes to get a motel room. That definitely hurts as far as convenience, so renting a room is nice and people make lifelong friends. Some people are catching on in Kokomo. I know a friend who is renting a house for Smackdown for his family. Knoxville Nationals have been around for 61 years, that helps when building an event. The longer an event goes on, the bigger it will get. All it needs is the support of people who like non wing racing.

8/15/22, 5:25 PM   #30
flagboy55

16j. That’s part of the reason I started this thread is that the OConnor’s deserve a full house. As has been noted on many a post, their work ethic is among the best.
It’s also well documented the work the Spencer family has done for years to always help promote the track and events. What can we do to help fill it up?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Sold Out