IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Park - High Limit Racing - 35 Sprints signed in.
8/16/22, 11:12 PM   #21
Re: Lincoln Park - High Limit Racing - 35 Sprints signed in.
ginblueearth

Well only one team that I thought would come to Jackson showed up there, and that was Marks. The other ones are up here in Minnesota. And it did turn into what? Thought. People paid $40 to see. Basically, a weekend $15 show a few. All star teams did show up. And Larson did talk a few of his nascar buddies in the showing up. I'm glad to see the nonwing guys put the wings on. And get some money. But like I said before. How long is it gonna be before fans decide that this isn't worth $40.00? How long is it gonna be before Larson and Sweet figure out they need the World of Outlaw cars to make this work? Or this deal isn't gonna work. And then it's gonna be just like the USA. It's gonna split up the cars. And hurt sprint car raising.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
8/16/22, 11:24 PM   #22
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblueearth View Post
Well only one team that I thought would come to Jackson showed up there, and that was Marks. The other ones are up here in Minnesota. And it did turn into what? Thought. People paid $40 to see. Basically, a weekend $15 show a few. All star teams did show up. And Larson did talk a few of his nascar buddies in the showing up. I'm glad to see the nonwing guys put the wings on. And get some money. But like I said before. How long is it gonna be before fans decide that this isn't worth $40.00? How long is it gonna be before Larson and Sweet figure out they need the World of Outlaw cars to make this work? Or this deal isn't gonna work. And then it's gonna be just like the USA. It's gonna split up the cars. And hurt sprint car raising.
Like the Gumout series started by the late Ted Johnson.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, PIT CART
8/17/22, 6:37 AM   #23
DaleDuBois

I went against my better judgement. What I saw was not worth the $40 I paid to watch. I've seen much better shows for $15 or $20 at Lincoln Park. I even packed up and left before the feature was over.
Others were also leaving before it was over. There was lots of people there, maybe lots of them were wing sprint car wing loving people. Even some of these people thought (I paid $40 to see this). Larson and Sweet played it up big, but what they are wanting to do is not going to work. You can fool some of the people part of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

8/17/22, 7:52 AM   #24
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vookie View Post
Like the Gumout series started by the late Ted Johnson.
Wasn't the Gumout series for 360 winged sprints?

8/17/22, 8:07 AM   #25
dsc1600

No, Gumout was 410, designed to be a feeder series for the WoO which it actually was, as a lot of its drivers ended up on the series but it only lasted a couple of years.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, fish
8/17/22, 8:47 AM   #26
opnwhlmnd

While I like sprint cars like women ... topless ... I thought it was a good show. I've read on here many times there is no passing in wing cars and can't win if don't start in first two rows. What happens when they get in the middle of non-wing territory? Winner comes from 9th yet some say no passing and boring. Slick to a giant curb and slide job pass for the win. I've seen way more worse races at Putnamville.

As for the doom and gloom crowd that think this will hurt WoO and other series. Larson and Sweet have already said it's a mid-week only show series. It's like the Tuesday night late model series that Flo has. Flo CEO Mark Floreani is expanding his PPV service with mid-week sprint shows just like he did with the late models.

8/17/22, 9:46 AM   #27
Hoosiersprinter

I thought it was an outstanding show. Well run, professionally announced, and a very good car count. Neat to see Tim Crawley, Brent Marks, kofoid, Elliason, Larson obviously, Ricky Bobby, tanner carrick and the famous Swindell Speed Lab car along with our numerous USAC heroes. Well worth $40. I think u naysayers got it wrong.

8/17/22, 9:50 AM   #28
staggerman

Indiana Sprintweek cost $25 to get in and pays $6k to win and roughly $25k purse, last night was $40 to get in ($35 if you bought online ahead of the show) and paid $22k to win, $11k for second and on down for a $80k purse. I have listened to people on IOW bash the tracks don't pay the racers enough and here is a series that is stepping up to pay big money for mid-week shows that don't run against anyone. I thought the racing was great, I am sprint car fan, don't have to classify winged or nonwinged, I like them both. I would love to see this an annual event as LPS puts on some good winged racing. Why can't people just be happy they got to spend a night at the track.

8/17/22, 10:06 AM   #29
Bill Angel

What's with the negativity? Don't want to pay $40? Don't go! Where you going to see Bacon, Leary, Courtney, Koifoid, Wise, Windom etc and 4 Nascar drivers race and buy a ticket for $15?

How can a $22000+ payday for a race team on an off night be a bad thing?

8/17/22, 10:22 AM   #30
RoyMunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblueearth View Post
I think you are all missing the point. Larson scheduled this race knowing the Outlaws and All Stars were going in opposite directions in the coming days. What he is trying to accomplish is providing better paying races to guys who deserve it. You may complain about paying $40 to be entertained and not getting the big names, but you are contributing to guys finally getting paid a decent amount for the input costs of the sport. The handful of USAC regulars would have had to run top 5 in a national show or win a local show to get what they did to start last night. Justin Sanders said it best when he made the comment that he had never won that kind of money racing, let alone for running second.
If this thing continues to grow, bigger names may step away from the All Stars or break their Outlaw contracts to race, but I think anyone of them would have had their hands full on that track with the guys who ran up front. I for one thought it was a great race and it showcased Putnamville nicely.

Get off the wing vs non wing soapbox and look at the racers and car owners who put their money and well being on the line to entertain you. Regardless of the genre, these guys all need paid better purses. It’s clear that no one in the non-wing world is doing anything toward this, so I think you’ll continue to see guys making the switch like we have over the last few years. With 35 cars in the pits, I think it proved there are more than enough sprint cars to go around.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Park - High Limit Racing - 35 Sprints signed in.