IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It Ain’t Right
8/14/22, 11:13 PM   #21
Re: It Ain’t Right
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
While I acknowledge the rules are the same for everyone. I just can’t help but wonder what would’ve happened if it would’ve been 40 with no break like it should be. Sunshine had an almost 2.5 second lead and they said he was 3 mph faster than Gravel when the caution came out. Pure speculation on what would’ve happened, and David knowing that a reset is imminent, maybe he was just riding. But they were about to hit traffic. I certainly like Tyler’s chances better if it were a properly run race instead of a gimmick
Watching in person, in the first half of the race, Gravel appeared to be running at about 85% while Courtney appeared to be flat out. In the first half, Gravel was very precise with his moves in traffic, and while Courtney was very, VERY good, he did not look as smooth and precise in the last 5 laps before the break as Gravel did.

With all that said, I too wish they didn’t have the break. It does however add an interesting variable to the event.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Stevensville Mike
8/15/22, 4:43 PM   #22
motorhead748

How many more would steve or mark won if they’d gave Karl a second chance on setup?

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, mlamb, nathans1012
8/15/22, 4:54 PM   #23
flagboy55

Always love it when Stevensville Mike chimes in. Sorry I was mistaken, I thought it was 40 before. Anyway 748 is right. Give Karl a second chance would mean more seconds for everyone else. I suppose I’m a purest on this deal. I find no place for it in sprint racing.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
8/15/22, 5:04 PM   #24
brown11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
I hate to be the voice of reason here, but the WoO rule book states that they "recommend" a 33 gallon tank. They mention that their race length (green and yellow flag laps) will be based on that tank. I'm sure Knoxville is the exception. My observation is that most, if not all of the full time teams run the 33 gallon tank. The 33 gallon tank is the biggest Outlaw style tank that is currently available. Outlaw style means that the tank has inserts so you can bolt it in from the side. This is the way most chassis manufacturers have their chassis set up. It is also a lot safer than the old way we used to do it where we ran bolts with a washer through the tank. I honestly don't know for sure if a 410 outlaw motor can go 50 laps on 33 gallons of fuel. But even if it can, it wouldn't take many yellow flag laps for them to be out. Then you would need a fuel stop anyway. So being pro-active and having a mandatory stop makes sense to be. While I agree that a sprint car race should actually be a sprint, as a fan, I kind of like the longer races.

Tom Paterson
Please do not bring facts into an opinion argument.

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, mc/rider, PIT CART, stp6237
8/16/22, 8:46 PM   #25
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
I hate to be the voice of reason here, but the WoO rule book states that they "recommend" a 33 gallon tank. They mention that their race length (green and yellow flag laps) will be based on that tank. I'm sure Knoxville is the exception. My observation is that most, if not all of the full time teams run the 33 gallon tank. The 33 gallon tank is the biggest Outlaw style tank that is currently available. Outlaw style means that the tank has inserts so you can bolt it in from the side. This is the way most chassis manufacturers have their chassis set up. It is also a lot safer than the old way we used to do it where we ran bolts with a washer through the tank. I honestly don't know for sure if a 410 outlaw motor can go 50 laps on 33 gallons of fuel. But even if it can, it wouldn't take many yellow flag laps for them to be out. Then you would need a fuel stop anyway. So being pro-active and having a mandatory stop makes sense to be. While I agree that a sprint car race should actually be a sprint, as a fan, I kind of like the longer races.

Tom Paterson
Your opinion and insight are always held in the highest levels here in this house of forum posting.

Thanks for the input, Tom.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing
8/16/22, 10:35 PM   #26
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

It was 30 for the first 48, 40 for the 49th, and 50 since. They should go back to 30 and get rid of the manufactured drama. They can do what they want. I was there in the 70's and 80's, enough said.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier
8/17/22, 6:46 AM   #27
miledirt

Love the format
Huge sell out crowd
This deal ain't broke, lets not try to fix it

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, dsc1600, jdull99
8/17/22, 4:15 PM   #28
flagboy55

Oppweld is 100 % spot on, and Tom validated my point when he says he’s not sure they could run 50. So don’t!

8/17/22, 4:52 PM   #29
bigvee

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 40

I know it's a smaller track, but they ran 55 laps at Pevely the week before Knoxville without an open red.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It Ain’t Right